Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dogs...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yea it's all fun and games. Does one of you jokers wanna front my $500+ ER visit with stitches bill thanks to a wonderful encounter with a "well" behaved dog?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Admittedly; that sucks. Sorry to hear it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I love dogs, I love other peoples dogs.....I like my own life more. I don't car how nice the owner is, or how impolite the owner is. Follow the rules not, on or off leash. If a dog attacks you, defending yourself is number one priority. Screw any dog that is charging at you.

I don't understand the dog owners in here trying to say the OP is out of line....what is it, the "ride off" comment that is getting under your skin?

To the OP, did you get bit somewhere that dog should have been on a leash?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Plain and simple dogs should never chase a human.... I'm a dog trainer and wouldn't dare bring a dog on a public trail and if I did it would have a shock collar on.... People who think there dogs are trained are just dumb.... I've trained police k9 dogs and I don't trust them around kids.... It's a animal not a human.....

Next time a dog chases you kick it square in the face... Might learn a lesson it's owner didn't teach

mtbr member
    Running from the police doesn't count as "training a police dog".

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jalm111 View Post
    How about a compromise? Amazon.com : Guardian Gear Lined Nylon Dog Muzzle, Size 3, 7-Inch Snout, Black : Pet Muzzles : Pet Supplies

If you wanna run your dog off leash and don't want it to get it's head kicked in by me than just put one of those on it. Sounds reasonable to me.
    Let's hope you and safari man never meet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    There will always be disagreement on this, that is obvious.

I5Troll
    Awesome GeePhroh!! I just sent that one around.

Why the extreme ranting on a public forum? Sh-t happens all the time. Hold the owner accountable. They should pay the bill and that dog shouldn't be allowed back onto a trail without a muzzle. Any grief and file a police report. It sucks but it happens... once in a GREAT while.

A kid once tried to take my wallet so now any time a kid comes close to me I'm going to punch him in the face!!?? Thousands of friendly dogs run up to people because they love people.

My dog is 9 months old and still in training. We keep her behind all riders in our group. That doesn't mean she won't get in the way of someone coming the other way once in a while. We'll keep working on it.

Occasionally I ask my friends and ride buddies for a favor: ride behind her or approach her head on and if she stays in the middle of the trail, whack her out of the way with your front tire. It's harmless, super easy, super effective and they oblige. I was really lucky on our first training ride... Olive passed me then slowed down in front of me... whack! It made a HUGE difference.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by mwestra2 View Post
    Why the extreme ranting on a public forum? Sh-t happens all the time. Hold the owner accountable. They should pay the bill and that dog shouldn't be allowed back onto a trail without a muzzle. Any grief and file a police report. It sucks but it happens... once in a GREAT while.
    Ooh, come on, Mike. Because this is the PNW - Passive Aggressive NorthWest. Why would you want to address the owner (hiker, biker or trail runner) who's dog nips or bites at you when you're actually ON the trail?

It's much easier to have a rant on Facebook or MTBR where the actual issue with said dog won't ever be addressed.

For the record, I love dogs and I own dogs, but I would NEVER hesitate to A. protect myself from an aggressive dog and B. make sure the owner is held accountable for said dog's actions. I would do that on the spot at the scene of the incident - not on an internet forum.

Cheers,
    EB

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I don't know about the PNW being any more passive-aggressive than anywhere else (maybe we should start a thread about that?), but otherwise I think that ebxtreme is spot-on.
    ...and mwestra2. I agree there as well, although I'm a bit intimidated by his laser-dog. Don't make eye contact.

mtbr member
    The PNW is definitely the most Passive-Aggressive place I've ever lived, and I think this is one of the most passive-aggressive threads I've ever seen.
    I ride 3-5 times a week (w/o dog), and have never been bitten by a dog. When the OP is tired of getting bitten by dogs, I have to wonder what he is doing to provoke it?

My buddy has a dog that joins us from time to time. I tend to choice not to take any jumps or drops when he is with us. If it bothered me, I would just choose to ride with a different group.
    - Be Someone

I didn't do it
    I've been jumped on and bitten by dogs at least two times in the past 5 yrs or so. No provocation, no nothin. I get along with dogs, am comfortable with them and love them. So it does happen sometimes and I've let the owners know it in no uncertain terms when it does. So far I've resorted to pushing the dogs off me in these instances but it's BS that it even happens at all.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Fair enough.
    - Be Someone

EMBA Member
    Interesting turn of dialog on this thread. I for one think we should talk about it here on a public forum because people should be encouraged to examine the behavior of their dogs on a regular basis. And I really haven't heard anyone rant. I have heard it discussed in a reasonable tone with just the right amount of smart ass. In the short time that I have been riding MTB I have been charged by dogs twice. And I am not talking about them just running up for a pet because I have had those experiences also. Both times I let the owners know that I was not pleased. I also let the dogs know that I was not pleased, and the owners didn't like that. Some people don't like dogs. Some people are afraid of dogs. And they should not have to have your dog in their personal space. They need to be reasonable about the size of that space that they claim but they should be allowed that space. I am firmly convinced that anyone can do whatever they want as long as they leave other people alone. Just because someone thinks I should have to put up with their dog in my space, does not mean that I have to. I like dogs. I don't currently own one right now because I don't have the time to properly train one but I will be more then happy to pet yours. But bad behavior is bad behavior people or dog. End of Rant. Slim

Rock Gnome
    Dec 2012
    Skid into dogs. But only on a switchback. Seriously. Talk with the dog owner if the dog misbehaves, stop being passive aggressive.

EMBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nickn View Post
    Skid into dogs. But only on a switchback. Seriously. Talk with the dog owner if the dog misbehaves, stop being passive aggressive.
    Roger that. If you are not going to confront the problem, don't just complain. Slim

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    There is no defense of off-leash dogs on the trail. The only mitigation is to get out to a remote and/or unpopulated spot. There is NEVER such a thing as a "good" trail dog. They're all at best bad (and usually dangerous).

A dog bites me on a trail and it will be very bad for both dog and owner. Suggest bear spray or the like. If bitten absolutely go after the owner if but for nothing else to get the owner into the system.

I am That Guy who will be a Jerk First if I see your unleashed go on a leash-only trail - these days that's pretty much only Grand Ridge. And yes, Seattle is BY FAR the worst when it comes to entitlement and passive-aggressiveness, esp. concerning the notion of dogs as people.

mtbr member
    Not sure I understand, what do you mean?
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2