Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dogs...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Dogs...

Probably doesn't apply to people here since usually when I run into mountain bikers with dogs they at least have their dogs trained to not bite people.

I pretty much have had it after getting bitten in the leg now for the second time by a hiker's dog this year and I'm only counting the times it drew blood. Next time I see a dog running up to me when biking it's getting a swift pre-emptive kick to the head and I'm biking away. I'm tired of trying to be nice, stopping, getting out of the way etc and still getting bit. Keep your stupid animal in check or don't bring it to the trails...

EMBA Member
    uh oh, I don't think the scab is dry from the last time this topic came up...

mtbr member
    If you ride with dogs, then other dogs are too busy sniffing your dogs to worry about trying to bite you!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

Don't worry, be happy!
    I heard a good one the other guy. I politely told a couple with a dog I would for them to go (way) ahead of me as I don't like dogs getting under my wheel. reply "oh if he does, just tap him with the wheel"...

Justin Vander Pol
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    I heard a good one the other guy. I politely told a couple with a dog I would for them to go (way) ahead of me as I don't like dogs getting under my wheel. reply "oh if he does, just tap him with the wheel"...
    Yeah, that one bugs me, I have a lot of friends say that or say "just run over him if he gets in the way". Sorry, I really don't want to mangle your dog, it would make me feel really bad.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    What usually happens is the bike rider crashes and gets hurt and the dog is fine.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    What usually happens is the bike rider crashes and gets hurt and the dog is fine.

Can you say "endo"?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Re: Dogs...

Can you say "endo"?
    I had a guy's dog literally bounce off my front wheel and later jump onto the trail in front of me on a fast steep downhill.

At the regroup he was bragging about what a perfect trail dog it was. I said almost taking me out twice is hardly perfect. He ignored me.

He also let's his dog chase nesting birds in a reserve when we do trail work.
    I pity the dog. I have ZERO respect for him.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Don't worry, be happy!
    I'm to the point of if someone shows up with a dog that I do not know/cannot trust I will bag my ride if it's supposed to be some sort of group thing. I've lost friends over it because I won't ride with their dog, who does not perform as the owner thinks it does. Two endos with a shoulder injury from "he always stays with/in front of/behind me" dogs and I'm done.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I enjoy riding with dogs. They're fun to watch and are always so psyched.
    ...unlike some people, some people are so bitter.

Don't worry, be happy!

Dogs...

Not bitter, if you are referring to me. The way I stay not bitter is to take care of myself, choose to do something different instead of staying in a situation that WILL piss me off and cause anxiety.

Sent from my iPad - Stupid autocorrect!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Actually, Formica, I'm not referring to you. I totally respect your apparent self awareness and knowing it, would never bring my dogs on a ride with you. Were we to ever ride together.
    I don't bring the pups along for group rides because it will be mayhem. My boys are good on the trail, but not that good. I take them for exercise, so it's usually just me, or me and a friend. Riding, running, hiking. Dogs need more than stimulation, they need exercise and they LOVE running in the woods as much as me.

It's comments like "Next time I see a dog running up to me when biking it's getting a swift preemptive kick to the head and I'm biking away" that really get my goat (whatever that means). I am prone to defense of my family. My dogs are my family, as much as my wife, kid and my friends. That action would cause major conflict with regrettable results for everyone involved.

I don't take them to Duthie because it's (imho) stupid and dangerous to have them in such a compact area. Imagine all of a sudden finding a dog in your landing zone when you're committed. I resent seeing dogs there.
    St. Eddies: depends on time of day and weather (crowds). the vibe there is changing in general; it used to be a great unofficial off-leash spot, less and less so these days...
    Long rides: no. Forcing that on your pet is cruelty.
    Hot weather: see above.
    Tokul, 27, Tiger, G.R., Paradise, Leavy, Galbie... Yes.

Aren't we all out there to have fun? Calm down and enjoy yourselves. Leave the bitterness at home.
    ...if you do, maybe dogs will stop biting you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteNW View Post
    Actually, Formica, I'm not referring to you. I totally respect your apparent self awareness and knowing it, would never bring my dogs on a ride with you. Were we to ever ride together.
    I don't bring the pups along for group rides because it will be mayhem. My boys are good on the trail, but not that good. I take them for exercise, so it's usually just me, or me and a friend. Riding, running, hiking. Dogs need more than stimulation, they need exercise and they LOVE running in the woods as much as me.

It's comments like "Next time I see a dog running up to me when biking it's getting a swift preemptive kick to the head and I'm biking away" that really get my goat (whatever that means). I am prone to defense of my family. My dogs are my family, as much as my wife, kid and my friends. That action would cause major conflict with regrettable results for everyone involved.

I don't take them to Duthie because it's (imho) stupid and dangerous to have them in such a compact area. Imagine all of a sudden finding a dog in your landing zone when you're committed. I resent seeing dogs there.
    St. Eddies: depends on time of day and weather (crowds). the vibe there is changing in general; it used to be a great unofficial off-leash spot, less and less so these days...
    Long rides: no. Forcing that on your pet is cruelty.
    Hot weather: see above.
    Tokul, 27, Tiger, G.R., Paradise, Leavy, Galbie... Yes.

Aren't we all out there to have fun? Calm down and enjoy yourselves. Leave the bitterness at home.
    ...if you do, maybe dogs will stop biting you.
    Agreed.

mtbr member
    Maybe you should quit using cold cuts for shoe liners... What else are you do that is causing dogs to attack you?

You should also be aware of the statement..."Never mind the dog, beware of the owner."
    - Be Someone

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I stand by my statement. I don't give a crap about what you do and where as long as it doesn't affect me. A stupid dog biting on my foot certainly affects me especially when I get out of my way to make sure you and your dog can pass/etc.

Feel free to cause whatever conflict you wish. If your dog makes any attempt to snap or go for any part of my body I will no longer stand there and try to be respectful, I assure you I won't be the one regretting anything.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    i just got a new pup and am hoping to make her a great trail dog. Rule #1-we don't bite riders.

Don't worry, be happy!
    #2 We actually do stay with our owner and do not run with other bikes or get in front of them.
    #3. We have rock solid understanding of voice commands.

EMBA Member
    I agree with Jalm111, keep your dog away from me, family or not. Went on a work party one time where there were a few dogs. 3 of them kept picking on the 4th one, finally resulting in a dog fight. I understand that it really isn't the dog's fault; the owner hasn't trained them well. I would much rather beat the owner about the head and shoulders but it's their dog that is being the pain. If that is being bitter, then I am OK with that. But if your dog is going to behave like that and you are not going to control them, well who's fault is that. Slim

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by EvergreenBryan
    i just got a new pup and am hoping to make her a great trail dog. Rule #1-we don't bite riders.
    #2 We actually do stay with our owner and do not run with other bikes or get in front of them.
    #3. We have rock solid understanding of voice commands.
    Sure- the problem seems to be that a lot owners *imagine* their beloved "trail dogs" behave this way, when in reality they do not. (See Shiggy's post for example)

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jalm111 View Post
    Probably doesn't apply to people here since usually when I run into mountain bikers with dogs they at least have their dogs trained to not bite people.

I pretty much have had it after getting bitten in the leg now for the second time by a hiker's dog this year and I'm only counting the times it drew blood. Next time I see a dog running up to me when biking it's getting a swift pre-emptive kick to the head and I'm biking away. I'm tired of trying to be nice, stopping, getting out of the way etc and still getting bit. Keep your stupid animal in check or don't bring it to the trails...
    Might give this a try then if thats your **** head thought process
    Metta World Peace does Elbow Celebration (Simpsons did it) - YouTube

Going along the line of your **** head thought process I've met a few bad people in my life so I'm going to push everyone over I meet and run away!!
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    How about a compromise? Amazon.com : Guardian Gear Lined Nylon Dog Muzzle, Size 3, 7-Inch Snout, Black : Pet Muzzles : Pet Supplies

If you wanna run your dog off leash and don't want it to get it's head kicked in by me than just put one of those on it. Sounds reasonable to me.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jalm111 View Post
    How about a compromise? Amazon.com : Guardian Gear Lined Nylon Dog Muzzle, Size 3, 7-Inch Snout, Black : Pet Muzzles : Pet Supplies

If you wanna run your dog off leash and don't want it to get it's head kicked in by me than just put one of those on it. Sounds reasonable to me.
    No muzzle will protect you from this dangerous pooch...

Dogs...-img_0350_cartercreekolivelazers.jpg

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0350_CarterCreekOliveLazers.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	910401
    Yikes. I've heard of laser cats before but not laser dogs.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    Beware, the one floppy ear!

Jalmo, you need a bong hit buddy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Jalm111, how about one of these for you:
    http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/image...hacklesafp.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast