Thread: Fishhook Flats?

JRA
    mtbr member

Fishhook Flats?

Used to see quite a few ride reports from folks riding this trail but it seems to have fallen out of the popularity list. Do people still ride FF or is there some good reason why they don't? Thinking of heading out this year to revisit FF ... haven't been out that way in several years.

Slothful dirt hippie
    I did it a few weeks ago. Honestly, my take on the FHF trail itself is that it's chowed up albeit interesting on the way down, and an irritating slog/HAB back out. Makes for a nice enough shorter Taneum loop but if I have more time I've definitely got other routes on my radar.

We tried to do Taneum Junction- road past the gate to NF bridge- climb through clear cut to CE ridge- Windy Pass- NF all the way back down weekend before last with Ward and another buddy. Plans changed on the ridge top with reports from motos of snow between the saddle and Windy pass on CE ridge, then there was a massive ugly thunder cell brewing in the Windy Pass direction.... so it was decided we'd try to find the Lightning Point trail and give that a whirl.

Unfortunately a misleading FS sign put us on an elk trail, and by the time we figured it out we'd lost so much vert we pretty much had to keep going. I reckon we spent at least an hour carrying/shoving bikes over/through/under brush. Fun times! Ended up squirted out on an old tank-trapped logging spur that took us back out to the NF bridge.

Fortunately we had the SteriPen with us so we could keep pulling water out of the creek. Husby only had a cup or two of water left in a 100oz camelbak and he'd been drinking out of the treated bottle too. 7.5 hours truck-to-truck, 27+ miles, 7,200'+ vert, a whole lotta mud and crud on bikes and people. No mechanicals or injuries though. Oh... and the thunder cell disappeared without turning into anything significant after all.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    That's a ride to remember!, 7,200!, wow! I haven't ridden there in a few years, I used to ride there regularly but I have less time for full day bike trips nowadays (small kids, living in Tacoma). I did notice some changes in that trail over the past 25-10 years; my theory is that the closing of the moto areas near I-90 pushed the beginner riders on smaller wheel slower dirt bikes back into those nearby areas. The whoop-de-do type bumps in the trails got a lot shorter and tighter in the years after those moto trails closed. I imagine that the faster larger wheel dirt bikes keep those bumps spread out, but the small slow bikes cause the bumps to get closer together. It was a lot smoother and faster way-back-when, pre-bridges it was very cool, but that creek is cold in the spring!

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by jimPacNW View Post
    ....pre-bridges it was very cool, but that creek is cold in the spring!
    We rode NF many times before the bridges were put in. Honestly I'm a fan, since it means you can ride this route MUCH earlier in the season than would have been advisable before.

My abiding memory of the pre-bridge-years will always be husby riding into the creek clipped in, doing a slow stall, and tipping over into the water to thrash around on his side laughing while trying to get his cleat undone, lol.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."