Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I5Troll

Evergreen Burglary at Duthie

Hey everybody, Thanks for your awesome support! 5 objectives to this post:
    1. Give you an update (I’m getting asked the same dozens of questions by dozens of awesome volunteers and concerned bikers ).
    2. Ask for your help as volunteer detectives – Help us call/look/surf around for the stolen stuff.
    3. Ask for your help to replace some of it.
    4. Ask for your help with trail work so we can git Duthie, Tiger and other projects completed.
    5. Let you know what we’re going to do to reduce the risk of this happening again.

1) Update

The robbery took place sometime between 7pm on Nov 29 (that’s when the last volunteer left the park) and 10am on Nov 30 (that’s when Kevin showed up onsite).

The replacement value of everything stolen is close to $15K. Everything from chainsaws, leaf blower, power tools, grip hoist and rigging equipment, down to chaps, hammers, bits and packaged work gloves. My hard-tail bike, personal power tools and Shimano Saint Dakine builder’s pack were taken. Jerry Heuman’s complete 18V DeWalt power tool set was taken (which he kinda sorta donated to the club). No shovels, McLeods, Pulaskis were taken, so we can still mush on with work parties! WooHoo!

The thieves most probably were the ones who stole our realtor’s key storage lock box 3-4 weeks ago. They used that key to get through the gate quickly. Once in the clearing, they had all the time in the world. They drilled out all of the padlock key-holes and used a special tool to break open the padlocks. None of the steel job boxes or trailer were damaged. They took the gate padlock and realtor lock box with them, but left all the broken locks behind.

We don’t have any insurance. We investigated that several times, but the price was ridiculously expensive compared to the value of the tools. The insured goods value to policy ratio was 10-20X that of a homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policy. We’re not covered by King County… they are self-insured. But King County is going to help us out financially. We won’t know the bottom line for a while. Much of the equipment has been collected over the years from various projects and funding sources.

The sheriff’s deputy investigated, dusted for prints and gathered evidence yesterday morning. Evidence left on-site: a bolt cutters, strange screwdriver and a brand new (tag still on) youth archery target. We’ve started to look into what possible link this could have to the former tenants of the park: the Cedar River Bowmen.

2) We need volunteers for detective help

Specific items to look for: Stihl MS361 chainsaw S/N 278259296, Stihl MS362 chainsaw S/N 283554201, Stihl MS250 chainsaw S/N 286670652, Echo MS-440 chainsaw, Stihl Backpack leaf blower, Tractel GripHoist Tu-17 S/N 01226 ($1,750 list price), large 8-ton to 2-ton pulley blocks, Shimano Saint special edition Dakine Builder’s backpack, Sette black hardtail with Avid Juice brakes, Shimano Saint crankset, all black Manitou Nixon fork (no stickers), Sun Rhyno Lite wheels, Specialized DH tires (very strange build I know – it’s called leftovers + internet special). I’ll follow up with some pics.

Look around / ask around any pawn shops in your neighborhood. A few I’ve heard that we need to check out: SuperPawn, 225 Sunset Boulevard N, Renton, (425)917-8117. Ben's Loan Inc, 1005 South 2nd Street, Renton, (425) 255-3638. Both just off of 405. Stop by and snoop around if you live/work near Renton.

Stop by a local construction equipment auction in your neighborhood and snoop around. They are almost weekly in Kent, Kenmore, all over the place.

And last but not least, snoop around the internet. Craigslist, pinkbike, auction sites, Ebay, etc.

Anybody know anybody suspicious who rides Duthie? Heard anything suspicious? The sheriff says it’s most probably a gang or meth-heads.

3) We need help replacing tools

Just to be functional at Duthie and Tiger, we need to quickly acquire ~$4K worth of tools. Then probably another $4K-$6K to get close to our pre-heist productivity level.

If you have access to a leaf-blower, please stop by Duthie and let’s finish the fall clean-up. The entire clearing and perimeter trail needs to be blown… all of the debris can be blown into the woods or tossed into 1 of the “green” spaces behind the orange fencing. All of the east-side FR trails (GHY, Youtz, Gravy Train, Big Tree, Ryan’s Line) need to be blown. Any time would be a great help!

If you have an old chainsaw or power tool you’re not using, we’ll gladly take it off your hands and provide a 501c3 donation letter that is tax deductible. Do you have your eye on a new chainsaw or drill for Christmas? Do it, man! Send your old ones to Evergreen. Of course, please make sure it works. You’d be surprised by how much stuff gets “donated” that we have to then spend time & money on to take it to the dump.

Do you know anybody in the tool biz? Ask them if they can they hook us up with a discount on tools. Or donate a tool if we buy a bunch… it’s tax deductible.

Highest priority tools needs: chainsaw and accessories, portable drill, typical workshop tools (wrenches, screw drivers, knives, pliers, socket set, etc), tool bags, tool boxes, grip hoist and rigging equipment.

Buy an engraved tile!

Make a donation to Duthie.

One of theeeee most valuable contributions you can make: Sign up as an Evergreen member… for as little as $30/year. If you're not a member, that is the very first thing you should do!

Renew your membership at a greater level.

4) Volunteer! Sign up for a work party!

Now we need your sweat more than anything!! If you don’t want to do trailwork, there are other ways you can volunteer… shoot me an email: mwestra@evergreenmtb.org.

Lead builders: round up your teams and keep the momentum going on your trails. We still have all the pulaskis, mcleods and shovels we need.

5) Moving Forward

Insurance probably still won’t make sense. Better locks probably means they would have just destroyed the trailer and the job boxes to get inside, so don’t make sense. We don’t have permission for a cargo container (that was the very first thing we asked for).

What can we do…?
    • Haul the expensive stuff in & out of Duthie every day. It’s a huge productivity hit and we’d increase the risk of our cars getting broken into, but overall the risk is lower, and it sure lowers the risk of getting cleaned out again.
    • Spread the hand tools out in lock boxes across the park. Lowers the risk of getting cleaned out again.
    • Definitely have to look into how we can beef up the lock on the main gate. Don’t know how… any ideas?
    • Motion triggered cameras?
    • Stop using the realtor key storage lock box idea. We may never have been hit if we hadn’t started using that.

Huge thanks again for everything you do for mountain biking in Washington State!!

Dig on!!!! Ride on!!!!

Cheers,
    Mike

Pics:

ride your bike
    Mike I have a used-one-time Dewalt reciprocating saw with blades I've been meaning to sell on Craigslist. If Evergreen can use it it's yours.

Would it work for you if I just gave it to Chad next time I see him?

--Bill Evans
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

I5Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by jubilee View Post
    Mike I have a used-one-time Dewalt reciprocating saw with blades I've been meaning to sell on Craigslist. If Evergreen can use it it's yours.
    Would it work for you if I just gave it to Chad next time I see him?
    --Bill Evans
    Absolutely most def !!!! Thanks Bill!

3 recip saws were taken... club's portable Rigid, Jerry's portable DeWalt and my powered Rigid as well as many wrecking blades (donated by Jerry).

NW MTBER
    Which model Stihl blower? I have had 2 stolen and keep an eye out for them already. If it were me I would look into a covered locking trailer and haul all tools out nightly. I own a landscape business and that is what I had to do after 2 break ins.
    Ibis Mojo HDR 650b
    Ibis Mojo SL
    Maverick Durance

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Can we earmark $$$ donated to Evergreen?

I'll make a donation today, but want part of it to be for specific purchase, can we do this? I'd like a portion of my donation to go to general fund for the loss, but the remainder of it towards a fund for replacement of Westra's hardtail. Can we do that, and will the Alliance support a special designation for that?

I'd like to funnel $$$ thru the Alliance is that it is tax deductible, and employer matching will double any donation, so a special fund via the Alliance will go further than outside taxable donations.

If we can't get a special fund for the hardtail via Evergreen, it would be cool if we could set up such outside of the club.

I5Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by stempson@mac.com View Post
    Which model Stihl blower? I have had 2 stolen and keep an eye out for them already. If it were me I would look into a covered locking trailer and haul all tools out nightly. I own a landscape business and that is what I had to do after 2 break ins.
    Thanks! Stihl BR550. We're going to have to haul the expensive stuff in & out every day in our cars. Unfortunately impossible for us to haul the trailer in&out every day... lotsa reasons.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Sent link to this thread to someone I know at the WTA office.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Ill renew tomorrow with a small donation to the Duthie replacement fund! Wish it could be more!

I5Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by kenobonn View Post
    I'll make a donation today, but want part of it to be for specific purchase, can we do this? I'd like a portion of my donation to go to general fund for the loss, but the remainder of it towards a fund for replacement of Westra's hardtail. Can we do that, and will the Alliance support a special designation for that?

I'd like to funnel $$$ thru the Alliance is that it is tax deductible, and employer matching will double any donation, so a special fund via the Alliance will go further than outside taxable donations.

If we can't get a special fund for the hardtail via Evergreen, it would be cool if we could set up such outside of the club.
    Awesome! Thanks Ken! You can specify where you'd like your donation to go in the comments field Donate. You could just say "Duthie Heist". The transactions are committed to projects/accounts manually.

But absolutely no need to worry about my hardtail. I left it there mostly as a guinnea pig bike (when we need to try out new features) or a loaner for volunteers who want to take a spin after a work party. My spine is probably too old and messed up to ever get a hardtail again . Besides, the waaay totally awesome folks in the bikey industry have already made me some very generous offers on a new bike.

I5Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco Monkeyboy View Post
    Ill renew tomorrow with a small donation to the Duthie replacement fund! Wish it could be more!
    Schoooweeeeeet! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Scum. Renewed

mtbr member
    Bummed...

mtbr member
    Unreal. We've had our share of bandito attacks out here, but this takes the cake.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'll renew today (a little early) and throw in a little extra.

P.S. The link on the Evergreen MTB home page to this forum is broken; it's missing the 'l' in "html".

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    This is the worst I have heard of. We lost a few tools out at Henry's but they were relatively inexpensive hand tools. Possible solutions: Stronger box, better locks, multiple game cameras, do not leave expensive items, dispersed hidden tool caches. Not really new ideas I admit but they might help.

troubled economist
    Hmmm.... Sorry to hear you guys got hit, too. The coincidence is interesting to say the least...

NWTA ST240 Singletrack trailbuilding machine STOLEN
    dig...

ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by mwestra2 View Post
    Absolutely most def !!!! Thanks Bill!

3 recip saws were taken... club's portable Rigid, Jerry's portable DeWalt and my powered Rigid as well as many wrecking blades (donated by Jerry).

Okay, I'll shoot Chad a message. I still can't believe this much stuff was nicked.
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Wish we could order Duthie tiles that read "Thieves Suck!"

Donation made.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Buy a tile to build Duthie

link above to buy a tile at Duthie

Give 'er, eh?!
    Aug 2006

Live in Renton - can check the pawn shops

I'm a renton local, so will swing by the pawn shops and see if anything shows up. I'm assuming if I find any of them, I should just call the cops right away.

Machine Trail Builder
    Quote Originally Posted by toowacky View Post
    Hmmm.... Sorry to hear you guys got hit, too. The coincidence is interesting to say the least...

NWTA ST240 Singletrack trailbuilding machine STOLEN
    Its a conspiracy... Both cases are awful and I feel for the crew leads and volunteers that put in the time and money to attain those tools and equipment. I'm sure in reality these are probably isolated incidents devised by crack heads, but I couldn't help but think that maybe some a$$hole trail contractor got an overseas contract and wanted to enlarge his profit margins. Is there a way to check suspicious outgoing shipping containers? I know that when we've shipped equipment in containers there is not much oversight as to what goes in them. I don't know where you would start to look into that, but it definitely seems like someone knew what they were after. Both clubs seem to have incredible support so I know your people will rally and eventually recover... but it sure blows.

I5Troll
    More and more thanks for all of your awesome support. Drill, recip saw, portable drill/circ saw set headed our way. We also have several volunteers contacting retailers and manufacturers for tool discounts. So schweeeet!

And...

Quote Originally Posted by kenobonn View Post
    Are donations in the form of purchasing tiles considered tax-deductible?
    Short answer: yes! they are considered a donation.

Long official answer: donations to Duthie which are recognized with Duthie tiles are generally tax deductible. Although there is a cost for the tile (albeit small) there is no tangible, marketable value of goods and service to you. In cases where there is a tangible benefit to you, for example fundraising dinners, you have to subtract the value of the goods received from the donation amount and only the difference is deductible. That doesn’t apply to the tile and your entire donation is deductible. Deductability for any donation for purposes of your personal taxes can be dependent on individual circumstances so you may want to consult with a tax adviser.

I5Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by kbfalken View Post
    I'm a renton local, so will swing by the pawn shops and see if anything shows up. I'm assuming if I find any of them, I should just call the cops right away.
    Yep. Case # is 11-266436 with the King County Sheriff's dept.

mtbr member
    Also renewed and donated. Damn them, I hope Karma kicks them good.
    Free Riding...Nothing Free About It...

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    Oh, hey before I forget. I have an 18V DeWalt driver / drill with battery charger Evergreen's welcome to have.

The batteries don't work (although I kept them.)

Don't know why it took me this long to think of it, I've been figuring out what to do with it for years. :-)

I'd pop for new batteries if the drill's useful.

Oh, and my chainsaw is yours for a while if you can use a smaller one.

Rolland

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast