Thread: Dogs

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Dogs

So, where can you ride with a dog? I saw some at Tiger on opening weekend, which surprised me, because I would never bring my guy there, especially when it is that crowded (although I have taken him up to Poo Poo and back on the fire-road in the rain in January when it was empty). I'd never take him to Duthie, and although I have taken him to Grand Ridge, I've since read that this should be avoided...

mtbr member
    May 2013

Re: Dogs

I've gone riding with my dog at Paradise, tokul, anacortes, whidbey, and a few other places.

He's a really friendly dog and follows pretty close. I try to ride with him in places that are not to busy. Never had a problem.

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 2

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    You're not allowed to ride with your dog at Taylor Mountain, but only because the hIssy Alps Folks threw a fit when KC proposed it as an off-leash area.

The horse folks were putting a lot of effort behind that (ever tried to ride a horse with your dog on a leash?!) so if you see them out there, thank them for it.

I haven't made it out there yet but I will eventually.
    Rolland

Last word is all yours...
    Great question, and high-5 to you for bothering to ask! I used to ride with my trail buddy at Tokul, it was a great place for that. I would think Tolt would be decent as well, once you get back up in there.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    East Tiger trails our sigh and sounds rule. So it's cool to have them there. You can do other loops then the main Tiger road and down from the summit. A few creek crossing on the new trails so the four legged friends can grab a drink.
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

mtbr member
    Tokul, cherry valley, moss lake, and Galby are the best places I've found. IMO Tiger is too crowded and rocky, I've seen a few seasoned trail dogs tear their pads there.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I feel fine about taking him to Tokul - it is private land that is definitely not being environmentally protected, and besides that, I'm paying $8 bucks a day to ride there, so I ought to be able to take my dog!

mtbr member
    Lake Padden is neat too if you're up for the drive, the bike trails there are official off leash areas. Not the most exciting riding, but a good place to bring the pooch.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    South SeaTac on the west side of SCORE is a great place to ride with your Pup. It is fenced around 90% of the area and there is never many people during the week. I have met several people out there with dogs off leash and everyone is real cool. Not the biggest most exciting area to ride but still a lot of fun. I always ride with my guys leash in my bag and will sometimes throw him back on his leash and cruise down the paved trail out to the sound with him.

swanny
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by leflerej View Post
    South SeaTac on the west side of SCORE is a great place to ride with your Pup. It is fenced around 90% of the area and there is never many people during the week. I have met several people out there with dogs off leash and everyone is real cool. Not the biggest most exciting area to ride but still a lot of fun. I always ride with my guys leash in my bag and will sometimes throw him back on his leash and cruise down the paved trail out to the sound with him.
    I'll agree with this. Just leash him up if you ride the path like said. To many kids and other dogs on nice days. The dirt trails are never crowded though.

mtbr member
    My dogs love Tiger!

I'm the bad dog owner. I just take them everywhere....either for riding or trail work. I usually am out there at off peak times, though...sometimes.

Rock Gnome
    Dec 2012
    Tiger is the preferred location for my pup although she's been to Tokul. She'll be going elsewhere (back country as appropriate) as she becomes more adept. In some ways I want a little crowd so that she learns to ignore others and stick with me.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I had a BLAST with my pup monday at Tiger (so did she). The lower trails are the perfect length & speed for her, and there's plenty of water. We stopped at all the bridges so she could check underneath, for whatever it is she looks for.

Just a reminder for dog owners though.... PLEASE be careful with your pets around hwy18, or better yet park in the upper lot. Seen too many accidents.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Most people ride PVCA with their dogs offleash, but the park does officially have a leash law. Rangers will ticket you if they catch you which is most likely to happen around the parking lot.

mtbr member
    I saw the rangers at the intersection of two trees and mainline writing tickets for off leash dogs a few months back.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    If you're up North, Japanese Gulch is great. That's where I take my dogs. When I ride Tiger or Tokul, I like leaving them home, mostly because I'd rather not have to worry about where they are. But the Gulch is relatively small and they follow really close. They only go where I go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yes, Grand Ridge and Duthie have leash law; plus, it's just not smart or safe for anyone - too crowded, too fast, and there are horses (on Grand Ridge). Please don't.

It's best to check with the property owner - county property (such as Grand Ridge and Duthie) have leash law. Other properties can be state, federal and private, with who knows what mixture of law/rules. I wouldn't trust the Internet for an off leash ticket is expensive last I heard (~$400).

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Not speaking in an official Evergreen capacity...I like taking mine to all the Black Diamond area trails (Henry's, Summit Ridge, Lake Sawyer, and Tapeworm, Tokul and Tolt for close to town. Tiger is fine except for the gravel road from Preston to NWT - which you no longer have to ride now that Silent Swamp is open. Also Skookum flats and M. Fk Snoqualmie are great backcountry rides along rivers, making them ideal.

For the most part I just stay away from the busy places and the places with leash regulations posted.
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
    sustainable trails. rider powered.

mtbr member
    People

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Had an unfortunate dog event today on Grand Ridge. Most take kindly to a leash law reminder. This particular individual did not, and against my usual demeanor I responded in kind. And by golly about an hour later there all of a sudden BANG POW HORSE (yes, on a sunny weekday at ~5.30 pm on one of the busiest trails in the area). Not sure if the two met but I then felt Not Bad For Being A Jerk To A Jerk.

mtbr member
    Almost got taken down by a dog on the Thrilla route while bombing down heartbreak hill today. Pit mix came tearing out of a yard after me, mean little bugger and the owner didn't even bat an eye. Luckily it's a steep hill and easy to get going pretty fast.

Some people just shouldn't own dogs....
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Did the dog run into the horse? Or did the horse get scared by the dog, sorry I'm just confused by what happened.

EMBA Member
    Passed a horse on Grand Ridge yesterday. Well behaved. The lady told me her horse wasn't scared. I told her I was. She thought that was funny.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by freakybro View Post
    Passed a horse on Grand Ridge yesterday. Well behaved. The lady told me her horse wasn't scared. I told her I was. She thought that was funny.
    Sounds better than the unconcerned 15-year-old girl we met last week riding her horse up Lower Ivan at TKE. Right after the jump past the big stump drop. Yipes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Most people ride PVCA with their dogs offleash, but the park does officially have a leash law. Rangers will ticket you if they catch you which is most likely to happen around the parking lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
    I saw the rangers at the intersection of two trees and mainline writing tickets for off leash dogs a few months back.
    I ride PVCA a couple times a week and never knew there was a leash law. I don't think I have ever seen a dog on a leash up there. Can't say I have ever seen a ranger up their either so maybe I'm just not very observant. I have never had an issue with a dog there and people do a reasonably good job of picking up after their dogs. We do always "joke" while at PVCA that horse owners should have to carry out their pet's poo as well.

I have also seen dogs at the Pilchuck Tree Farm and at St. Eds (Big Finn). Not sure if they are allowed at St. Eds off leash though.