mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Front Shock for 26

I am building a bike with bits and pieces I have. But I need a new shock. Don't need the top of the line or lightest available. Just a reasonably priced cross country shock for on old specialized epic. Even a closeout from prior year would work.

Does anybody have any suggestions or recommendations. Conversely, any shocks to stay away from.

Thanks

mtbr member
    You are probably looking for a shock in the range of 100-120mm. A Fox 32 float would be perfect but on the higher but of course you do get the nice Fox dampening. Another nice option would be a RockShox U-turn that would give you the option to change the travel from 80-120mm. There are tons of other forks out in the market like X-fusion, Marzocchi that make great small travel XC forks. I usually stick with what I know.

Old and Crusty
    Nov 2010
    I'm nobody - but have been on a budget this year and needed a good front shock, I had been running a Marzocchi Bomber shock that came stock on my bike. After pricing and shopping for a few months I went with a Rockshox Sektor Solo Air which had more travel, albeit not a whole lot of adjustability, but is in my price range. So far I have loved this shock, maybe this is something to look at. Pricepoint has it for mid $400 range.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks, I will have a look at these. Somebody also contacted me offlist with a used shock but it didn't work out. If anybody has a good used shock for sale let me know. no older than 2010, 100-120 travel, 1 1/8, standard QR, 26in wheel, at least 8inch steerer tube.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Check out the pink bike classifieds. Lots of forks for a good price there this time of year.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk