mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Evergreen Trail guide - map not working...?

Hi,
    I'm trying to explore the trails in the area. Might be relocating and would want to live near good trails.
    But the map on the Evergreen site isn't really working. I can't click on the little arrows to learn which trail is which... Nothing happens when I click (and have tried on multiple browsers, etc.)

Shouldn't there be a little menu that opens on each arrow that tells me the name of the trail?

Slothful dirt hippie
    I emailed Maarten a couple weeks ago w/ this observation. The trail entries are still there and you can get to them a couple other ways, but you can't click the pin from the map any more. Sounds like it's a now unsupported Google API thing that he's going to have a real wrestling match with.... we're all probably gonna owe him some beer when he's done.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

EMBA Member
    I reported this a couple weeks ago also. It isn't remotely as convenient, but on the left side of the trailmaps page, click on the "all trail pages" link, then you'll see all the possible choices, and open the detail pages from there. Problem is, it doesn't have any guidance from the "all trail pages" page as to where in the state a given trail is, so it'll be a lot of hunting and pecking. If you are interested in a specific area or type of riding, I or others could give some help either via this thread or PM me.

EMBA Member
    Just noticed the "trails by category" page groups by region, so that'll make it easier for you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Cool, thanks. I'll try the trails by region group.

Last word is all yours...
    FWIW, Evergreen is aware of some decay in the Trail Wiki - functional, technical and content - and a group of us, including Maarten and myself, are planning some big updates. I'll provide some more information in the coming days and weeks about what's going on with it.

In the mean-time for this particular issue, the suggestion above about using the categories link is a good one; we've put a good deal of time into trying to get at least the most popular areas tagged with category keys.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Is it me or are the map-marker balloons suddenly kinda working again?

Yeah, sorry, I haven't spent the time I need to to fix things up. Like verslowrdr said, the problem stems from Google revving their Maps APIs and which broke an extension. The extension's no longer supported, so I can't just upgrade it, and I had made code changes to it so I can trivially grab another one. I need to move up to the latest version of everything and see if I can get a different map extension to do what we need it to do. Working on it...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    *bump*

Are the map markers on the main page mostly-working again for other people, too? (Aside from the fact that some of the names are but off in too-small balloons?)

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Working for me.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Working. THANK YOU!
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Working here. Thank you!!