mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Dungeness/Gold Creek yesterday

No Nancies, Courtland and I did the standard Dungeness/Gold loop yesterday. In the past (we ride this loop a few times each year) we often start this ride from the East Crossing (FS 2860) which is the old road which was washed out about 14 years ago. There is recent update on this route on the Evergreen Wiki indicating improvements have been made, and adds a scenic 6 miles to the loop. We checked out this trailhead yesterday, but with recent rain up there, we optioned for the standard route at #2870 to the #230 spur. The first mile or so, to the switchbacks was semi muddy, but not bad. Brush over the trails was not an issue. From the switchbacks on, the trail was great, damp, tacky, no mud or dust. When I say 'on' I mean the entire loop. From about the shelter on, the sun came out, and with the high snow melt, the Dungeness was 'rippin.' Even the service road climb to Gold was damp with no dust, as was the entire descent to Gold Creek. There are no words to describe the beauty of this area, only a 20 mile loop, but it will test you.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Were the Rhodies on the upper 2 miles of GC still in bloom? Add it to a Sunday morning Mt Muller and it's a good weekend all around. I assume CC has redeemed his thoughts of the trail?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Were the Rhodies on the upper 2 miles of GC still in bloom? Add it to a Sunday morning Mt Muller and it's a good weekend all around. I assume CC has redeemed his thoughts of the trail?
    Rhodies blooming, CC can be shamed into almost anything.

mtbr member
    Thx for the ride report, KC. Heard you had some tire trouble and a clif bar fix! I'll have to add that one to the bag of trailside repair tricks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yep, got a slash through the sidewall at the top of Gold Creek. Mark had a Clif Bar wrapper and between the three of us, managed to get it to hold between the tire and a tube. It was bulging, but it held all the way down Gold Creek and back to the truck. MacGyver has nothing on us.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Wrap a bunch of duct tape and electrical tape around your hand pump. Duct tape always works better than a Clif bar wrapper.

mtbr member
    Bob, that ain't a half bad idea, but c'mon. they totally get some points for the clif bar!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I tried to get Court to let me cut the tongue out of his cycling shoe for a patch, but he wouldn't let me.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The wrapper or a dollar bill are the "classic" repairs. But, why bother when you have duct tape?

Sweet
    That ride is scenic but a pain in the ass. It was a Luna bar wrapper, lemon. I rode the whole Skookum White loop with a Luna patch
    More fun than an open casket funeral