Dream Design Dig Repeat

Duthie, Grand Ridge & Henry's Ridge to close - unless you vote!

The title is a little bit dramatic, but it is 100% true. If you live in King County, be sure to vote before Aug. 6.

Here's the deal. King County parks get over 70% of their funding through a levy. They get no money from the general fund. The current 6 year levys are expiring, so a new one is being voted on. (Last time it was 2 levys, this time they are rolled in to one). If it doesn't pass, the parks system will effectively shut down.

The six-year property tax levy we are voting on is 18.77 cents per $1,000 of assessed value. This translates to only about $56 per year for a family living in a $300,000 home.

Here's more info: Yes for Our Parks! - Why Vote Yes?

I personally sat on the Levy Oversight Committee for the past few years. Our job was to make sure the money was being spent as it should. I am impressed with King Co Parks level of efficiency and how well the department is managed. Top notch.

I also sat on the citizen committee that proposed the new levy structure to the County Executive. I read through the actual levy language, and it is well written and consistent with our recommendations.

I am quite proud of our parks department. I am incredibly happy with how they have supported mountain biking. And I wish all governement agencies were as efficient as they are.

Right now polling shows that the vote will be close. Polling also shows that the more people know about the levy, the more likely they are to support it.

If you don't usually get out and vote, please vote this time. Every vote matters.

Vote this week and vote YES on King County Prop 1!
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    This thing MUST pass. I ask each of you to tell three people about the levy, and why to vote yes. This is a VERY big deal.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

I didn't do it
    Are we getting a ballot in the mail for this? I have to admit I haven't heard anything so thanks for the heads up.

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nwbikur View Post
    Are we getting a ballot in the mail for this? I have to admit I haven't heard anything so thanks for the heads up.
    I already got mine. Last Friday or such.
    Rolland

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sagebrush Slug View Post
    I already got mine. Last Friday or such.
    Thanks for the info, I'll look through my mail. It's probably in between the QFC, Safeway and tanning ads.

mtbr member

Re: Duthie, Grand Ridge & Henry's Ridge to close - unless you vote!

I suggest we/each-of-you take your ballot to our next ride and show the "King County Proposition No. 1 Parks Levy" to riders at your favorite county trailhead and underscore the support for the trail and improvements that have been in the last two and more years need our votes for two more years of county support. Don't preach just make sure they know about it and how "approved" will help.

I tried to play devils advocate and imagine no county support and there would still be mud holes on grand ridge if parks did not prestage rock at the clay pits. We need them for the clay hill up from the bog next winter. In fact the bog crossing would never have happened.

I put on my red hat and thought "hey the trail will be there and no bureaucrats so less government" but I realized they have bent over backwards to improve our big backyard and we seriously need em.
    Last edited by Len.Francies; 07-23-2013 at 07:38 PM.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    I am going to vote as many times as I can...which unfortunately is zero. But I will remind all my KingCo friends to vote.

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    Don't forget to send in your ballots! I'm serious about this, we're at a real risk of losing important places to ride. I'm rather surprise people aren't giving this more attention.
    jvpRE.com

I didn't do it
    Its a small ballot in my hood with something like 4 things to vote on so it was pretty easy. 5 minutes and in the mail. Easy work so get those suckas in.

Remember to vote early and vote often.

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    I got mine in too, really there's only one box you need to tick, although I suppose all the school board candidates are important too.
    Rolland

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ACree View Post
    I have to admit I'd like a bit of a better understanding of where the money goes. He makes an excellent point about it being positioned as a renewal when it's an increase.

Still less than I'd pay for a key to the gate at Duthie, so I went ahead and voted for it.
    Rolland

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks to all who voted, it won with 70%
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    I'm really, really happy about this! I thought it would be really close, and I'm very happy to be wrong!
    jvpRE.com