Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Enter the Octagon....

If you dare....

It's semi-official. The log maze at Colonnade is almost officially done. But, the Octagon of Death is complete and Skooks was there, 911 on speed dial, ready for the first lap I rode around that went just fine. Totally "doable".

Enjoy! (Sorry, no pics...) Yet...

Sorry, monster big bike long wheelbase bikes may have trouble. Bwahahahahahahaha!
    Watch that derailleur and go slooow.

mtbr member
    if this line is the one i am thinking of, i made it no prob on the v-10...but it prolly isn't what i am thinkin of, so who knows...post some pics son. then we know what you are talkin' about.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Edited, just 'cuz....
    Last edited by Borneo; 03-10-2008 at 09:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Borneo, post some pics Some of us don't get tired of colonnade shots
    Jimmy B

I should be out riding
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo
    Edited, just 'cuz....
    What, I thought you had a pair?

Too bad, that was the funniest post in ages.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    They'll need to come from elsewhere. I don't plan to be back down there for some time. There's too much else to do.

Yeah, thanks AC. Just not in the mood to swizzle.

Just roll it......
    Nice job on the Octagon Borneo! Me, Juice and Kennedy were having an easier go of it than Westra on his Stinky, but he got it after a few tries.

Super fun and a great skill builder for locals since you can ride it in either direction. I like the use of the "U" shaped log too.

See ya tomorrow in the woods.

Cheers,
    EB

I5Troll
    Yes, very nice job!! Difficult, plenty of room to grow skills for most riders, and low risk, so attemptable by anyone. Took me a while to make it all the way around. The long wheelbase Stinky was really just my excuse... Kennedy and EB were rear wheel kickin' their way around just fine. I am going back with the hardtail soon. I'll grab some pics.

The straight log line from the top is also very well done! Love that gnarly maple!

mtbr member
    mike, what's up w/ the no parking signs @ the top parking area?? i went to ride it today, and the entire street, including the other side of the road and the offramp parking, was blocked off w/ no parking signs.

mtbr member
    Need pictures, Please.....

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by sgsrider
    mike, what's up w/ the no parking signs @ the top parking area?? i went to ride it today, and the entire street, including the other side of the road and the offramp parking, was blocked off w/ no parking signs.
    Look at the dates on the signs. There for work going on between the 11th and 14th on the road.

EB

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hehehe. Mike should get some posted today. I'm not driving back into town for some pictures unless I really need to. Not at 4 bucks a gallon. The lack of pictures s/b incentive for everyone to get down there and see it for yourself.

Now the big question: easier clockwise or counterclock wise?

Mike, feel free to dump a big load of wood chips in the middle for some extra padding...

EB, I bailed on snowboarding today to get the wall ride at home started and will be out earlier than later.

I5Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Look at the dates on the signs. There for work going on between the 11th and 14th on the road.
    When that happens, there's usually plenty of parking further south on Lakeivew and behind that apartment building just south of the freeway exit.

Just roll it......
    EB, I bailed on snowboarding today to get the wall ride at home started and will be out earlier than later.
    Sounds good. I'll be in the area around 3'ish.

Just a head's up that one of the "off ramps" that head's back up the hill was not secured and rolled out of place. It wasn't the one that is on the far downhill side....I could ride that one all the way back up to the dirt. It was the one in the middle between that one and the primary downhill skinny.

As for CW or CCW, I rode it in both directions and CCW was harder for me, but that's because I have a harder time hopping my wheel to the left.

EB

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can get Mike to screw it in better. I only had some short screws when I was finishing it up and the long ones were locked up in the shed.

Hmmm, you shouldn't have to hop the back wheel to get around. I rode it both ways on the Covert with the fork extended with at least a full tire on al the time.

BTW: Sorry I missed out today. Family stuff. I'll be out about 1 tomorrow though for an extended session to make up for it.

Hairy man
    Checked that out this morning. Beautiful. I didn't attempt it because I couldn't face failure that early in the day (I did a couple loops on Skook's beginner area. ah, the feel of success.)

Stage 2 has come a long way in a pretty short time. I'm amazed at how nice everything is looking. It's almost ready for the movie crews to arrive.
    We all get it in the end.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Pics ASAP!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'll stop by after work.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

Just roll it......
    Hmmm, you shouldn't have to hop the back wheel to get around. I rode it both ways on the Covert with the fork extended with at least a full tire on al the time.
    Yeah, I was able to as well, but there was a couple of occasions where I ddn't get my front wheel outside enough that I had to hop (on one or two corners).

EB

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Leaving a message right now for Mike about the loose log.

Thanks Dave. People seem to like action shots.

Damn rain......

mtbr member
    May 2004
    OK kids here you go!
    " width="549">

" width="549">

" width="549">
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    This is the latest batch of free wood. Always looking for more, contact Mike for details
    " width="549">

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks Dave. I hope that will sate them.

The wood was actually two truck loads too and is a LOT of lumber!

(Thanks to my sister for that.)

Moist and Delicious
    Nice stuff, Bob. Gonna check it out tomorrow, hopefully.

I5Troll
    Thanks for the pics, Dave !

And Thanks a ton (or several tons, literally) for the rough-cut fir, Borneo !!!

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by mwestra2
    And Thanks a ton (or several tons, literally) for the rough-cut fir, Borneo !!!
    Yeah, I got a look at that wood the other day. Good stuff!

gmoney was gmoneybike
    Skinny is tight and a bit of a beyotch, but still within the range of us mere mortals. Very pleased to see such a cool feature at Collonade .
    Were looking at balz

Moist and Delicious
    I couldn't ride the whole damn thing. I totally suck. Still loved it, though. Great idea, and the skinnies heading in are nice and goofy/wild.

Nice job, Bob.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hehehehe. Thanks guys. It was tough to make it, "difficult, but not too hard". I think there will be a lot of people that will be humbled by it and a few more that won't even sack up to try it. But, it's totally ridable. Even at a pretty good clip. I just hope that people give 'er a go and keep trying until they nail it. That sort of practice is invaluable at the the shore and Galby.
    Riding down the upper line and doing a loop de loop out is fun.

Hint: I find that constant pedaling and dragging the back brake a little helps. If you ride right out to the outer edge with your front tire, the rear will track perfectly on the gusset. Maybe walk the bike around the first time to see how much room you have. It should be cake on smaller bikes.

Can't wait to make a much bigger version at Duthie.

mtbr member
    ohh, it was THAT line....looks awesome dude...i will definitely ride it soon, possibly this weekend, assuming i'm not @ fromme in bc...

mtbr member
    wait, there's goona be one @ duthie??? what about the hampster wheel? can we build one of those out there too???

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yep. Bigger and badder. I'm going to see if Mike and just get me pre-split logs from the mill.

Hampster wheel? Don't even get me started ...
    Not if I have any say. Stupidest one hit wonder if I ever saw one. Waste of time and effort. Did I say stupid? Oh, yeah, I did. Stupid.

I5Troll
    Re-grading that area for the octagon caused a weeee drainage issue. I had to dig a little drainage ditch and pile up some dirt and rock against the southeast corner on/off ramps. So it looks a little different now. We'll put in a permanent drainage solution after we finish the twisty berm trail. The water is coming from a freeway leak at the bottom of that trail.

Quote Originally Posted by sgsrider
    what about the hampster wheel?
    The idea just didn't pass with the city. Lotsa perceived issues with it... too big, too dangerous, maintenance issue. But I gotta say, I got feedback from like 40-50 people and the thumbs up beat the thumbs down 3 to 1.

Can't wait to make a much bigger version at Duthie.
    We defnitely want to keep Duthie as natural & woodsy as possible, so using more logs and milled log planks (vs. bridges with rungs) will be the way to go. Also, because it is out in the woods, Duthie is going to be more difficult to maintain and ladder bridges are relatively high maintenance. That's OK at Colonnade because it's so easy to get materials and tools in'n'out to fix stuff. Especially since I live just a few blocks away now

mtbr member
    dude, it was a joke...i just know eb and a few of the other guys on here wanted to build one, which is why i added the lol, i wasn't serious. they are dumb, and we would never be able to build one. chill borneo.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    What lol?

I am chill son...

mtbr member
    nice to know ur chill bob...it is bob, right? lol. btw, thx for the fit dude...hopefully that stuff will last awhile

mtbr member
    meant to type fir...lol. will be out there tomorrow if the weather is good. hey dave, is that brando from gregg's riding a steelhead in your pics? nice pics btw.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    At last,we made a trip to Colonnade park. Good stuff. You guys should be proud of what you have built. The octagon is very fun,it will be even better when it is done. I've got it nailed going counter clockwise,but can't even do it once clockwise.
    Thanks again for all of the hard work you have put in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks! It's a labor of love I tell ya. All of it. I'll be out Tuesday afternoon/evening (3/25)finishing the lower line and planting a bunch of ferns along the lower section that gets rain to all prettyfy it for teh dog park folks and could use some help for any amount of time possible. Just to wrap it up. Come on by if you can. Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Just got home and it's "done" for now. The lollipop end is in and totally ridable as well. Good to see Mr. Wolfe stop by and get bucked off the roller coaster log.Ooops, did I wet that log down???

Planted a bunch of ferns and the Clematis is really starting to bud out down there. Some mulch spread around and it will look real nice. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Cool stuff B, Hardly a time where someone isn't riding the logs. The round-a-bout is already a popular feature.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

I5Troll
    Thanks a ton, Borneo! Awesome stuff!

We're getting another bobcat soon, so I'll bring in the wood chips, spread 'em around and then wet the whole area down. That should keep the dust down for a while and, along with the new ferns, make everything look nice for the dog park visitors.

Thanks Ben and Tania for the awesome drainage work as well!!!

Atten: someone with a really good camera... next time you're at Colonnade, snap a few shots of the Log Maze and Octagon area and post 'em. We can use that area as an example of how we take an eroded weed & garbage infested chunk of dirt/muck and... fix the erosion/drainage problems, turn it into something fun, and also make it look a lot better in the end.
    Last edited by mwestra2; 03-26-2008 at 10:09 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I can do that when I get back from ST Louis.

mtbr member

Good job!

I love that skinny action! It took a lot of tries but I finally got three quarters around the "U". I head out tomorrow to CONQUER!! The rock garden is also very nice!
    "I wanna ride, ride, ride Capitol Forest..."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwestra2
    Thanks a ton, Borneo! Awesome stuff!

Atten: someone with a really good camera... next time you're at Colonnade, snap a few shots of the Log Maze and Octagon area and post 'em. We can use that area as an example of how we take an eroded weed & garbage infested chunk of dirt/muck and... fix the erosion/drainage problems, turn it into something fun, and also make it look a lot better in the end.
    Ray and I are definitely enjoying the multiplicity of structures here at Colonnade. We will be out this week after work maybe a couple times and Ray will take some pics of the Octagon. Is the Log Maze the various skinnies that come after the Octagon?

I like riding the top long skinny down to the Octagon. So far have not made it around the 2nd corner but I was on the DH bike. I am also alittle wary about hitting the derailleur or brake rotor as we've had some accidents in the past practicing these things.
    Free Riding...Nothing Free About It...

mtbr member

Problem Solved

Quote Originally Posted by FoxOverFence
    I am also alittle wary about hitting the derailleur or brake rotor as we've had some accidents in the past practicing these things.
    Here you go Linda
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nice! I'd like the beach to go with it, please...
    Free Riding...Nothing Free About It...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    My intent with it was to start at the top and ride down the line along the upper road, do a CCW loop and then out and around the lower line and then back into the Octagon clockwise and out. Riding back up the upper line is harder with the S log there. But, I'm sure someone will make it. Other than the S log, it's totally ridable going back up.

If there is some question as to being able to make it based on wheel length, I suggest walking the bike around first to assess how much room you have. I watched some guy once on a small P3 hopping the rear wheel around when they had tons of room to just ride it.

But, mastering the entire thing in the route I mentioned above should be your goal...

It's not as hard as it looks and will pay off when encountering similar features out in the woods.

Just roll it......
    My intent with it was to start at the top and ride down the line along the upper road, do a CCW loop and then out and around the lower line and then back into the Octagon clockwise and out. Riding back up the upper line is harder with the S log there. But, I'm sure someone will make it. Other than the S log, it's totally ridable going back up.
    Went out with Juice, CBX and G-Froh for a couple hours of post-hangover dorking around yesterday. It wasn't pretty for me on the skinny at first, but got it after a bit of clearing the cobwebs. Really like the uphill lollipop line a lot.......fun to make that part of the route!

There were also a few groms out there killing it yesterday....one of them (couldn't have been older than 10) got all the way down that U log. Super cool.

EB

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Awesome. The kids on the 24" have the advantage with the short wheelbase on the Octagon though.
    I think the teardrop lower came out great too. Hope more use it.

I keep eyeing another downhill skinny like that but it's always wet and I'm alone. (No one to hear my screams when I fall off... :0 ) Some day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast