Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Idea! Epic Adventure must rides!!

Looking for some ideas on some adventure riding for this summer.

30+ miles
    big climbs, yep, i'm game
    All day on the bike
    minimal road riding
    hard/ tech climbs
    you got your light cuz you could get lost, Bring it!
    I hear there's no cell service, so what, I dont need to strava.
    But a good decent hear or there would be nice.

I'm looking for ideas on stuff like that for this summer.

Overnights are up my alley too.
    I can pack light and suffer a night or two on the trail for an epic adventure!
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

I should be out riding

Re: Epic Adventure must rides!!

I suggest search function and evergreen trail wiki.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    If it's not powered solely by you, it's a motorcycle.

Worshiping at the Church of Singletrack since 1993.

Last word is all yours...
    Hey Ty,

Here are a few day trips that fit some of what you're looking for:

Middle Fork to DMG: cell-free wilderness adventure with camp option for sure.
    Ape/Smith loop: cell-free, long ass day for a day trip, ripping descent if done CCW, but a little busy on Ape.
    Kachess: cell-free, camp option, wilderness.
    Big 410 loops - white river+corral pass+ridge+palisades+skookum, mix in Suntop or Ranger OAB for extra punishment. Not super remote, but physical, ripping descent, wildflowers & Rainier views, no cell.

There are also some big adventure rides in the Sage/Horse Lake Mountain and Teanaway environs.

I'd join you on any of these. Will do most this season anyway.

Cheers!
    --
    -bp

Moist and Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by r1de View Post
    Hey Ty,

Here are a few day trips that fit some of what you're looking for:

Middle Fork to DMG: cell-free wilderness adventure with camp option for sure.
    Ape/Smith loop: cell-free, long ass day for a day trip, ripping descent if done CCW, but a little busy on Ape.
    Kachess: cell-free, camp option, wilderness.
    Big 410 loops - white river+corral pass+ridge+palisades+skookum, mix in Suntop or Ranger OAB for extra punishment. Not super remote, but physical, ripping descent, wildflowers & Rainier views, no cell.

There are also some big adventure rides in the Sage/Horse Lake Mountain and Teanaway environs.

I'd join you on any of these. Will do most this season anyway.

Cheers!
    It sounds closer in, but I'd second the 410 loops. I've ridden them many times, and I've bumped into many campsites over the years, near Corral Pass. Gorgeous views and you can multi lap the area for different flavors (Skookum Flats is a personal favorite of mine). Head up to Crystal one day for a great loop trail and views.

Trail:Noble Knob - Evergreen Trail Guide
    Trail:Palisades - Evergreen Trail Guide
    Trail:Suntop - Evergreen Trail Guide
    Traileep Creek - Evergreen Trail Guide
    Trail:Ranger Creek - Evergreen Trail Guide
    Trail:Skookum Flats - Evergreen Trail Guide
    Trail:Crystal Mountain - Evergreen Trail Guide

I really love North Central Washington as well. Angel's Staircase is pretty much as rural as you're going to get in the state, and there is a lot of ancillary options in the area. When you're done, you can drop down into Okanogan valley and eat at one of the many burger joints, or wait until you get back to Wenatchee and hit Abby's pizza.

Trail:Angels Staircase - Evergreen Trail Guide
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

mtbr member
    Linked trails in the Devil's Gulch area if they are open this year after the fires.

Linked trails in the Lake Wenatechee area. Mad River to Mad Lake to Chikamin Tie to that other one. Chikamin is one of the best desents in WA especially early and late in the season (no dirt bikes). Also Nason ridge can be a long ride with a shuttle or you can find the RR on the guys that looped it on this forum...not recommended.

The same area has the Basalt Ridge and Basalt Peaks trails which are non-motorized. Also the Devils backbone area will challenge any rider.

Taneum area is pretty endless near Thorpe/Ellensburg.

Seven Summits in SE BC is epic.

mtbr member
    We do all the 410 trails every year, and are planning on attempting the Cascade Triple Crown. 3 summits, 55+ miles, 11k climbing in one day. I will send you info when we start planning!
    13 SJ Evo, 14 Aurum, 14 Fatboy, 15 P.3

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    sounds good Chris!

mtbr member
    If you want a good local epic, stitch together Soaring Eagle, Duthie and Grand Ridge and you could easily get 40 miles with 2500+ vertical. The Plateau Triple Crown.

