Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    i started this because i was seeing on my local trail big signs posted : reward for pics or name of the person riding the electric bike on the trail: and others with no e bikes allowed. i just picked the bomber cause i think it was the first one i saw when i goggled electric bikes. i was looking at something i could ride to work that would help my up the steep hills by my house. i think the bomber is cool and all the olny place that i have been where i could see needing it would be tiger with the climb at the front and the long downhill back down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrosey View Post
    i started this because i was seeing on my local trail big signs posted : reward for pics or name of the person riding the electric bike on the trail: and others with no e bikes allowed. i just picked the bomber cause i think it was the first one i saw when i goggled electric bikes. i was looking at something i could ride to work that would help my up the steep hills by my house. i think the bomber is cool and all the olny place that i have been where i could see needing it would be tiger with the climb at the front and the long downhill back down.
    Local and State Laws, how they are enforced (or lack of enforcement), will really determine whether or not you can share trails with mountain bikes. If those signs posted on the trails have been put up by the local law enforcement, it's probably a good idea not to be mistaken for that other guy on an e-bike. He probably rode like a jacka$$ and probably hurt someone. Most official signs usually cite some sort of law or municipal code at the bottom if there is a clear restriction for "motorized vehicles" or "motorized bicycles."

One thing is more certain, if it is federal land including, but not limited to a National Park, so long as the bike falls under the legal definition of an e-bike, it can go anywhere a regular bike can go. Of course law enforcement, such as Park Rangers, seldom actually know the laws and may cite you anyway.

Anyhow, if you're going to be doing street riding, there are other options out there that are far cheaper than the Bomber. Though not electric, this is a good example.

Motopeds by Moto Fusion ? Kickstarter

However, if you store your bike indoors, then electric is the way to go.

mtbr member
    I'm skeptical about the wisdom of using Marzocchi mtb parts on that Motoped. I doubt they were designed for the extra weight of the engine, frame and gas, not to mention the speed. Same for the brakes.
    "My riding style - like I'm being chased by a clown." - rscecil007

Cat Herder
    FWIW the appeal of an e-assisted commuter rig is primarily the zero emissions aspect. For real. I absolutely refuse to take a job that requires that I sit in my car alone in traffic. NFW. Won't do it.

But the range of potential jobs increases somewhat with the access an e-bike can afford. (I currently pedal 15 mi one way for work.) I'm totally fine being "that guy" in the bike cage. Beats being a fat ass in the parking lot.

Like scotteric I am also intrigued by the possibility of an e-MTB for big backcountry rides of 30+ miles. I don't think the Stealth Bomber (the name is horrible too btw) is what I want. Something lighter and less of an e-moto.
    Eat. Ride. Sleep. Repeat

mtbr member
    The places you can legally ride an e-bike, I'd rather just ride a dirt bike.
    Even if you could rip up Corral Pass pretty quick, I wouldn't really want to descend any of those trails on a 50-60lb "bike".
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    There's a big old debate going on Pinkbike now about this very subject. Tempers are flaring! There definitely needs to be a discussion but I don't see why people need to have a "holier than thou" attitude about it. The technology is here and I believe more older mt bikers are going to start considering e-bikes as an option to allow them to still get out in the woods and have fun because for a lot of people that's why we do this, not to beat someone else's Strava time..............

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scotteric View Post
    There's a big old debate going on Pinkbike now about this very subject. Tempers are flaring! There definitely needs to be a discussion but I don't see why people need to have a "holier than thou" attitude about it. The technology is here and I believe more older mt bikers are going to start considering e-bikes as an option to allow them to still get out in the woods and have fun because for a lot of people that's why we do this, not to beat someone else's Strava time..............
    Not sure what you consider "older", but I'm 52 and not uber-fit. Believe me, I could use all the help there is, but there's no way in hell I'd be riding an e-bike on MTB trails. Non-motorized means non-motorized.
    Am I holier-than-thou? I don't think so. Ride 'em all you want on MX courses.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    maybe thats why people dont want them cause of the strava times. I hate to say it but there going to be on our trails whether we like it or not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mrosey View Post
    maybe thats why people dont want them cause of the strava times. I hate to say it but there going to be on our trails whether we like it or not.
    I ride motos and mtb, but believe me I am going to call out anyone riding an e bike on an unmotorized trail. the REAL holier than thou douchebags are those who feel they can disobey the rules by riding motorized vehicles on trails which grassroots organizations work hard to open, keep open and maintain. How the heck are the other user groups going to react to these things on multi use trails? a majority already hate bikes. There's no grey area on this matter, there's already too much at stake to discuss it further.
    if you see one out there where they shouldn't be(I havent yet), tell them to unclip the battery and pedal out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic reducer View Post
    I ride motos and mtb, but believe me I am going to call out anyone riding an e bike on an unmotorized trail. the REAL holier than thou douchebags are those who feel they can disobey the rules by riding motorized vehicles on trails which grassroots organizations work hard to open, keep open and maintain. How the heck are the other user groups going to react to these things on multi use trails? a majority already hate bikes. There's no grey area on this matter, there's already too much at stake to discuss it further.
    if you see one out there where they shouldn't be(I havent yet), tell them to unclip the battery and pedal out.
    they will prob react the same waythey react now, i bet most wont know its a eletric bike most will see it as a nother god damn mountainbiker thats ruining my nature walk destroying the trails and scaring the fish.
    it needs to be discussed before its to late and we lose trails. personally im looking at one for commutinng to work not for trail riding as of yet.

and then there is this from skyungjae: One thing is more certain, if it is federal land including, but not limited to a National Park, so long as the bike falls under the legal definition of an e-bike, it can go anywhere a regular bike can go. Of course law enforcement, such as Park Rangers, seldom actually know the laws and may cite you anyway

​So there allowing it and im sure its a matter of time before it becomes a state thing.

mtbr member
    From National Park Service reference manual #41:

Motor Vehicle: Any vehicle that is self-propelled, including any vehicle that is propelled by electric power but not operated on rails or upon water. This includes, but is not limited to cars, trucks, all-terrain vehicles (ATV) and motorcycles. (See 36 CFR 1.4, Definitions).

Motorized Equipment: Any machine that applies force by transferring energy from a motor, engine, or other non-living power source. This includes, but is not limited to, such machines as aircraft, drones, snowmobiles, motorboats, chainsaws, weed whackers, power drills, power saws, generators, compressors, windmills or turbines, and snow or leaf blowers. "Motorized equipment" does not include shavers, wrist watches, clocks, flashlights, cameras, camping stoves, solar panels, batteries, explosives, Geiger counters, cellular telephones, portable electronic media devices, radio receivers or transmitters, GPS units, or other similar small, battery-powered, hand-carried personal camping equipment.

Therefore: No motorized vehicles means no e-bikes. Just a matter of time before the mountain e-bike business plan goes south.

Like was stated above... The places you can legally ride an e-bike, I'd rather just ride a dirt bike.
    - Be Someone

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    They said that about the electric car too. Yet i see more and more every day.

mtbr member
    But electric cars are not illegal to drive on the road!

Until they get the battery/motor weight down so it isn't a 20lb+ penalty, I doubt you will see many on the trails. I think the bigger issue will be on paved trails. my LBS gets various e-bike demo bikes in all the time and they are a lot of fun to cruise around on. I could see using one to commute to work but not trail riding.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    That is true you can drive a electric car but the push back from the motoring public as well as company's that make non electric cars were trying to and are still trying to stop the electric car for being sold and driven. Not much different here, just takes that voice or voices to get something changed. We see it with trail closures and losing riding areas as well as new areas opening to us by showing we can take care of the land and will help improve the land. I personally think that when they start selling it at the local bike shop is when it will change. My local has fat bikes now cause there all the craze, and I'm seeing it in mountain bike mags about the electric bike. And when mags and website start getting behind something you know the rest. Enduro anyone?

mtbr member
    ABC... Always Be Closing.

If you pull this off, people will be saying, "Wow, that mrosey. He could sell ketchup popsicles to a women in white gloves."
    - Be Someone

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Lmao!!!
    I don't have a electric bike nor do I see myself getting one anytime soon, just wanted to put it out there and get a discussion going about it. Not I'm going to lead the charge to get them legalized. just there becoming a big thing like fat bikes. Truthfully I'm all about let's share the outdoors with whoever and electronic bikes are a Grey area as to where you can ride them. The riders don't want to use them on motor trails cause of motor bikes and rooster tails noise bla bla bla, and we don't want them on trails for what? The law says no? I don't think they make tons of noise like a motorcycle does. Do they scare fishes?

P's I think when I meet you guys on the trails I won't say I'm mosey, don't want to get beat up my tires flattened and my shoes took.

mtbr member
    I'll tell you what... You can get a good look at a bull by sticking your head up the butchers a$$, but wouldn't you rather take his word for it?

It's in the definition of "M...O...T...O...R V...E...H...I...C...L...E".
    - Be Someone

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Tommy Boy - may he rest in peace.

I am totally against them on non-motorized trails - muscle powered recreation is a very easy concept to grasp. However enforcement will be incredibly difficult (except for peer pressure).

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston67 View Post
    Tommy Boy - may he rest in peace.

I am totally against them on non-motorized trails - muscle powered recreation is a very easy concept to grasp. However enforcement will be incredibly difficult (except for peer pressure).
    Yeah we tried that with suspension back in the 90's, but failed. People are lazy and have poor skills, so anything that makes a sport easier is bound to be a hit with the public. E-bikes are coming to mtb, they are already on all the rail-trails, bike paths, etc.

Don't practice to be better, buy to be better. It's the American way! And we've exported it to the world...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Pay to win!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    >Yeah we tried that with suspension back in the 90's, but failed.

Hmmmm...I don't remember that effort. I remember the normal grousing about new technology (including me) but I don't remember anyone every actually saying they shouldn't be allowed on the trails.

>People are lazy and have poor skills, so anything that makes a sport easier is bound to be a hit with the public.

Another way to look at it is, if you are highly awesome and skilled, these same tools make you even more awesome. Its like when people say 29'ers are for the proverbial dentist because they "make the trail easier" that is totally neglecting that if they make the trail easier for hte beginner, then they will supercharge the advanced rider.

Anyway those points aren't important, and may even be interpreted as me supporting new technology on the trail and I guess they do up to the point of motors, which I reject. If our bikes eventually have 30" wheels and weigh 8 lbs and the gears and suspension shift around automatically, I would probably be happy with that. But once its powered, its a motorized vehicle and then we may as well ride motorcycles, e or otherwise.
    A Red Line ! (and not the O.... never mind)

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Let me put a different angle on this issue. I've been mtbing for years competing in Enduro events for the past 16 months. Up to 2months ago I would have never considered an electric assist bike of any kind. But now I'm facing major surgery on my leg and could be off the trails for many months.

Having seen this video of Nico using the new Lapierre ebike to get himself back on the bike after knee surgery last year I am now seriously considering getting one of these machines. It could be the difference in spending 3-6month less off the trails.

Nico Vouilloz is Back - Overvolt Lapierre - YouTube

This bike has pedal assist so it does no more damage to the trails than any standard FS bike.

mtbr member
    Have you thought about what will happen if you crash or brake down in the backcountry with a leg that's not ready for it.

mtbr member
    May 2013

electric bikes on wa trails?

No different than if you were to crash in the back country and hurt your leg.

mtbr member
    As I have stated in several of the previous threads on this topic, I am open to assist type bikes for the disabled that have strict weight limits (40lbs, ok, 80lb, no way) and limit total power output to no more than that of a strong rider.

The physical footprint of a mountain bike is smaller than that of a boot or shoe, and it can generate a much higher level of horizontal force during braking than a hiker. A biker has a higher impact on a trail than a hiker, and this is taken into consideration when multi-use trails are built and maintained.

If we can get a class of ebikes into the realm of impact of the typical pedal powered bike, I greatly support their admittance on multi-use trails for persons with disabilities that greatly reduce their pedaling strength. They need to greatly eliminate the noise, though. I hit the trails to see and hear nature while testing my skill, not to listen to a motor.

There should be no other exceptions. If you are not strong enough to pedal a trail due to no medical conditions, then you need to do what everyone else does and ride, ride, ride until you can, or walk the steep sections, or take lots of breaks, or whatever.

There really is no excuse that can be made outside of a medical condition that is nothing more than laziness. I spent maybe eight minutes climbing several hundred feet of trail that I could barely keep the front wheel planted, with my 11yo son on Saturday, and I am somewhere around 400lbs. Muscles scream for mercy and knees hurt by the end, but I've got no need for motors.

I predict an evenutuality of either no motorized bikes being permitted except on trails for motorized vehicles, or limited trail use, more so than pedal bikes. I think e-bikers face the same uphill battle we face, and they will have to work harder to meet the impact requirements. I suspect we will see a lot of illegal trail riding in the coming years. I personally will try to imform without being abrasive, while simultaneously reporting any abuses the same as I would for a biker or hiker (I avoid all horse areas for safety concerns).

I wish the ebikers luck, and I hope they consider the motorized trails because there is a lot of fantastic riding on those trails and roads, even for the lightly powered pedal versions, where they can rip much harder that on the multi-use trails.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast