Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Idea! Epic Adventure must rides!!

Looking for some ideas on some adventure riding for this summer.

30+ miles
    big climbs, yep, i'm game
    All day on the bike
    minimal road riding
    hard/ tech climbs
    you got your light cuz you could get lost, Bring it!
    I hear there's no cell service, so what, I dont need to strava.
    But a good decent hear or there would be nice.

I'm looking for ideas on stuff like that for this summer.

Overnights are up my alley too.
    I can pack light and suffer a night or two on the trail for an epic adventure!
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004

Re: Epic Adventure must rides!!

I suggest search function and evergreen trail wiki.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last word is all yours...
    Hey Ty,

Here are a few day trips that fit some of what you're looking for:

Middle Fork to DMG: cell-free wilderness adventure with camp option for sure.
    Ape/Smith loop: cell-free, long ass day for a day trip, ripping descent if done CCW, but a little busy on Ape.
    Kachess: cell-free, camp option, wilderness.
    Big 410 loops - white river+corral pass+ridge+palisades+skookum, mix in Suntop or Ranger OAB for extra punishment. Not super remote, but physical, ripping descent, wildflowers & Rainier views, no cell.

There are also some big adventure rides in the Sage/Horse Lake Mountain and Teanaway environs.

I'd join you on any of these. Will do most this season anyway.

Cheers!
    --
    -bp

Moist and Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by r1de View Post
    Hey Ty,

Here are a few day trips that fit some of what you're looking for:

Middle Fork to DMG: cell-free wilderness adventure with camp option for sure.
    Ape/Smith loop: cell-free, long ass day for a day trip, ripping descent if done CCW, but a little busy on Ape.
    Kachess: cell-free, camp option, wilderness.
    Big 410 loops - white river+corral pass+ridge+palisades+skookum, mix in Suntop or Ranger OAB for extra punishment. Not super remote, but physical, ripping descent, wildflowers & Rainier views, no cell.

There are also some big adventure rides in the Sage/Horse Lake Mountain and Teanaway environs.

I'd join you on any of these. Will do most this season anyway.

Cheers!
    It sounds closer in, but I'd second the 410 loops. I've ridden them many times, and I've bumped into many campsites over the years, near Corral Pass. Gorgeous views and you can multi lap the area for different flavors (Skookum Flats is a personal favorite of mine). Head up to Crystal one day for a great loop trail and views.

Trail:Noble Knob - Evergreen Trail Guide
    Trail:Palisades - Evergreen Trail Guide
    Trail:Suntop - Evergreen Trail Guide
    Traileep Creek - Evergreen Trail Guide
    Trail:Ranger Creek - Evergreen Trail Guide
    Trail:Skookum Flats - Evergreen Trail Guide
    Trail:Crystal Mountain - Evergreen Trail Guide

I really love North Central Washington as well. Angel's Staircase is pretty much as rural as you're going to get in the state, and there is a lot of ancillary options in the area. When you're done, you can drop down into Okanogan valley and eat at one of the many burger joints, or wait until you get back to Wenatchee and hit Abby's pizza.

Trail:Angels Staircase - Evergreen Trail Guide
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

mtbr member
    Linked trails in the Devil's Gulch area if they are open this year after the fires.

Linked trails in the Lake Wenatechee area. Mad River to Mad Lake to Chikamin Tie to that other one. Chikamin is one of the best desents in WA especially early and late in the season (no dirt bikes). Also Nason ridge can be a long ride with a shuttle or you can find the RR on the guys that looped it on this forum...not recommended.

The same area has the Basalt Ridge and Basalt Peaks trails which are non-motorized. Also the Devils backbone area will challenge any rider.

Taneum area is pretty endless near Thorpe/Ellensburg.

Seven Summits in SE BC is epic.

mtbr member
    We do all the 410 trails every year, and are planning on attempting the Cascade Triple Crown. 3 summits, 55+ miles, 11k climbing in one day. I will send you info when we start planning!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    sounds good Chris!

mtbr member
    If you want a good local epic, stitch together Soaring Eagle, Duthie and Grand Ridge and you could easily get 40 miles with 2500+ vertical. The Plateau Triple Crown.

I didn't do it
    Throw Kettle Crest in there for good measure.

mtbr member
    Nothing is more epic than the trails in the Dark Divide...Wright Meadow, Cussed Hollow, Craggy Peak, Quartz Creek and The Boundary Trail.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    I'm surprised that this ride does not get more attention. It's one of the most scenic rides I have ever done. Rough backcountry trails, big elevation gain, oh my god views, camping options. The ride described here is an out and back from the South Coldwater trailhead, but you can go all the way through to Norway Pass for more mileage.

It's been a few years since I did this ride. I'm going to try and get back this summer.

http://trails.evergreenmtb.org/wiki/...Mount_Margaret
    http://trails.evergreenmtb.org/w/ind...il:Norway_Pass

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
    If you want a good local epic, stitch together Soaring Eagle, Duthie and Grand Ridge and you could easily get 40 miles with 2500+ vertical. The Plateau Triple Crown.
    My epic ride from home is from issaquah heading south to tiger mt road, take the paraglider cut off road toward Tiger summit parking lot via Iverson, then ride out NWT trail to to Preston, ride up that , then up the summit trail, then down summit and Preston, to the powerline cut over road to Ragging river.

Then ride up and over summit ridge to the brewery for lunch, then to Tokul east, do some laps there, then you could ride west for some more miles if your in to that zone. after that is a little bit of a road ride to Duthie, spin some laps there, then ride Grand Ridge back to Issaquah! By pass the switchback trail for the best decent on GR then go down the old road grade.

It's about 60-70 miles and includes all the best singletrack on the eastside/ Snoqualmie valley. You can throw in Taylor MT and some other trails if your looking for more vert and miles. It could be 80-100 miles depending on what you link together.

I5Troll
    Attached are a couple of maps that should provide multiple ways to hook up some epics. Pot Peak and Devil's Backbone are awesome -- lotsa hike-a-bike though. Does anybody know of an all singletrack way to do a Devil's, Red Hill, Tronsen loop starting from the Sand Creek TH? The maps shows you'd have to take the 9712 road. That would be supremely epic, but way beyond my ability at this point. We shuttled Tronsen to Red Hill last year and it was superb.

What about Miller Peak? Haven't done that in a decade. Or 4th of July?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Epic Adventure must rides!!-mad-chiwawa-chelan-map.jpg  

Epic Adventure must rides!!-tronson-redhill-sandcreek-missioncreek.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mwestra2 View Post
    Attached are a couple of maps that should provide multiple ways to hook up some epics. Pot Peak and Devil's Backbone are awesome -- lotsa hike-a-bike though. Does anybody know of an all singletrack way to do a Devil's, Red Hill, Tronsen loop starting from the Sand Creek TH? The maps shows you'd have to take the 9712 road. That would be supremely epic, but way beyond my ability at this point. We shuttled Tronsen to Red Hill last year and it was superb.
    If you stick to Red Hill and Tronsen, you can stay on single track and even go to DG and back on the other Red Hill trail. That's only about a mile of lower DG though and an out-and-back on Tronsen. If you go to the top of DG/MR, I think you will need to use 9712 to get back west to single track trails but you can go on the Mt. Lillian trail (#1601) to avoid about two miles of 9712. Heading westbound from 9712 up the Mt. Lillian trail to Upper Naneum Meadow would be "difficult" I would say, having hiked it a couple of times. Going the other way, starting from the Upper Naneum Meadow end, it is probably doable even by me. But that would mean going all the way up Red Hill and Tronsen Ridge, i.e. a anti-clockwise loop, when I suspect that going up DG would be more manageable and going down Tronsen and Red Hill would be more fun?

According to my Green Trails map there is also a trail heading south off of 9712, #1373.1 that connects up with #1373 which will take you into Haney Meadows. #1373[.1] is part of the Old Ellensburg Trail. Once in Haney Meadows, you can ride mostly single track all the way to Tronsen Ridge except a mile of 9712 or equivalent 4x4 roads. That route would cut off about 3 miles of 9712. I've been hiking on part of that as well. None of it is particularly easy going back up to Haney/Naneum meadows, but probably easier than going up Mt. Lillian trail.

