Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    19

    Farewell (My MTB days are over)

    Hi Guys!

    Remember me? I was a trail builder at Duthie and Colonnade.

    Long story short? I can no longer ride mountain bikes due to a physical condition which causes me crippling pain. I used to be a regular builder at Duthie until early last year when I started getting symptoms. Unfortunately, bikes are the main cause.

    Good news is that riding bikes is the only thing I can't do. I can still do other sports and activities just as normal, but nothing is quite like riding a bike, which was my favorite thing to do until this last year.


    The great thing, is that I am now able to do more nature photography. Here's a link to my website. Check it out.

    website


    Since I've been out of the game for so long, where is the best place to sell used gear these days? Ebay used to be good but looks almost completely dead for MTB sales these days. I will post ads on MTBR, but any advice would be appreciated.

    I am going to give it 5 years or so and see if I can ride a bike again.

    To all the people I have ridden and built with over the years, THANKS! It was a good ride while it lasted!

    -Johan
    Last edited by Johan_Eickmeyer; 05-07-2012 at 06:56 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,231
    Thanks "Flow-han" for all you did. Even if the Toilety Bowl didn't last.... Get well soon.

  3. #3
    I5Troll
    Reputation: mwestra2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,180
    Damn sorry to hear about that, Flowhan! Hope you heal faster and are riding sooner than you think.

    **edit: totally messed up my user count #s. Corrected below...**

    Huge thanks for all your hard work shaping one of the most ridden 1/3-mile stretches of dirt on the planet... the Bootcamp DH. The first Duthie user count estimate was 100K visits per year. The latest estimate puts it much higher that. With all the riders lapping, learning and training on the Bootcamp DH, I wouldn't be surprised if it got 1/2 Million hits per year.
    Last edited by mwestra2; 05-07-2012 at 03:01 PM.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    19
    Thanks guys.

    Unfortunately, mountain biking alone is what caused my problem. I have never really crashed or injured myself from biking. It's the way it changes my poster which causes problems with my nervous system. If I can get away from working a desk job 40+ hours a week, it may help enough to let me back onto a bike.

    Too bad toilet bowl was put down, but at least my 140+ hours on bootcamp DH were well served. Last time I rode that section, it was crazy fast and flowy.

    I'll still keep my XC bike, but sell the more heavy duty parts I used to ride.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    522
    Not sure if we ever met, but thanks for the hard work and good luck to you.

    PS: You've got some sick long-exposure shots in your galleries. Those images from the coast are awesome! Good luck to your photo career, much respect!

  6. #6
    i'm schralping yer thread
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    690
    Damn Johan...hopefully not a permanent thing. Thanks again for all the work out at Duthie. Take it easy, broheim...

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    202

    Wish you well

    Hi Johan, wish you good health. I rode with you a few years back at McKenzie River, that was a great weekend. I remember you wading in the Blue Pool to recover a camera for Julie. Thanks for all the hard work and dedication you put into trail building.

  8. #8
    pnj
    pnj is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    384
    If your posture is the issue then there is a solution.


    Give bikram yoga a try.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    19
    Thanks again guys! McKenzie River was one of the best rides I ever did. Kinda wish I could do it again on a non-40 pound DH bike. haha That was funny (sort of) when the camera went into blue pool. I climbed all the way down there and back to realize her memory card had popped out on the tumble down.

    I am actually pretty happy with how things are these days. If I had never lost my ability to bike, who knows if I would have gotten into hiking and mountain climbing? I just recently did a trip down and up the entire West Coast, which I would have never done with a job and ability to bike in places like Moab. My post here was to let you guys know I was still alive and to give thanks to all the great times we had.
    Last edited by Johan_Eickmeyer; 05-07-2012 at 01:33 PM.

