Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Fire in Devils Gulch

We had a huge thunder storm hit last evening.

Started numerous fires including one being tagged as Devils Gulch. Said to be 60-70 acres as of this morning with fire crews on the scene.

Between 5 and 7 pm a highly localized storm dropped 1.5-3.0 inches of rain and hail on Wenatchee, causing mudslides and flooding. No. 2 Canyon Road is closed because of slides and flooding.

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2...intersections/
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Justin Vander Pol
    This is interesting. The Devils/Mission area has been a concern for backcountry fire fighters for a while, due to the politics of not doing controlled burns. Lots of fuel in there, and if they don't get it under control, could be a really big burn.

I was chatting with the Forest Service fire crew chief a few years ago when getting chainsaw certified. The science and politics behind wildland fires is really interesting.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

Quote Originally Posted by juice
    This is interesting. The Devils/Mission area has been a concern for backcountry fire fighters for a while, due to the politics of not doing controlled burns. Lots of fuel in there, and if they don't get it under control, could be a really big burn.

I was chatting with the Forest Service fire crew chief a few years ago when getting chainsaw certified. The science and politics behind wildland fires is really interesting.
    And there is a lot of fuel in there that is beyond the help of any controlled burn.
    mtbtires.com

Slothful dirt hippie
    The Table Mountain/Lion Rock area has so much old, dead, diseased crap stuffed in there that it's going to be insane when it finally goes. If the DG fire really gets rollin', who knows how far it could spread....
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Kool-Aid, Kool-Aid, Taste Great... Oh Yeaahh!

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by All_talk
    Thanks for the link.
    "Because of public and firefighter safety concerns and threat of fire in the area, people are asked to avoid using roads and trails in the following areas: Mission Creek, Sand Ck, Devils Gulch, Beehive Reservoir, Liberty-Beehive Road and Tronsen Ridge."
    Bummer...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    bummer. Last night I was actually just starting to plan out a trip there in two weeks.

FS pic of the Devils Gulch fire as of yesterday.

http://gis.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/co...e-update.shtml
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    And there is a lot of fuel in there that is beyond the help of any controlled burn.
    Due to decades of neglect.
    "It looks flexy"

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    Due to decades of neglect.
    FWIW I was just talking to Mikki Douglass @ the Cle Elum FS on my lunch today, and she said that some regional folks had actually requested to thin out some obviously problem areas... and were shot down. By someone. I'm assuming it was the usual adminisphere vs peeps-in-the-trench thing. The really annoying part is that vast swaths of what COULD have been commercially productive forest have succombed to budworm and beetles in the meantime, and needless to say are spawning ground for these pest's continued spread into currently healthy stands.

So at this point they're keenly aware of the local fuel buildup spots, and like the rest of us are pretty much just waiting for them to go up.

Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr
    FWIW I was just talking to Mikki Douglass @ the Cle Elum FS on my lunch today, and she said that some regional folks had actually requested to thin out some obviously problem areas... and were shot down. By someone. I'm assuming it was the usual adminisphere vs peeps-in-the-trench thing. The really annoying part is that vast swaths of what COULD have been commercially productive forest have succombed to budworm and beetles in the meantime, and needless to say are spawning ground for these pest's continued spread into currently healthy stands.

So at this point they're keenly aware of the local fuel buildup spots, and like the rest of us are pretty much just waiting for them to go up.
    I really do not want this to turn into a debate on management practices past and present.

The current conditions are what they are, and what will happen will happen. We also have many areas where it is not practical to get into for any sort of major work. Just too steep/remote, which is why they were not cut in the past.
    mtbtires.com

born again
    That looks like Mission Ridge, can't tell for sure.
    Classic Cascade Rides

Original quote by Pinchflat:
    The faster you go the shorter the ride!

Quote Originally Posted by gearz
    That looks like Mission Ridge, can't tell for sure.
    I am guessing that it is a ridge just the east of the DG/MR ridge and west of Rd 7100. No roads or trails in there.
    mtbtires.com

Now in mop up phase.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    is any part of mission creek road blocked off for access? was going to ride the gulch on thurs

Quote Originally Posted by JCOX98
    is any part of mission creek road blocked off for access? was going to ride the gulch on thurs
    The whole area is closed to public access until further notice.
    mtbtires.com

All bike, all the time

Devils Gulch/Mission Ridge may open by weekend

Forest Service in Leavenworth says fire is 100 pct lined, no trails were affected, and area may be open by tomorrow (Friday 8/6). Looks like we dodged the bullet.
    All bike, all the time

Quote Originally Posted by BikeIntelligencer
    Forest Service in Leavenworth says fire is 100 pct lined, no trails were affected, and area may be open by tomorrow (Friday 8/6). Looks like we dodged the bullet.
    Yup. As of this morning roads accessing the area are still closed to all but fire personnel.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr

I make part of my living writing about forest thinning... it's a serious problem set up by da gov't and various other people. Too bad
    "It looks flexy"

I like rocks
    Nov 2007
    Closure has been lifted:

http://www.inciweb.org/incident/article/2052/10364/

Still a heavy haze of smoke in the Wenatchee Valley and surrounding areas due to other fires in the region.
    If you go looking for trouble, you can be sure it's gaining from behind.

mtbr member
    Drove through the pass last night. Still smells pretty smoky in the area. Man, I forgot just how far away it is from me!
    "It looks flexy"