I would just put up with the seven miles or so of 9712 from the upper DG trailhead to the top of Tronsen Ridge though for that ride. Let me know when you want to do it. That area has been on my epic list for a while, but now with the fire damage in a lot of it, I am not sure about doing it in my lifetime.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    We do all the 410 trails every year, and are planning on attempting the Cascade Triple Crown. 3 summits, 55+ miles, 11k climbing in one day. I will send you info when we start planning!
    Like I said off list, I'd like to see what you guys come up with on your ride. We had closer to 45 miles and 13500 elevation gain I believe. But that was with some serious old school gear.

So many options or "epics" in WA. Many already noted. Cap Forest has that option as well as the others noted.
    But, my favorites are:
    Teanaway (of course)
    Taneum
    Kettle Crest
    Greenwater/410 trails
    Mad Lake/Chikamin
    Angel's Staircase loop
    Lightning Creek/Blue Buck (Starvation Mt)
    Dungeness River/Gold Creek -Mt Muller weekend.
    Etc, etc, etc...

The only thing that's guaranteed will be reminiscing about the good rides and all the ones that I won't get to again this year. Too many options, too few days off.

mtbr member
    Another fun option I found was from Naneum meadow over Table Mtn and down First Cr. mostly moto trails that nobody rides anymore. Tops out at 6000 FT.

Other epics I discovered last year:
    1. Goat Mtn just outside the NE edge of St Helen's NM. Climb with just enough hike a bike, ride in and out of the blast zone with killer St Helen's views, lakes, a monster 'Preston Death Ride' option, and a fun Palisades like downhill through some serious old growth.
    2. Stafford Cr, next to Miller Peak. Much Better. Tops out at wilderness across from Mt Stuart. A fun rocky descent. Thinking about tying it in to going up and over Iron Bear and Bear Creeks...truly epic.
    3. Juniper Ridge, south of Mt. Rainier. I'll have to let this escape my memory before doing it again. 3 long hike a bikes. Amazing 4 volcano views. One amazing, long down hill...send me a postcard.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Long Canyon : Canyoneering : SummitPost
    I'm going to go do this one this summer.

bikepacking.net > Oregon Three Rivers
    And this one, not going to link them all together by bike.
    but going to go ride all three river trails back to back. Might add one more epic OR trail too!

mtbr member
    The Idaho stuff looks amazing.

Oregon 3 rivers:
    MRT - will always be on my top 5 all time list for fun trail, falls, old growth, and the blue thing.
    The other two, meh, too many miles and not enough elevation.

mtbr member
    Subscribed! great info thanks everyone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Note that there is an unusually large amount of blowdown in the Lake Wenatchee area this year and the trails may be a bit delayed in opening up even if clear of snow. This will mostly affect areas below about 3500 feet of elevation (blowdown due to weird combination of weather factors). I'd advise checking out the trail reports before making the drive out there (unless you want to help clear the trails, hint, hint).

Trail conditions report
    Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest - Alerts & Notices

Link to pdf of the area map Mike posted (I'd recommend USGS topo maps for on-trail maps in this area):
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5313093.pdf

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    Sir, Looking forward to this one! Please keep me informed as well.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Epic Adventure must rides!!

Quote Originally Posted by slop View Post
    The Idaho stuff looks amazing.

Oregon 3 rivers:
    MRT - will always be on my top 5 all time list for fun trail, falls, old growth, and the blue thing.
    The other two, meh, too many miles and not enough elevation.
    MrT is good but not even in my top ten for Oregon. I rank MFT and NUT higher. Both have more variety and more elevation change.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Nothing is more epic than the trails in the Dark Divide...Wright Meadow, Cussed Hollow, Craggy Peak, Quartz Creek and The Boundary Trail.
    Does anyone know the conditions of trails in this area, in particular Quartz Creek and Boundary Trail? I've mapped a 125 mile loop and would love some trail beta.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Is Nason Ridge from Smith Brook to Lake Wenatchee any good? Seems like it would be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The photos I've seen of the west part of Nason ridge look good, but it is usually not snow free until July. I'm planning on riding it sometime in early August this year starting from the snowy creek TH... and planning on a fair amount of hike a bike.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast