Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Last word is all yours...

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Duthie Parking - tickets and towing on the way

If you can't find a spot in the park parking lot, park at the school. If you park on the street in the neighborhood, you may soon be ticketed or towed:

City of Sammamish Parking on Trossachs: The group unanimously has concerns with the vast amount of outsiders parking on Trossachs Blvd. for the Duthie Hill Bike Park. Many are frustrated. Over the summer, many calls and emails came into the Management office regarding this dilemma. Since the roads are public, the Association has been recommending owners to contact City of Sammamish.
    The Association wants to take a proactive stand on this issue. With this, we will start up a group to schedule a City Council Meeting and voice the concern, especially with the safety issue this causes. If you are interested in being a part of this effort, please let the office know.
    Management will be coordinate with a Towing Company to place signage appropriately at the parking area near the tennis courts, advising non-residents that this is private parking and they can be towed. There was also discussion of issuing parking stickers to residents, but this would be a last option due to control.

Fortunately, the school is only about 50 yards further down the road. Spread the word.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Really seems like this will be a non-issue once the new parking lot is put in.

But in the meantime, i don't understand the mentality of a biker how can't pedal a couple more blocks to park at the school. One you're on a bike, so you can pedal, it's not a big deal. And second, you've got a bike rack, so all these rich influential neighbors start getting a cork up their collective butts when it comes to viewing mt. bikers. As a mt. biker you have the right to be an *******, but you really should understand that we as a group are a tiny vulnerable group, and there are bigger groups with larger *******s.

Anyways, we wrap up the construction of the park completely in June, then they move on to building the parking lot. Hopefully the lot is large enough so all the parking issues simply go away, but like so many thorns in the side, these little things have a tendency to fester.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

Bigger Picture

My kid really enjoyed Dirt Riders.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Duthie Parking - tickets and towing on the way-img_0699.jpg  

Last edited by r1de; 02-04-2012 at 09:25 PM.
    --
    -bp

widebody
    Mar 2004
    Now BP help me on this one.....

Parking during school hours as I have the occasional Fridays off. Nice open spot with no one playing tennis on the Blvd. or take up one of the parents spots picking up their kiddo? Current lot at Duthie is/was full. Yesterday for the first time I chose to park on the street.

Yeah, I know I should ride from home but sometimes time and daylight are limited.

How's the mouth/teeth?

John

I got the velcros
    Sep 2010
    Hah, "outsiders".

How very Eastside of them.

Sent you a PM instead.
    Last edited by r1de; 02-04-2012 at 09:26 PM.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    I almost always park on the blvd along the curb, preferring there to the school lot. However, as a former roadie I can relate to potential safety issue w/ often so many MTBers cars in the bike. No biggee, I was not that interested in going to D anymore, for a # of reasons. Thanks R1de for the post.
    Ride ON!
    Just a bike geek. Rode since 4 yo & still love BMX. MTBer since '86... "Life is a Circle"

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by r1de View Post
    1. Courtesy should be extended to neighbors of any bike park or trail system, irrespective of their apparent (real or perceived) affluence.
    Yah i would say real... it's all relative, but c'mon we're not talking a neighborhood in Skyway or Orting here.

You are absolutely correct as far as the courtesy though. It just would be a complete drag to not be able to plan a childs graduation party or even a Superbowl party at your house for fear all your street parking will be taken up from bikers.

1. My understanding is that the new parking lot will be considerably more remote than the current one - or even the school. I'm less optimistic that it will come soon enough or be attractive enough to solve this problem on its own.
    Really i heard that they're looking at the triangular lot just a few hundred yards West of the South access gate, Grand Ridge TH. i dunno, maybe you know something i don't. i do know the entire chunk just East of the South access gate was left alone in anticipation for a parking lot. One thing i do know is there is going to be a parking lot in addition to the one that currently exists. And i have faith that the County understands and will address the issue. Guess we'll all find out soon enough one way or the other.

But if this community were to understand that there is a solution being lined out, then perhaps they won't go to any undue measure that would waste time for them. For in a year or two things might be in a better spot.

1. Most significantly... as you and many of the "political insiders"(?) know,
    Actually you're the political insider dude. You have a title. i don't, never have had, and likely never will. i just go to meetings, and have conversations with folk.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I never park there, but can someone explain how and why that would be considered "private" parking? Aren't they city streets?

Reminds me of the city streets in downtown Issaquah that you can be ticketed for driving on if you don't live there. Even if you own one of the houses.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

The parking situation is not going to be solved overnight

Unfortunately the parking situation at Duthie is going to be solved at the speed of government; a speed which operates at a snails pace.

Furthermore you have a park managed at the county level and 3 cities (Issaquah, Sammamish, and Fall City) surrounding it. It will take a lot more patience by park users until the county actually breaks ground on a new parking lot. And that process can significantly slow further if the cities nearby choose to not cooperate with the county or complaints from nearby properties owners trigger additional levels of review/scrutiny.

Duthie has already lost the use of Endeavor Elementary as a supplemental parking lot. The trend of the creation of unsanctioned park entry points across private property will only further complicate the process.

The issue of adequate parking was flagged at the very beginning of the project. If originally the issue of parking had to be addressed starting back in 2009 it is likely none of what currently exists out at Duthie would have been allowed to be started.

Gees look at the development pace of the Issaquah Highland Bike Park. It will probably be another 1 or 2 years (if ever) before a shovel is allowed to be stuck into the dirt and that land was donated to the city of Issaquah. And if you guessed that the issue of adequate parking for that project is one of the major drag facts, you would be correct.

I would like to thank King County for allowing the project to progress in the matter it has and I will do what I can to keep the peace with the local neighbors until the project is fully complete (including the parklot and the regional trail connector).
    The quiver: 2010 Santa Cruz Nomad, 2011 Specialized Demo II, 2011 Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

You aren't living if you aren't complaining

Seriously? Parking on a public street, where there is more than enough room for cars, has to be a major issue for the neighborhood. I will say that the days that I've been at Duthie later in the day, there are way more people on the street than in the school. Part of the problem with the school lot is the huge berm covers the cars, which makes me worry about someone breaking into my car. But that is where I park because that's where we've been asked to park. No point in ruffling feathers, even those super sensitive feather located near the rear of the duck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jdusto View Post
    Unfortunately the parking situation at Duthie is going to be solved at the speed of government; a speed which operates at a snails pace.
    $1 for over/under 2 years break ground. i'll take the under.

Quote Originally Posted by BallardFoodie View Post
    Seriously?
    Don't be bent that you are an "outsider", just roll with it.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Let me start with the fact that I do park at the school if I have to and encourage others to do the same, but this really bothers me.

Since the roads are public
    Legally, this isn't a valid. If they towed cars for being legally parked on a public road I would have a major problem. By the way, I live on the "eastside."

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Skookum View Post
    As a mt. biker you have the right to be an *******, but you really should understand that we as a group are a tiny vulnerable group, and there are bigger groups with larger *******s.
    That's really helpful.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    If I lived in the neighborhood, I would be upset with all the cars. I go through there all the time on weekends and like others have said, it isn't difficult to go another few hundred yards up the road and park in the lot. The cars parked on the road are parked in bike lanes. There are tons of kids with bikes and these cars are forcing them to ride around the cars into the path of cars. That alone would be enough to make some residents very upset.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kenobonn View Post
    helpful.
    Micro-critique, get off my tip Kenny.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Micro-critique, get off my tip Kenny.
    Absolutely, I''m sure you need to exercise your rights to be an *******. BTW, my name is Ken, not Kenny.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kenobonn View Post
    Absolutely, I''m sure you need to exercise your rights to be an *******. BTW, my name is Ken, not Kenny.
    Thanks Kenny, be sure to wear your helmet.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Really i heard that they're looking at the triangular lot just a few hundred yards West of the South access gate, Grand Ridge TH. i dunno, maybe you know something i don't. i do know the entire chunk just East of the South access gate was left alone in anticipation for a parking lot. One thing i do know is there is going to be a parking lot in addition to the one that currently exists. And i have faith that the County understands and will address the issue. Guess we'll all find out soon enough one way or the other.
    Looks like you are now the holder of the title ... "duthie-pedia"
    The quiver: 2010 Santa Cruz Nomad, 2011 Specialized Demo II, 2011 Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Probably "cheaper" for some to just pay their 75 Tokul bucks and ride in relative solitude without parking issues considering all the Duthie drama.

Rider
    any options to build up some freeride trails at Tokul?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Besides the ones that are maybe already out there? Options are always around everywhere if the risks are worth it.

Seriously though, people need to realize there are other places to ride and quit complaining like it's the only game in town and there always has to be a spot for them in the parking lot at any given time they feel like riding there.

Take the high road peoples and park where requested, go at off peak hours, or expect not to find a spot in the lot at 10 on a sunny saturday morning. And, the one trick pony FR/DH people need to spread their wings and ride the exits or places they can easily find out about through friends and aquaintances.

There are other places to ride, what ever style is preferred.Probably get just as tired saying it as you all get hearing it....

Rider
    The exits have some fun trails, i worry sometimes about the risk of getting a ticket. it would be nice to have a few more local legal options. lots of great trails around more old school xc and am riding!

I-5 Colonnade is empty and a great place to right when it's wet out!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Have there been any sightings of any type of enforcement at Tokul yet?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Two that were just warnings by the F & W folks. Back to the Duthie parking thread....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast