Thread: Doothstock!

I5Troll

Doothstock!

What an awesome weekend at Duthie... it was like Woodstock in the clearing on Sat! Alaskan Mill, log splitter, chainsaws, mini-dump truck hauling cedar and crushed rock, cedar rung production, JD leading a team out on the NE XC trail, 4 FR build teams doin their schtuff. Thanks everyone for all of the help out there!

As we get closer to the May 22nd Grand Opening and as the park gets more users, you're going to start to see more signs and more rules popping up. Please obey the rules and help spread the word. We've had some dangerous close calls because of folks pushing up the DH trails instead of using the roads and walk-up / ride-up paths. None of us wants to be a hard-ass, but as the project manager for this thing, if I see someone going right past a "do not enter - 1-way bike trail" sign, I'm obligated to say something. Please don't make us do that... that is far more tiring than digging in the dirt for 8 hours.

Don't forget:
    • [SIZE="3"]The park is under construction[/SIZE] and will be until posted otherwise.
    • [SIZE="3"]King County has graciously allowed riding during construction[/SIZE] -- please show them we're a responsible and respectful user group... we can follow rules.
    • [SIZE="3"]Always check everything out before you ride it[/SIZE] -- every ride! Things will change!
    • [SIZE="3"]This project is Volunteer Powered[/SIZE] -- we get most of the work done when volunteers can break away from their busy schedules to do this back-breaking work -- so it's difficult to schedule exactly when everything is going to get done.
    • [SIZE="3"]The Grand Opening celebration is on May 22[/SIZE].

If there is a rule you don't like, come and talk to us about it. Maybe we can do something. We're almost done brushing in the walk-ups for the DWB and Dirt Corps lines. Last week we brushed in a path from the clearing to the top of Ryan's Line and Zeb's Mini-D and a path from the bottom of the Mini-D back up to the top.

Here's another example...

On Sunday I saw dozens of riders ignoring the "do not enter - 1-way bike trail" signs at the bottom of the Luna beginner jump/drop lines. I received several complaints that it takes too long to ride around the picnic area and up the walk-up/ride-up trail. OK... we're going to have a lot of lessons, training and sessioning happening on those lines, so they could use a walk-up right beside the trail. And we have enough space. So work with us...

You can wait until we can do it via volunteer work parties (it's not a priority right now). Or, how about if someone takes the lead, I'll give you some flags, flag a proposed walk-up line, put a small team together, and in about an hour you could brush in a walk-up path. Fair enough?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Last edited by mwestra2; 02-22-2010 at 10:15 AM.

Cat Herder
    Glad to see so much progress out there at Duthie. Thanks for your continued hard work, Mike.
    Eat. Ride. Sleep. Repeat

mtbr member
    My first thought when reading the title was a festival to celebrate all of the work everyone has put in for the opening day of duthie called Doothstock, complete with a couple of kegs from the Issaquah/Rogue brewery and maybe some live music with skinny riding/other contests or something...

Cat Herder
    Agreed! Great idea!
    Eat. Ride. Sleep. Repeat

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Nice and dry today. Amazing what a few days of dry weather will do.

Excactus, maybe an Octagon of Death endurance ride?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Bike polo!
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    When I grow up I want to be like Mike........Westra that is

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

About riding up DH trails

Thought this was relevant to Mike's discussion on people riding up the DH lines, as seen in the Oregon thread. No commentary implied, just something to think about.

Cline Butte Collision!!!!

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by kenobonn
    Thought this was relevant to Mike's discussion on people riding up the DH lines, as seen in the Oregon thread. No commentary implied, just something to think about.

Cline Butte Collision!!!!
    Good discussion. Nastynick sort of started off on the wrong foot, but came around after a bit.

We are in the process of putting these types of signs up on Galbraith. We'll have signed entrances and exits for the obvious 5 or 6 trails. The exit signs tell riders/hikers to STOP and that they are on a one-way directional trail with riders descending at high speeds.

EB

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    There is only one one-way trail at Paradise Valley. It's signed at the top and bottom as one-way, plus we added this sign about 75 feet up from the bottom of the trail just in case someone misses the sign at the bottom of the trail. The Snohomish County guy found this sign off the shelf, so I don't think it was very expensive.

I5Troll

Signage and 1-way Trails

At Duthie and Colonnade, we were hoping that the following would be enough...

At the top of the trail:

At the bottom of the trail:

But I'm blown away at how many riders just blow right past them like they don't exist. I lost count of all the riders I've seen at Colonnade riding backwards up K-Line, the Schleyer Drop and the Drop Zone landing. We signed the heck out of it, but many have been torn down. Time to overhaul signage there.

I don't know... is "Wrong Way" more clear than "Do Not Enter"? I guess adding 1 of these at the bottom wouldn't hurt:

Last word is all yours...
    Or a sign with teeth...

--
    -bp

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hey Mike, I've been following the progress and love the way things are shaping up.

We had the same problem here, people wanted to session each feature until they were able to clear it so they had to walk back up. Eventually the trail widens to accommodate them. We even had to plan a spectator/photo shoot area to keep people from milling around on the trail.

We had custom "wrong way" 3x3" stickers made for the fiberglass posts by Rock Art Signs, which cost us extra in set up fees and now they can offer them as a stock version.

Look here and go to page 19:

http://www.rockartsigns.com/rockarts...product=Decals

They also have some neat new signs developed the same way, once the customer pays extra for a custom sign...they become a stock issue.

Most people will listen to the warnings, the others won't care, but survival of the smartest will eventually prevail.
    Michael Vitti
    CLIMB President
    www.CLIMBonline.org
    www.IMBA.com
    NY State Trails Council Member

I5Troll
    Thanks MikeV, awesome link! Met with King County today and we're going to do 2 signs at the end of the DH trails: "Do Not Enter - 1-way Bike Trail" right at the exit and then another sign 20-50 ft in that says "Wrong Way - Please go back and use the designated walk-up trail".

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Big THANKS to Travis (white Bottlerocket) for getting off the bike for a few and helping me move lumber for the next feature yesterday afternoon. I can't tell you all how much it really helps when someone gets off the bike even for a few moments to help out those workin' hard every week out there. Any little bit does help us get there. May 22nd is coming up just too fast now...
    So, thanks again!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    This whole conversation reminds me of a time at a Greenville, NC skatepark I used to frequent. X-Games stud Ryan Nyquist was mid-air doing some ridiculous double-tailwhip thing and some little 4 year old on roller skates goes wandering onto the landing ramp. Fortunately, dude was able to toss the bike to the side and leap out of the way, barely avoiding what could have been a horrific accident. Those of us too far away to stop the kid, but close enough to see what was about to happen were just frozen.

Point is -- not only do we want to keep people from pushing up the trail, but as the park attracts more families and inexperience riders, we need to sign to keep those who aren't receiving proper supervision out of harm's way. Pretty sure skull & bones signs would scare off little kids too.