mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Fat Bike snow riding around Seattle

Hey, got my fattie earlier this year and so far mostly enjoyed it for beach riding, and a single snow ride that one day of snow we got last month.

Are there any places for real snow riding close (say, 1h drive) from Seattle / the Eastside? Anywhere around the Snoqualmie Pass where riding is possible / allowed?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    A 75 minute drive (most days) will have you in the Roslyn/Cle Elum area. If the temps are sub freezing you can pretty much go anywhere a snowmobile has gone. I'd recommend starting with the rail trails- park at the South Cle Elum Depot and get on the John Wayne Iron Horse Trail, or catch the Coal Mines Trail in Cle Elum. The JWT is longer but the CMT give you more opportunities to explore side roads and trails. Another 30 minutes of driving will get you to the West Fork of the Teanaway or the Cooper River/Salmon La Sac areas where you can access some amazing groomed snomo trails. Be polite- you're riding on "their" trails! A key piece of gear to bring when snow biking (especially backcountry-ish stuff) is a thermometer. It can only take an hour for that awesome snow trail you rode out on to turn into slushy hell. Ask me how I know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    When the snow is low, Tiger Mt is fun to ride. Rail trail out of North Bend can be fun also.