I didn't do it
    Throw Kettle Crest in there for good measure.

mtbr member
    Nothing is more epic than the trails in the Dark Divide...Wright Meadow, Cussed Hollow, Craggy Peak, Quartz Creek and The Boundary Trail.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    I'm surprised that this ride does not get more attention. It's one of the most scenic rides I have ever done. Rough backcountry trails, big elevation gain, oh my god views, camping options. The ride described here is an out and back from the South Coldwater trailhead, but you can go all the way through to Norway Pass for more mileage.

It's been a few years since I did this ride. I'm going to try and get back this summer.

http://trails.evergreenmtb.org/wiki/...Mount_Margaret
    http://trails.evergreenmtb.org/w/ind...il:Norway_Pass

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
    If you want a good local epic, stitch together Soaring Eagle, Duthie and Grand Ridge and you could easily get 40 miles with 2500+ vertical. The Plateau Triple Crown.
    My epic ride from home is from issaquah heading south to tiger mt road, take the paraglider cut off road toward Tiger summit parking lot via Iverson, then ride out NWT trail to to Preston, ride up that , then up the summit trail, then down summit and Preston, to the powerline cut over road to Ragging river.

Then ride up and over summit ridge to the brewery for lunch, then to Tokul east, do some laps there, then you could ride west for some more miles if your in to that zone. after that is a little bit of a road ride to Duthie, spin some laps there, then ride Grand Ridge back to Issaquah! By pass the switchback trail for the best decent on GR then go down the old road grade.

It's about 60-70 miles and includes all the best singletrack on the eastside/ Snoqualmie valley. You can throw in Taylor MT and some other trails if your looking for more vert and miles. It could be 80-100 miles depending on what you link together.

I5Troll
    Attached are a couple of maps that should provide multiple ways to hook up some epics. Pot Peak and Devil's Backbone are awesome -- lotsa hike-a-bike though. Does anybody know of an all singletrack way to do a Devil's, Red Hill, Tronsen loop starting from the Sand Creek TH? The maps shows you'd have to take the 9712 road. That would be supremely epic, but way beyond my ability at this point. We shuttled Tronsen to Red Hill last year and it was superb.

What about Miller Peak? Haven't done that in a decade. Or 4th of July?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Epic Adventure must rides!!-mad-chiwawa-chelan-map.jpg  

Epic Adventure must rides!!-tronson-redhill-sandcreek-missioncreek.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mwestra2 View Post
    Attached are a couple of maps that should provide multiple ways to hook up some epics. Pot Peak and Devil's Backbone are awesome -- lotsa hike-a-bike though. Does anybody know of an all singletrack way to do a Devil's, Red Hill, Tronsen loop starting from the Sand Creek TH? The maps shows you'd have to take the 9712 road. That would be supremely epic, but way beyond my ability at this point. We shuttled Tronsen to Red Hill last year and it was superb.
    If you stick to Red Hill and Tronsen, you can stay on single track and even go to DG and back on the other Red Hill trail. That's only about a mile of lower DG though and an out-and-back on Tronsen. If you go to the top of DG/MR, I think you will need to use 9712 to get back west to single track trails but you can go on the Mt. Lillian trail (#1601) to avoid about two miles of 9712. Heading westbound from 9712 up the Mt. Lillian trail to Upper Naneum Meadow would be "difficult" I would say, having hiked it a couple of times. Going the other way, starting from the Upper Naneum Meadow end, it is probably doable even by me. But that would mean going all the way up Red Hill and Tronsen Ridge, i.e. a anti-clockwise loop, when I suspect that going up DG would be more manageable and going down Tronsen and Red Hill would be more fun?

According to my Green Trails map there is also a trail heading south off of 9712, #1373.1 that connects up with #1373 which will take you into Haney Meadows. #1373[.1] is part of the Old Ellensburg Trail. Once in Haney Meadows, you can ride mostly single track all the way to Tronsen Ridge except a mile of 9712 or equivalent 4x4 roads. That route would cut off about 3 miles of 9712. I've been hiking on part of that as well. None of it is particularly easy going back up to Haney/Naneum meadows, but probably easier than going up Mt. Lillian trail.

