I5Troll

Echo Ridge outside of Chelan -- any recommendations?

Looks like tons of trails: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5414319.pdf

Saw a post from way back when recommending Shoe and Outback. Any other recommendations on the most fun trails? ...or a recommended loop?

Is Chelan Butte worth it?

Thanks!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    GFrohs ridden Echo... he seemed to like it enough.

I can say Chelan Butte was not really worth it, when I rode it years ago.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Yeah...it hasn't been the same since the USFS regraded and widened a bunch of the trails to accommodate snowmobiles -- more like cyclocross territory these day. But if you're already in Chelan, it's got some nice views and you can string together a decent workout.

Here's a suggested route:

1. Park at the bottom of the hill near the Uncle Tim's cabin complex, at the junction of 8020, 8021 and the bergman gulch trailhead. (lower left on the map)

2. Because you certainly do not want to disturb the nesting riparians (and because the sandy, shitty climb isn't really worth it anyways), do not poach Bergman's. Instead, go right up the 8021 road to the "Switchback Trailhead". You could also park here.

3. Climb "Switchback Alley" and think about how much more fun it will be descending later.

4. At the intersection with "The Shoe," go right. The counter-clockwise loop steadily climbs as it traverses the hillside.

5. When you come to the trailhead, pop out on the road (8021.1) and take a right, climbing up past the lower trailhead parking lot to the upper lot. Admire the view. Also check out the rad yert warming hut just above the lot.

6. Take Upsy-Daisy to Grand Junction.

7. At Grand Junction, you'll see a piece of unsigned singletrack in between Zippity Do-Da and Windsinger. Don't ride it up over the hill down a sandy chute to Chaos Corner, because it's not an authorized trail (for about the last decade).

8. If your tolerance for wide, sandy and pointless is high at this point, ride Alley Oop clockwise and check out the view at Purte View.

9. Take either Windsinger or Zippity Do-Da back up to Grand Junction. They both kind of suck so flip a coin.

10. Back at Grand Junction, climb Morning Glory up to High Five Junction (you could also do Grand Drop/Far East).

11. From High Five Junction, do a short climb up Ridge View, taking a left for the brief grunt up to the viewpoint. Enjoy the view.

12. Take the "Short Cut" back to Morning Glory back to High Five Junction.

13. From High Five Junction, grab Little Critter. It climbs just a bit, then turns into a pretty fast, flowish descent.

14. About 3/4 of the way through, keep an eye out for an unmarked spur off to the right which will drop you the North Junction.

15. From North Junction, start climbing up Outback. When you reach the split, take a right to do the loop counter-clockwise.

16. Outback climbs for a while, then flattens out, then climbs again to the spur for the summit. You can ride/push up there and check it out if the mood strikes.

17. From the junction for the summit option, Outback begins to descend fast. It's a reasonably fun ripper; just watch for baby-heads and pedal grabbers 'cause you'll be moving. Keep going all the way back down to North Junction.

18. From North Junction, climb the 8010 road up to Spaghetti Junction.

19. Take Somewhere to Ride and think about how much better the trail could be if it weren't 20ft wide.

20. Watch for the singletrack cutoff for The Shoe. Catch the only air you're likely to get all day off the tiny step up right before it hits the 8021.1 road.

21. Cross the road and go either clockwise or counter-clockwise on The Shoe. I usually take the counter-clockwise loop.

22. At Switchback Alley, rail your way back to the 8021 road. Then ride back down the hill to your vehicle.

23. Open cooler, drink a beer, and think about how great it will be when the snow melts off Pot Peak and Uno Peak.

I'm not positive, but I think that's something like 12 miles and 1800' vert? If you want more, you can always loop it twice 'cause it won't take you very long.

