mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Frame painting/powder coating

Looking into refinishing my 2005 Lenz Leviathan frame. It was my first FS 29er, and kind of a classic. While my mechanical abilities are solid, my ninja skills for such a project are marginal. So I thought I would ask if anyone could give me their thoughts and a referral to a shop in the area that would explain finish options and do a good job. Thanks for any info you could pass along.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    There is a place in Fall city that come well recommended. Can't remember the name....

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    bull dog powder coat or craigcraft, both are by mukilteo speedway....if you want paint most auto body shops would/should do it for you.

I got the velcros
    Sep 2010
    Seattle Powder Coat.

Used them for a full suspension frame last year and it turned out top notch.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks much for that info. Does anyone know of a shop in Sumner that does powder coating, I seem to remember an ad on Craigslist several months ago. It may have been an autobody shop. Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C. View Post
    Thanks much for that info. Does anyone know of a shop in Sumner that does powder coating, I seem to remember an ad on Craigslist several months ago. It may have been an autobody shop. Thanks
    Hey K.C, there is a powder coating co in Parkland on 112th and about portland ave. i have seen it on the north side of 112th or the left side driving east.
    The Jackster. you must earn your turns and ride to the top.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks Glen, I saw you were at Banner yesterday.

mtbr member
    K.C., there is also a guy in kingston off of 104 by port gamble that does frames, however I have never seen his work, But the guys @ seattle powdercoat are awesome! they did a whole frame and fork for me a few years back for $175, and it came out great!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtec View Post
    Seattle Powder Coat.

Used them for a full suspension frame last year and it turned out top notch.
    +1 for Seattle Powder Coat, they did a great job on my old Yeti.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sgsrider View Post
    K.C., there is also a guy in kingston off of 104 by port gamble that does frames, however I have never seen his work, But the guys @ seattle powdercoat are awesome! they did a whole frame and fork for me a few years back for $175, and it came out great!
    Kingston is easy to check out, I have to head up that way later in the week. I also checked out Seattle Powder Coat, looks good. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Welcome to Advanced Powder Coating NW!

Got mine done there. Got a rough finish. Looks anodized. It was between $150-$200 if I remember correctly.

Mt Baker Powder Coating is what Drop N Zone uses as well. Haven't used them, but have heard good things.
    "Bound to cover just a little more ground"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    These guys do good work. They are in Auburn.

americanpowdercoat.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thank you playdead and BCross for that info.

mtbr member
    I think the guy in Kingston is Kitsap Powdercoating? They should be in the business park there off 104 and 3.

I got the velcros
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BCross View Post
    These guys do good work. They are in Auburn.

americanpowdercoat.com
    I've also used them for work projects. They are very good, but complicated jobs can require some extra hand holding on your part, as has happened to me on some past jobs.

So give them extremely clear instructions.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    While not close to you KC, Express Finishing in Redmond does a good job and are pretty cheap and quick if anyone in that area needs the service.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    so if you have a frame powder coated, am i correct in assuming that you have to remove all of the parts before dropping it off?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jojotherider View Post
    so if you have a frame powder coated, am i correct in assuming that you have to remove all of the parts before dropping it off?

Yes, unless you want everything sand blasted and powder coated
    "Bound to cover just a little more ground"

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Removing components takes a little time but not a big deal. Headset and crank biggest issues, but no problem. Frame suspension on the Lenz very simple, I replaced all bushings last year. I started replacing all bolts,reducers and bushings on my RIP9 a while back, and found I needed special press tools (and skilz) . I ended up taking it into a shop I trusted for finishing the job. Turned out great.

Biking Like Crazy!
    Go for a "raw" look K.C. and just strip the frame. It'll save weight so you can
    do your 20-40 milers out at Capitol and not get SO tired!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Outstanding idea, not getting any younger. I'm liking the way you think.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgsrider View Post
    I think the guy in Kingston is Kitsap Powdercoating? They should be in the business park there off 104 and 3.
    KC. I've used Kitsap Powdercoating for my wife's road bike. They do excellent work and have some wicked options (e.g. crushed glass in the powder coat). Stock colors are a good deal (that's what Fisher used). Hers was a bit more, but holds up excellent. The threads were protected and I didn't have any excessive buildup. Come on by sometime if you want and take a look.

They do everything up there. Nice people. Cool shop.

Quick turnaround too.
    [SIZE="2"]http://kitsapmtb.com/[/SIZE]