I would just put up with the seven miles or so of 9712 from the upper DG trailhead to the top of Tronsen Ridge though for that ride. Let me know when you want to do it. That area has been on my epic list for a while, but now with the fire damage in a lot of it, I am not sure about doing it in my lifetime.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    We do all the 410 trails every year, and are planning on attempting the Cascade Triple Crown. 3 summits, 55+ miles, 11k climbing in one day. I will send you info when we start planning!
    Like I said off list, I'd like to see what you guys come up with on your ride. We had closer to 45 miles and 13500 elevation gain I believe. But that was with some serious old school gear.

So many options or "epics" in WA. Many already noted. Cap Forest has that option as well as the others noted.
    But, my favorites are:
    Teanaway (of course)
    Taneum
    Kettle Crest
    Greenwater/410 trails
    Mad Lake/Chikamin
    Angel's Staircase loop
    Lightning Creek/Blue Buck (Starvation Mt)
    Dungeness River/Gold Creek -Mt Muller weekend.
    Etc, etc, etc...

The only thing that's guaranteed will be reminiscing about the good rides and all the ones that I won't get to again this year. Too many options, too few days off.

mtbr member
    Another fun option I found was from Naneum meadow over Table Mtn and down First Cr. mostly moto trails that nobody rides anymore. Tops out at 6000 FT.

Other epics I discovered last year:
    1. Goat Mtn just outside the NE edge of St Helen's NM. Climb with just enough hike a bike, ride in and out of the blast zone with killer St Helen's views, lakes, a monster 'Preston Death Ride' option, and a fun Palisades like downhill through some serious old growth.
    2. Stafford Cr, next to Miller Peak. Much Better. Tops out at wilderness across from Mt Stuart. A fun rocky descent. Thinking about tying it in to going up and over Iron Bear and Bear Creeks...truly epic.
    3. Juniper Ridge, south of Mt. Rainier. I'll have to let this escape my memory before doing it again. 3 long hike a bikes. Amazing 4 volcano views. One amazing, long down hill...send me a postcard.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Long Canyon : Canyoneering : SummitPost
    I'm going to go do this one this summer.

bikepacking.net > Oregon Three Rivers
    And this one, not going to link them all together by bike.
    but going to go ride all three river trails back to back. Might add one more epic OR trail too!

mtbr member
    The Idaho stuff looks amazing.

Oregon 3 rivers:
    MRT - will always be on my top 5 all time list for fun trail, falls, old growth, and the blue thing.
    The other two, meh, too many miles and not enough elevation.

mtbr member
    Subscribed! great info thanks everyone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Note that there is an unusually large amount of blowdown in the Lake Wenatchee area this year and the trails may be a bit delayed in opening up even if clear of snow. This will mostly affect areas below about 3500 feet of elevation (blowdown due to weird combination of weather factors). I'd advise checking out the trail reports before making the drive out there (unless you want to help clear the trails, hint, hint).

Trail conditions report
    Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest - Alerts & Notices

Link to pdf of the area map Mike posted (I'd recommend USGS topo maps for on-trail maps in this area):
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5313093.pdf

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Sir, Looking forward to this one! Please keep me informed as well.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Epic Adventure must rides!!

Quote Originally Posted by slop View Post
    The Idaho stuff looks amazing.

Oregon 3 rivers:
    MRT - will always be on my top 5 all time list for fun trail, falls, old growth, and the blue thing.
    The other two, meh, too many miles and not enough elevation.
    MrT is good but not even in my top ten for Oregon. I rank MFT and NUT higher. Both have more variety and more elevation change.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Nothing is more epic than the trails in the Dark Divide...Wright Meadow, Cussed Hollow, Craggy Peak, Quartz Creek and The Boundary Trail.
    Does anyone know the conditions of trails in this area, in particular Quartz Creek and Boundary Trail? I've mapped a 125 mile loop and would love some trail beta.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Is Nason Ridge from Smith Brook to Lake Wenatchee any good? Seems like it would be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The photos I've seen of the west part of Nason ridge look good, but it is usually not snow free until July. I'm planning on riding it sometime in early August this year starting from the snowy creek TH... and planning on a fair amount of hike a bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    MrT is good but not even in my top ten for Oregon. I rank MFT and NUT higher. Both have more variety and more elevation change.
    Never ridden Middle Fork, but agree on North Umpqua. "River Trail" is a misnomer for NUT. It really should be called North Umpqua Canyon Trail or Cliff Trail or Ledge Trail or something. Super primitive and narrow trail, nothing like the overused, overcrowded MRT. Elevation GAIN going down river on that trail is absurd. Never got to finish the whole trail in one day and keep wanting to go back there, camp in the middle and break it into two days to really enjoy the experience, but haven't had the chance yet...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The Issaquepic... Linking Tiger, Duthie, Tolt and others