Chelan Butte's not really worth it. There were some "unauthorized trail mods" that added a dash of spicy salsa a few years ago, but I've heard they've been decomm'ed. Gddmn you, Dumber-Downers!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I've been family camping in Chelan several times over the past 2 summers. Ridden up at Echo each trip to Chelan. To start with all the trails there would be *perfect* for kids & beginners. If you're looking for a workout definitely park down at the ski hill/Uncle Tim's trailhead lot and follow GeePhroh's climbing directions. The trails I've had the most fun riding are from Grand Junction to North Junction linking Grand Drop, Far East, Big Critter, & Lickety Split.

There's a newish trail that has not been turned into a XC ski run yet. I think it was part of the mtb race last year and is a downhill singletrack. I recommend this trail as your route down the hill back to your car. At the end of last summer the trail wasn't signed. To find it head up Outback from the North Junction. A couple hundred feet up on the left is where the trail peels off. It traverses the hillside above Bergman Gulch. It was pretty rough and the water bars have not been removed. It ties into Cooper Ridge (8020) road which you'll ride down a ways. Keep your eye open for a road/trail that heads off right makes a short climb then a trail drops off down to the left. This trail will take you the base of the ski area. Or just stay on the 8020 back to your car.

That's all I've got on Echo. Gonna be back in Chelan in mid-June. My camping & biking bud wants to pedal up the Butte and ride the trail down. I'll do just about anything once.

Question for the Devils Backbone/Pot Peak veterans. If you get dropped off at the top how long would it take to get back to the 25Mile Cr St.Park? We're camping there in mid-July for a long boating weekend with friends. I'm sure I could talk someone into driving me up the hill. The preferred route would be drive up 8410 and get dropped off at Windy Camp. Ride up Stormy Mtn, across Devils Backbone, then hang a right down Pot Peak trail?

I5Troll
    Awesome. Huge thanks guys!

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Eerie View Post
    Question for the Devils Backbone/Pot Peak veterans. If you get dropped off at the top how long would it take to get back to the 25Mile Cr St.Park? We're camping there in mid-July for a long boating weekend with friends. I'm sure I could talk someone into driving me up the hill. The preferred route would be drive up 8410 and get dropped off at Windy Camp. Ride up Stormy Mtn, across Devils Backbone, then hang a right down Pot Peak trail?
    Hmmm...I've always ridden it from 5900 (Shady Pass Rd) instead of Windy Camp. There's a trailhead right past Handy Spring. Last time I did it I was solo so rode pretty conservatively (there's a couple of spots with a lot of chunk and hairy exposure on the ridgeline), but kept moving and ended up making down to Snowberry in about 2.5 hours or so. Add about 15-20 minutes give-or-take back down to 25mile creek.

Mid-July should be pretty good, but depending on whether the moto dudes have been in to brush the trail, you may find sections near the top of Pot Peak with heavy vegetation. Watch for pedal and brake grabbers!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    Hmmm...I've always ridden it from 5900 (Shady Pass Rd) instead of Windy Camp.
    I meant to pose the route as a question! That's what I was trying to get to - from which side do you head towards Pot Peak Trail. Thanks for answering it. I'll defintely dig up condition info on the motosites when the time get's closer.

I5Troll
    GeePhroh, awesome and hilarious instructions. I assume step 14 (unmarked trail) crosses over Big Critter to get to North Junc TH?

Eerie, same! Will scout out the DH from Outback to Cooper Ridge before hitting Outback. If it looks open... I hope to have the energy for a 2nd loop and we'll turn off on your route from Gd Junc... the east side trails and finish up on the DH to Cooper Ridge.

Gracias!

I5Troll
    I'm curious... has anyone ridden Devil's Backbone from the Windy Camp side to Pot Peak? I've done it twice from the Handy Spring / 5900 Rd side and that involves a lot of hike-a-bike. Still worth it though... awesome views!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by mwestra2 View Post
    I'm curious... has anyone ridden Devil's Backbone from the Windy Camp side to Pot Peak? I've done it twice from the Handy Spring / 5900 Rd side and that involves a lot of hike-a-bike. Still worth it though... awesome views!
    Everytime I've looked into that, I've heard reports about the road being in unpassable or in bad shape...for cars at least!

Mike have you ridden Uno Peak? That's one of my faves- one the yearly must-do list..

I5Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Everytime I've looked into that, I've heard reports about the road being in unpassable or in bad shape...for cars at least!
    Bringing back memories... I think I've heard that before.

Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Mike have you ridden Uno Peak? That's one of my faves- one the yearly must-do list..
    I haven't, but does indeed sound like a must-do. I really want to hit the Cooney Lake -> Angel's Staircase -> Horsehead Pass Loop this year. Ridden parts as out&back but never the whole loop. Uno & Angel's over a weekend this summer? Hmmmmmmm!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Mike, you may be able to do the Cooney/Horsehead loop from the South Navarre side as a lollipop but even Armando and Igor may cry a little on that one. Save Uno for an "easy" day two...

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mwestra2 View Post
    I haven't, but does indeed sound like a must-do. I really want to hit the Cooney Lake -> Angel's Staircase -> Horsehead Pass Loop this year. Ridden parts as out&back but never the whole loop. Uno & Angel's over a weekend this summer? Hmmmmmmm!
    Let me know if you want some company on that one Mike. I've been wanting to do that loop for the last few years. Had the car all packed to go last year when they closed the road due to fire. This is the year!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Mike, you may be able to do the Cooney/Horsehead loop from the South Navarre side as a lollipop but even Armando and Igor may cry a little on that one. Save Uno for an "easy" day two...
    Not sure why you'd bother when there's so much great riding within 2hrs of Seattle/Issy!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    A proposal to add 11 miles of purpose built trail to Echo is in the works. Should go public one the GOV shutdown is over. Next time your up this way look me up and I'll give you the latest beta on local trails. Also, next year a map will be published that is bike route specific to help folks select the right combo of trails.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pwillard View Post
    A proposal to add 11 miles of purpose built trail to Echo is in the works. Should go public one the GOV shutdown is over. Next time your up this way look me up and I'll give you the latest beta on local trails. Also, next year a map will be published that is bike route specific to help folks select the right combo of trails.
    Nice! If there's anything I can help out with, let me know...just pm'ed you...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I am going over to Chelan this weekend. Do they hunt up on Echo Ridge? (I've never been there before).

Jackd

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    You can hunt at Echo but the general deer season is over in that unit so you are not likely to encounter many, if any, hunters. Also, if you ride in the middle of the day you tend to miss the normal times that hunters are out on the ground. Some of the better trails are: Shoe, Switchback Alley, Outback, Ridgeview, Morning Glory, Little Critter, Nowhere to hide. Also, the trail described in previous posts above used in the recent races is a nice decent back to the bottom.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the info on this Echo Ridge ride. I had a great time on Saturday pretty much riding the described route. Saw a few cars in the parking lots but no one on the trails. No hunters either. The route you described is really a good way to get the lay of the land. Hits just about every area. As described, most of the ride is easy smooth stuff in a great location.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    more from the Wenatchee World

CHELAN The Chelan Ranger District is proposing to build 6.5 miles of new trails and reconstruct 4.4 miles of ski trails at Echo Ridge for summer use.

The proposal would improve the quality of non-motorized summer trails at the area, which are now used mostly for cross country skiing. Echo Ridge is about eight miles northwest of Chelan.

According to the proposed action report, the trails would help meet the increased demand for mountain biking in the area. The proposal increases the miles of single-track trails for mountain bikers and hikers, add trails that would appeal to riders of intermediate to expert ability, complementing those already developed for beginner to intermediate ability.

According to the proposal, the trail development would have no impact on endangered or sensitive fish or wildlife, and there are no sensitive plants in the area.

Forest Service officials will decide whether to implement the plan, and what design features to include if the trails are developed.

Comments will be accepted until late November, either online at fs.usda.gov/okawen by finding Echo Ridge Summer Trails under Land & Resource Management project. Letters can also be sent to Paul Willard, Chelan Ranger District, 428 W. Woodin Ave., Chelan, WA, 98816.

More information is available from Willard at 682-4960.