  10. #10
    Last word is all yours...
    Reputation: r1de's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,049
    Hey Johan,

    It was good riding and building with you at Duthie. I was actually just recently wondering what you were up to lately. Sorry to hear that you're having to take a temporary(!) rest from the bike, but sounds like you have the attitude and aptitude to make a classy show of a shoddy situation. Take care man.
    --
    -bp

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by r1de View Post
    Hey Johan,

    It was good riding and building with you at Duthie. I was actually just recently wondering what you were up to lately. Sorry to hear that you're having to take a temporary(!) rest from the bike, but sounds like you have the attitude and aptitude to make a classy show of a shoddy situation. Take care man.
    Back at you, bro!

    May you have many years of fun biking and non-exploding frames.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sgsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    443
    Sorry to hear that dude! Least you can still do some sports!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sgsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    443
    btw, Johan, check your messages. I sent you a PM. Both on this acct, and what I believe was your old one? Been great riding/ building w/ you over the years, both @ duthie and colonnade.

    hope to see ya out there sometime! Maybe stevens pass this summer. If ya have any good gravity stuff for sale, let me know. Are you on the island now, as the site suggests? If so, that's pretty local for me.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    19
    PM sent. We can meet up locally if you want to check out my highline. Its in near perfect condition. You living in kitsap these days?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    19
    No more riding? I know the feeling.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sgsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    443
    yep. Roomates in Seattle skipped on the rent, and my parent's house was not being used, as they were overseas, so I had a free place in poulsbo for a few months. Don't miss the commute to Seattle though. I am at silverdale cyclery now, and loving it.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,730
    Quote Originally Posted by Johan_Eickmeyer View Post
    . My post here was to let you guys know I was still alive and to give thanks to all the great times we had.
    Life is good, and life goes on. Hey man if you ever get the gumption to hop on a ride or two that i'll be at, always know you can borrow one of my extras.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

  18. #18
    widebody
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    195
    Flow Han, man I swear I was just thinking about where the heck you have been. I owe you a BIG thanks for being so chill with me an my son Adam on those early Duthie build days. You and Josh (and of course Westra) somehow got me hooked on trail building. I don't do much these day's except lay a few rocks on Braveheart. I'm pretty sure you'll be back on the bike trails. You gotta give the 29er wagon wheels a try at your height

    Take it easy dude,

    John

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    57
    Johan:

    You probably don't remember me, but I dated a friend of yours waaaay back in the day. You came up and rode Galbraith often. At the time, I had never mountain biked before and was intrigued. I told you that I was moving to Olympia, where you had recently went to school, and your advice to me was to buy a mountain bike and ride Capitol Forest. I did. Nine years (!!!) later, Capitol Forest is my second home; I ride, race and do trail work regularly; even those who barely know me know that I am obsessed with mountain biking. When people ask how I started mountain biking, the story always starts with you telling me to get a bike and ride Capitol Forest. Just thought I'd share that with you. Sad to hear that you can't ride anymore: I don't know what I would do if I couldn't ride. I hope that your riding days are not over permanently and that you find something equally as rewarding in the meantime.

    -Erin

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Skookum View Post
    Life is good, and life goes on. Hey man if you ever get the gumption to hop on a ride or two that i'll be at, always know you can borrow one of my extras.
    Thanks Man. Shame I never got to ride your finished track. I've really missed out.
    It was fun riding and working with you.


    Quote Originally Posted by ssumo View Post
    Flow Han, man I swear I was just thinking about where the heck you have been. I owe you a BIG thanks for being so chill with me an my son Adam on those early Duthie build days. You and Josh (and of course Westra) somehow got me hooked on trail building. I don't do much these day's except lay a few rocks on Braveheart. I'm pretty sure you'll be back on the bike trails. You gotta give the 29er wagon wheels a try at your height

    Take it easy dude,

    John
    dude, you're the only person I've ever met who can wake up at 5am go trail building. A really long 29er might help. I am building up one of my bikes to sell to a buddy over here. I rode it 200 feet and that's all I could take. Strange considering I can hike 8 miles with 70lb backpack no problem. ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Tenacious E View Post
    Johan:

    You probably don't remember me, but I dated a friend of yours waaaay back in the day. You came up and rode Galbraith often. At the time, I had never mountain biked before and was intrigued. I told you that I was moving to Olympia, where you had recently went to school, and your advice to me was to buy a mountain bike and ride Capitol Forest. I did. Nine years (!!!) later, Capitol Forest is my second home; I ride, race and do trail work regularly; even those who barely know me know that I am obsessed with mountain biking. When people ask how I started mountain biking, the story always starts with you telling me to get a bike and ride Capitol Forest. Just thought I'd share that with you. Sad to hear that you can't ride anymore: I don't know what I would do if I couldn't ride. I hope that your riding days are not over permanently and that you find something equally as rewarding in the meantime.

    -Erin
    Erin, capitol forest is a great place to ride especially if you have an AK-47 for a quick stop at the gun pits. you guys have some sweet new trails down there, I wish I could check them out some day. I do remember the view of Mt rainier is nice up there. I'll have to go back for at least a good sunrise photo.

    Do you ever run into or ride with Josh K. Down there? He used to be our king of trail building at duthie.
    Last edited by Johan_Eickmeyer; 05-09-2012 at 10:43 AM.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    19
    By the way, Capitol is where I was introduced to MTB as a downhill sport. If it wasn't for a buddy forcing us to try it on $40 walmart bikes, I might have never tried it. That guy was soon sick if us wanting to ride every single day.

    Theres something special about that place. Well, maybe not the uber slime on the north rim DH mid winter.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    19
    Erin, I now remember telling you to take up biking when you asked how the forest was down there.

    Cool, never thought I would hear from you again.
    Last edited by Johan_Eickmeyer; 05-09-2012 at 10:42 AM.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by mwestra2 View Post
    Damn sorry to hear about that, Flowhan! Hope you heal faster and are riding sooner than you think.

    **edit: totally messed up my user count #s. Corrected below...**

    Huge thanks for all your hard work shaping one of the most ridden 1/3-mile stretches of dirt on the planet... the Bootcamp DH. The first Duthie user count estimate was 100K visits per year. The latest estimate puts it much higher that. With all the riders lapping, learning and training on the Bootcamp DH, I wouldn't be surprised if it got 1/2 Million hits per year.

    No wonder BC Dh needed so much beefier berms. That original line I shaped from top to bottom got hacked to bits pretty quick. Thanks a lot to all the guys who have made that whole run more durable.
    Last edited by Johan_Eickmeyer; 05-09-2012 at 10:39 AM.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sgsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    443
    Johan, We will have to do some backpacking this summer dude.

    I can't hike w/ a 70 lb pack to save my life! but I will try for sure! Note to self- Don't pack in a dutch oven, those things are heavy!

    Been meaning to get back into the olympics for a few years and hike up to the hot springs, camp for a few days, and head back. There are a lot of good day trips and weekend trips out there as well.

    Ain't it crazy how small the outdoor community really is in the NW? I need to get back out to cap forest, probably been 6 years since I have been out that way for mtb.

    Erin, good to hear you guys have some new stuff going on there, courtland has kept me in the loop a little bit. I need to get down there sometime and ride for sure, especially for the views of rainier. Mega-props to FOCF for all the work you guys do down there!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ttrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by sgsrider View Post
    Johan, We will have to do some backpacking this summer dude.

    I can't hike w/ a 70 lb pack to save my life! but I will try for sure! Note to self- Don't pack in a dutch oven, those things are heavy!

    Been meaning to get back into the olympics for a few years and hike up to the hot springs, camp for a few days, and head back. There are a lot of good day trips and weekend trips out there as well.

    Ain't it crazy how small the outdoor community really is in the NW? I need to get back out to cap forest, probably been 6 years since I have been out that way for mtb.

    Erin, good to hear you guys have some new stuff going on there, courtland has kept me in the loop a little bit. I need to get down there sometime and ride for sure, especially for the views of rainier. Mega-props to FOCF for all the work you guys do down there!



    Johan;
    Never Met you and never have been to Duthie... But as a fellow trail worker, I have all the respect and cannot thank you enough for all of your hard work. Hopefully you will someday be back on the trails again! BTW Your photography is fantastic! Keep up the good work!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •