mtbr member
    May 2004

Finally Glenn rode Moss Lake

Been wanting to get him out there for a couple years since the connector property behind the park is up for sale and the county has already been out there a few times to look at it. Missed the sale this year but KingCo says its at the top of the list for next year. Slop talked him into going so we rode out there on Monday for a few hours... Went down to Stossel Creek in a couple places but too high to cross. Ran into Bev out there which was nice. Local gal who is 75 and works real hard out there to keep the trails up and keeps getting KingCo involved. Nice to see he was, "pleasantly surprised"...

EMBA Member
    Spent a couple hours out there this morning. First time I've been to Moss Lake. Had a good time. I'll definitely be back for more - next time with some leg protection though. Lots of nettles and vines.

Not far from the entrance.

Finally Glenn rode Moss Lake-moss-lakectrail.jpg

I found a little used trail down to a stream. It looked like the trail continued across the stream, but I stayed dry.

Finally Glenn rode Moss Lake-stream-1.jpg

Someone has gone to some effort with the signs and trail decorations. Lots of stuff to see if you look around. There is an Elmo themed trail with lots of Elmo's of course. No pictures of that. Next time.

Finally Glenn rode Moss Lake-sign-2.jpg

Finally Glenn rode Moss Lake-winston-hwy-sign.jpg

Finally Glenn rode Moss Lake-ducky.jpg

Finally Glenn rode Moss Lake-spider.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yep. That's Bev's work. Either you like it or hate it. She's actually had people that go through there taking everything out... You see more actually going slow when doing trail work out there. bit, the trail name markers are a nice touch. The trail down to Stossel Creek does indeed head over to the river trail which parallels the upper Tolt River to the N FK /S Fk confluence and is very cool in a "Middle Fork" sort of way. Boulders, rapids, et al. It's really just 150 feet to your right after crossing the creek. The land on the other side of the creek is also PSE property with permanent public access which is very cool. (The creek will get low enough later in the summer to rock hop across with dry feet.) Lots of spawning salmon there in season as well. A more mellow option and "climbable has been walked to the downstream side a few times and it looks doable. The good way to do that loop is out Memorial and down to the river which means there's the 200 yard hike a bike out... Memorial is likely pretty overgrown as I'm not sure if anyone has been out to brush it out yet this year.

EMBA Member
    The trail markers are easily readable and low cost. Seems like a good solution. Someone could ride around with a complete set of replacements for any that went missing, at practically a zero cost, zero weight to haul around, and zero space in the pack. Regarding the trail decorations, IMO, anyone that spends their time maintaining the trails I ride can decorate them however they want, or not at all, and I'll just say THANKS!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I kinda look at it as a game of sorts. Trying to see which ones I have not noticed before. There are 3 "trail fairies" out there that took me a long time to notice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks to Borneo and Slop for taking me on a tour of the area. King County property, Hancock, PSE, Markworth - interesting mix of ownership and it would be a huge shame if the property up for sale got purchased by someone looking to close it to public use. It could permanently disconnect the different areas and effectively ruin some great riding.

Depending where you live it can be a bit of a haul to get out here but the trails are really a lot of fun and much of the forest is in better shape than most of what we get to ride around here.

Big kudos to Bev, her friends, and Borneo for what they've created and maintain ... add it to the list of areas to definitely check it out. I know I'll be back!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Finally Glenn rode Moss Lake

Little ole me was there in tow with Borneo & Slop & Glenn enjoying the trails that Borneo and Bev have developed. Nice trail system out there with some great opportunities to expand. We even got in a nice chat with Bev some.
    The trails are nice old school with roots and flat corners. Really nice.
    I'll be hauling my midday midweek riding group up there soon.
    I was really surprised at how nice the trailhead is as well.
    As a side note...I'm with AT&T and had now cell phone coverage. Really nice to get away from communication while being so close to civilization.

Cheers,
    Mike