Linking tiger -> duthie -> etc -> beer

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    These have been mentioned, but IMO the best big ones in WA are

Juniper Ridge (I don't remember any hike a bikes on this ride)
    Tumwater Mt/Goat Mt. Lollipop of Woe
    Angel's Staircase (4 swimming lakes)

A couple that haven't been mentioned yet -
    Pyramid Mt (probably best from the Lake Chelan side, very awesome mountain climb, but definitely some hiking)
    No Name Ridge Deathmarch (right here in Cle Elum. 2 swimming lakes)

If anyone's a hankering I could easily be talked into joining any of these rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonguy View Post
    Does anyone know the conditions of trails in this area, in particular Quartz Creek and Boundary Trail? I've mapped a 125 mile loop and would love some trail beta.
    As soon as the snow starts melting the moto groups do an excellent job of getting these trails cleared. Over the last couple years some areas have still had snow into late August. The Quartz Creek trail is the exception and not open to motos. The last time I was on the Quart Creek trail it was covered like pick-up sticks with 3-4 foot diamater trees. I did hear that the WTA has been up there clearing the trail, but don't know how far they have gotten. And FYI, the Quartz Creek trail is probably the steepest trail I have ever been on, but very scenic.

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    No Name Ridge Deathmarch (right here in Cle Elum. 2 swimming lakes)

If anyone's a hankering I could easily be talked into joining any of these rides.
    I will be in Cle Elum over the July 4th weekend, I'm curious about this trail. Any other details that you would like to share? Interested in riding it?

I think I rode with you at Helens Fest a couple years ago.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    [QUOTE=I will be in Cle Elum over the July 4th weekend, I'm curious about this trail. Any other details that you would like to share? Interested in riding it?

I think I rode with you at Helens Fest a couple years ago.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I will be on call that weekend and unable to proceed past local rides. However I don't think I would recommend this ride that early in the season, too much snow risk. If people are riding the top of Kachess ridge totally snow free then it might work. No Name Ridge is the trail that extends up and beyond Kachess ridge to Thorp Mt. and Thorp lake. It can be shuttled through Roslyn but this is a 30 minute drive each way. The deathmarch version is to shuttle 6 miles to Lake Kachess campground and go around the lake on old singletrack (trail is officially shutdown and mostly now overgrown) and then ride road to the top of No Name ridge to finish the ride. You can also just go up from Kachess ridge but that is a ton of pushing each direction, but it can still be a nice day and you can hit Thorp Mt and Thorp lake and finish the day coming down kachess. I"d definitely like to hit this later in the year as Thorp lake is a great swim.

Slothful dirt hippie
    ... It can be shuttled through Roslyn but this is a 30 minute drive each way...
    I'm going to try to talk husby into trying this shuttle run this year, undecided if we'll do it bikepacking and just spend the night at the lake or bomb it in one shot. A Jolly Mtn shuttle from the Salmon-la-Sac side to Teanaway is still on the list too.

Nearly endless back-country possibilities in the Teanaway/Taneum/Manastash/Naches areas of course. That Lookout/Peaches route deep in the Taneum I did a couple seasons ago is one I'd like to reprise.... not sure if it's even 20 miles but I was pretty spent by the time I got to the ~2000' decent at the end.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    The shuttle from lower Kachese to Cross Cr is probably more like an hour. I'm thinking about doing the No Name Ridge ride as what I call a 'spouse shuttle'. The wife and a friend can drop us off at Cross Cr, which is right below Thorpe Mtn. They can hike to the lookout while we ride the ridge. Either leave a car at the bottom or they come around and meet us. Much better than throwing the bike over huge blowdown on the closed Kachese Lk trail.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by slop View Post
    The shuttle from lower Kachese to Cross Cr is probably more like an hour. I'm thinking about doing the No Name Ridge ride as what I call a 'spouse shuttle'. The wife and a friend can drop us off at Cross Cr, which is right below Thorpe Mtn. They can hike to the lookout while we ride the ridge. Either leave a car at the bottom or they come around and meet us. Much better than throwing the bike over huge blowdown on the closed Kachese Lk trail.
    My plan was to have someone dump us off at Cooper Lake or Cooper pass, chug up the logging roads to the trailhead, and just run it down from there to the end. If it's a nice weekend day, talking someone local into driving to Cooper for a few beers isn't much of an arm twist.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    As soon as the snow starts melting the moto groups do an excellent job of getting these trails cleared. Over the last couple years some areas have still had snow into late August. The Quartz Creek trail is the exception and not open to motos. The last time I was on the Quart Creek trail it was covered like pick-up sticks with 3-4 foot diamater trees. I did hear that the WTA has been up there clearing the trail, but don't know how far they have gotten. And FYI, the Quartz Creek trail is probably the steepest trail I have ever been on, but very scenic.
    Thanks for the info! Looks like NF-90 bypasses Quartz Creek and joins up at Council Lake with the Boundary Trail. Probably a better option, anyhow, seeing that the elevation gain for the loop I am dreaming of is 25k ft.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    anyone got any dirty on epics outside of Seattle area, like OR or BC. Like a days drive to sweet Epic trails!!

mtbr member
    Doing 4 days in Moab in October. Does that count?

Bachelor/Bend has a ton of great Epic rides that should be open really soon. Still snow on some of the upper trails near the mountain.
    13 SJ Evo, 14 Aurum, 14 Fatboy, 15 P.3

mtbr member
    Unfortunately I will be on call that weekend and unable to proceed past local rides. However I don't think I would recommend this ride that early in the season, too much snow risk. If people are riding the top of Kachess ridge totally snow free then it might work. No Name Ridge is the trail that extends up and beyond Kachess ridge to Thorp Mt. and Thorp lake. It can be shuttled through Roslyn but this is a 30 minute drive each way. The deathmarch version is to shuttle 6 miles to Lake Kachess campground and go around the lake on old singletrack (trail is officially shutdown and mostly now overgrown) and then ride road to the top of No Name ridge to finish the ride. You can also just go up from Kachess ridge but that is a ton of pushing each direction, but it can still be a nice day and you can hit Thorp Mt and Thorp lake and finish the day coming down kachess. I"d definitely like to hit this later in the year as Thorp lake is a great swim.
    Thanks for the info. I need to look at a map as I'm not too familiar with the area.

Thanks for the info! Looks like NF-90 bypasses Quartz Creek and joins up at Council Lake with the Boundary Trail. Probably a better option, anyhow, seeing that the elevation gain for the loop I am dreaming of is 25k ft.
    I've been piecing together a big loop of sorts for several years that would include the Ape Canyon/Plains of Abraham trails/The Boundary trail then down to the Lewis River Trail either on the Craggy Peak/Wright Meadow combo or continuing on The Boundary trail a little farther to Quartz Creek to finish on Lewis River. I'm pretty sure the two ends can be connected on bike via old logging roads and double track, but I haven't put much energy into checking.

Plus the section of The Boundary trail east of the Craggy Peak trail intersection and onto Yellow Jacket Pass and beyond is one technical MF'er.

Now I need to get my butt motivated to spend this much time on a bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Doing 4 days in Moab in October. Does that count?

Only if i can go!

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbty View Post
    anyone got any dirty on epics outside of Seattle area, like OR or BC. Like a days drive to sweet Epic trails!!
    Squamish, Merritt, Kamloops, Revelstoke, Rossland, Nelson, Chilcotins, Vancouver Island, Sunshine Coast, Pemberton, Whistler.......tell me when you want me to stop!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I've been piecing together a big loop of sorts for several years that would include the Ape Canyon/Plains of Abraham trails/The Boundary trail then down to the Lewis River Trail either on the Craggy Peak/Wright Meadow combo or continuing on The Boundary trail a little farther to Quartz Creek to finish on Lewis River. I'm pretty sure the two ends can be connected on bike via old logging roads and double track, but I haven't put much energy into checking.

Plus the section of The Boundary trail east of the Craggy Peak trail intersection and onto Yellow Jacket Pass and beyond is one technical MF'er.

Now I need to get my butt motivated to spend this much time on a bike.
    That first section is only 2 miles long. A little HAB is nice on a long ride Is it HAB all the way to Council Lake?
    I don't know how to post gpx files here, but this is what my loop looks like in Basecamp. It's 103 miles, 20k ft. Probably a 2-nighter. It's Boundary trail along the northern section, then Independence Pass trail down to Abraham trail.
    Epic Adventure must rides!!-picture-480.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

epic RR boundary trail-food for thought

That first section is only 2 miles long. A little HAB is nice on a long ride Is it HAB all the way to Council Lake?
    I don't know how to post gpx files here, but this is what my loop looks like in Basecamp. It's 103 miles, 20k ft. Probably a 2-nighter. It's Boundary trail along the northern section, then Independence Pass trail down to Abraham trail.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 480.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	175.4 KB 
ID:	798057
    Here's some info on boundary trail-
    2 words of advise -PLANNING !
    This RR from 2006 by jim from cr. Enjoy...

If anyone tells you they’ve cleaned every hill and obstacle on the Boundary Trail between Adams and St. Helens, they’re full of it. This 50+-mile mountain biking trek is an epic on steroids.
    We started at Council Lake near Mount Adams on Tuesday morning and finished at Coldwater Lake north of Mount St. Helens on Wednesday afternoon. In between, we followed the Boundary Trail through the Dark Divide, one of the largest and wildest undeveloped areas in the West.
    The ride team and I were poster children for AARP. My partners included outdoor extremist Brian Mahon, 49; former U.S. Cycling Team member John Platt, 50; and my brother, Dave, 52.
    As Mahon described it, the plan was simple – “First, we’ll go up; then we’ll go down.”
    In a 1995 book titled 50 Choice Single-Tracks, author and rider Michael Orendurff described the Boundary Trail as “a CAT tour – Constant Anaerobic Threshold.”
    Orendurff rated the trails in his book as Easy, Intermediate, Advanced, or Absurd. He tabbed the Boundary Trail as “triple-plus” Absurd. “The surface is all the worst of everything you could imagine –,” Orendurff wrote, “sharp rocks, big boulders, scree fields, washouts, blowdown, unrideable up- and downhills, snow late into the summer . . . complete hysteria.”
    The stretch between Council Lake and Norway Pass features 11 climbs of 700 feet or more, all above 4000 feet. Some of the ascents are so steep and so rutted by motorcycle traffic that they are ridiculously unrideable.
    Orendurff failed to mention that there is virtually no water source during a brutal 10-mile stretch from Hat Rock to Badger Lake. We filtered water at Badger and staggered on to Elk Pass, where our support crew provided fuel and fluid. We gutted out the last 10 miles of the day from Elk Pass to Bear Meadows and then on to the trailhead at Norway.
    We calculated the first day at 35+ miles – please note that these felt like nautical miles – with 12,000-15,000 feet of climbing.
    The next morning, we worked our way through the Mount Margaret backcountry before descending near St. Helens Lake and pedaling up to the intersection with South Coldwater Trail 230A. It took 6.5 hours to cover the final 16 to 20 miles from Norway to the South Coldwater Trailhead.
    My therapist and I will be discussing the Boundary Trail for some time, although I suppose it wasn’t all bad. I got to see spectacular terrain, came away with incredible photos, and, even at 55, was able to survive the ride.
    I’m probably too whacked out to rationally estimate how much climbing we did during the entire ride, but I’d put the quad-popping, two-day total at close to 20,000 feet.
    If you decide this is something you really want to do, be prepared. Orendurff recommends allowing three days for the ride, as well as a support vehicle to meet you at Elk Pass and Norway Pass. There is no cell reception.
    “Excellent physical condition, flawless equipment and sound planning are mandatory.”
    A little luck wouldn’t hurt either.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Tip my hat to you, Sir - and thank you for the report! I am glad that a sound mind is not listed as mandatory. I think this is something I will try to do late this summer (Aug/Sept.) if I interpret the conditions correctly. Nice that you were able to shuttle it and ride to Coldwater lake.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post
    Squamish, Merritt, Kamloops, Revelstoke, Rossland, Nelson, Chilcotins, Vancouver Island, Sunshine Coast, Pemberton, Whistler.......tell me when you want me to stop!
    Was looking more for specific info on epics, didn't needed the obvious spots to ride pointed out.

I'm heading to okanagan next week, should be fun.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Been doing the June Bend thing for 13 years now and though the system is growing every year, it's sorta played out for me. Fun for sure and should be on everyone's mtb bucket list. LOTS of 30 mi options there Ty and you can do all of them from a Phil's base camp. Add a Round Mountain-Lookout loop outside Prineville and it's money for a week of 30s if you want. Early (June) or late (September) are best options. Plus, their
    Bend miles"!
    The Sun Valley/Ketchum then Stanley week will bring it as well. Amazing terrain and huge loops if you want 'em, Corral Creek up to Pioneer Cabin and down the back and back over Bear Creek is one I along with Muttonchops, will never forget. Epic is underrated for that one. Same for the Basin Creek ride outside Stanley. Still planning a LaGrande, OR area week in a month or so. Umatilla Rim trail looks right in this wheelhouse and not really well known.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The Pacific Northwest Trail!!
    Pacific Northwest Trail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    http://www.pnt.org/maps/map-pnt.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Plus, their
    Bend miles"!
    I lived in Bend for 2 year and a 30 mile ride there only takes 2-3 hours to ride.

One long ride we use to do from town, after a carbo load at Longboard Louies, was to Shevlin park to head up the trail to Tumalo Falls, then turn around to go up the skyliner tr to whoops back to Phils, back to town sometimes for pizza. Then back up Phils to stormking or something to get over to the deschutes river tr up to sunriver, then back the d river tr. After that it was time to grab a six pack and go bouldering tell dark, then we partied.

The from town to bachelor and back was a good ride to.

It's not uncommon in the spring to run, go skiing, go golf, go mtbing, climb then party all in one day, then wake up and do it again the next day. In the summer we would paddle some ww or float the river instead of ski.

If Bachelor was better skiing and had a bike park i would have never left Bend.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Ah, true Bendite. Doing the loop "backwards" and missing the awesomeness that is Mrazek going down... Up Phil's, Loop de loop upper Whoops to Skyliner "down", Tumalo to Farewell up... That's the way you do it...

Skiing is not that bad compared to here and it looks like they are getting that lift served bike park.... We were just talking about buying a one ride ticket and doing from the top of Bachee all the way into town maybe to 10 Barrel. There's a run for ya.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Oh when were being lazy in Bend we shuttle Mrazek a few times in a day. I've rode everything up there every which way, done long point to point, shuttled from hear to there (pre 2007 trails).

A true bendite doesnt get stuck doing the same old route, we get creative with our loops cuz there is a real trail system there!!

Whoops is just to fun not to ride down so that's why we did our loops that way.

Most the time we have no plan of what we are going to ride, we just start riding and take random turns to see if we could get our self's lost.

Skiing is way better in WA, our ski hills dont look the same, Cone skiing gets old.
    Plus we have cliffs and chutes in WA, bachee doesnt have one on the whole hill, just wind lips.

Cat Herder
    Do you have a route for that Table Mtn ride? I have the GT #2115 for the Mission Ridge area. Some of where you mention is at the SW corner of this map.
    Eat. Ride. Sleep. Repeat

Cat Herder
    I'm quite interested in this route, DRSpaulding. I have the GT map #2115 and I am looking at some of the route you suggest. I'd like to ride down Tronsen and up MR by dropping in on Blewett Pass. I'll create a new thread for it but I appreciate any additional info you may have.
    Eat. Ride. Sleep. Repeat

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Boundary Trail

Tip my hat to you, Sir - and thank you for the report! I am glad that a sound mind is not listed as mandatory. I think this is something I will try to do late this summer (Aug/Sept.) if I interpret the conditions correctly. Nice that you were able to shuttle it and ride to Coldwater lake.

Just to close the loop on this: I did a 2 day bikepacking loop last month. Some very nice sections, some not so. Full RR at
    Bikepacking near Mt. Saint Helens | 2wheeltrails

Thanks for everyone who gave me input and helped me plan this!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast