Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Do you love riding Washington singletrack?

Did you know there are more than 500,000 mountain bikers in Washington, but only about 2000 are members of Evergreen?

We're protecting, maintaining, and building new trails statewide - plus doing a whole lot more... But just think what we could do to make Washington a better place to ride if we had 5000, or 10,000 members supporting our work!

And it starts with you.

If you’re a current Evergreen member, THANK YOU! Please help spread the word, share this video, and convince your friends to join (we've found holding their bike ransom to be very convincing ).

If you’re one of the 498,000 who are NOT members, please join!

Membership costs less than 10 cents a day; and there's more benefits than you can shake a stick at (watch the video above for proof - and a giggle or two).

If you haven't joined or renewed, what are you waiting for??? Go here now and support the cause Evergreen MTB - Support Us
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
    sustainable trails. rider powered.

mtbr member
    Evergreenstacy's cute

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    And very animated!
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    May 2004
    And a great rider!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm in the middle ring.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ser jameson View Post
    Evergreenstacy's cute
    Awwww...All you guys and your nice comments are making my day!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Your video captured at least one new (paying) membership. I want to hear about that pulled gluteus maximus of Lisa's though.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    Your video captured at least one new (paying) membership. I want to hear about that pulled gluteus maximus of Lisa's though.
    Yay! Thanks for the support DRSpalding. Yep, that's was quite the impromptu share on Lisa's part, and quite the story. You should ask her about it if you see her.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I belonged to the BBTC 20yrs ago during the fragmented and dysfunctional times. Glad things have greatly improved.

Times have changed with trail building that does not suit my riding style. Leaf blowers are now being used to clean trails. Blows my mind...I have found myself being driven away from Tiger and GR, and gravitating toward my former groups of ponies and dirtbikes and the style of trails I grew up with here in Western Wa.

I do support Evergreens objectives and I understand (with discussions with Dave S.) about "sustainability". Other user groups have a different definition that works better for my riding style. All the best to Evergreen and to your goals!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sven Trials View Post
    I belonged to the BBTC 20yrs ago during the fragmented and dysfunctional times. Glad things have greatly improved.

Times have changed with trail building that does not suit my riding style. Leaf blowers are now being used to clean trails. Blows my mind...I have found myself being driven away from Tiger and GR, and gravitating toward my former groups of ponies and dirtbikes and the style of trails I grew up with here in Western Wa.

I do support Evergreens objectives and I understand (with discussions with Dave S.) about "sustainability". Other user groups have a different definition that works better for my riding style. All the best to Evergreen and to your goals!
    This. I am an admitted luddite, but I see nothing that evergreen does that I would want to support. The top tiger mtn trail is literally the worst trail I have ever ridden. Features for no purpose. It's a trail built for a specific type of riding, which is fine, but I see no effort to build traditional cross country type trails. I also see no effort to access new trails; why can't I ride the trail system on Squak? I would much rather ride existing hiking trails than contrived mtn bike trails.

Leaf blowing and cutting back brush? Really? Its the freakin woods, deal with it. Trail maintenance is really the dumbing down of all the local trails, some good erosion just gives the trails character.

I would love to support an organization that I felt supported mountain biking, but I don't see Evergreen as that organization.

mtbr member

Re: Do you love riding Washington singletrack?

Marketing marketing marketing

Find TV ways to sell memberships also marketable internet. Any search engine companies guys can lend a hand?

How do we get an evergreen sticker inside of a video game scene?

Or the local bank commercials?

"Evergreen free ride, downhill, dirt jumper, all mountain, cross country, backcountry, single speed guy... you're a lot like us..."
    Last edited by paleo; 11-15-2013 at 11:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Glenn and his harem of bike chicks. Nice video guys!!

Sawyer Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by yo_eddy View Post
    I would love to support an organization that I felt supported mountain biking, but I don't see Evergreen as that organization.

Well, they most certainly support mountain biking; what's debatable is whether or not they place resources into your more narrowly defined view of mountain biking.
    Raleigh XXIX

mtbr member

Re: Do you love riding Washington singletrack?

I'm told the well known hiking organization has 12000 members in this state.

So imagine that group's leadership at the nucleus of a 12000 electron atom. This puts their statewide influence at 6x our influence.

At the state and local level these numbers truly matter.

We can squabble about finer points but let's get the membership up and it will take years to see even more opportunities but that is what this thread is really about.

Just roll it......
    Thanks for the reminder....I'll renew mine today.

I'm with Paleo. When I talk to land managers or our local politicians, it's important they know that what we're discussing affects a large number of people. The greater that number is definitely has an effect and helps steer that discussion. There are other ways we help support that as well - stuff like trail counters and surveys.

Also, for the record, I hear the "you're not building the types of trails I like to ride, so I'm not supporting your group" argument in my neck of the woods too. My comment is the folks who are designing and, more importantly, building these trails ultimately get the say. Also, when your working with a land manager, it's in all of our best interest to build a better routed (call it sustainable or whatever you want) and better built trail as a reflection on what we bring to the table.

IMO, the old school folks who are happy to ride poorly routed hiker trails can do that 'til their hearts content....have at it!

Last, while we're not a chapter of Evergreen, the WMBC strongly supports Evergreen's mission and we've received a ton of support from Glenn, JVP and Kennedy over the years.....lots of meetings and solid advice. In fact, Glenn and I probably speak every couple of weeks regarding the DNR and other items and he's also on the WMBC's advisory board.

Support this organization, folks!

Cheers,
    EB

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Perceived user conflict, no critical mass volunteer base for trail work and no organization effectively lobbying for mountain biking is what got us thrown off many trail systems. Len and EB are right on - you don't have to 100% agree with everything Evergreen does but the organization is demonstrating success and garnering the respect of land managers throughout the state and it's the best thing we have going. I support Evergreen and hope more people get on board.

As an aside I just finished leaf blowing out at PVCA. I used to feel the same way about leaf blowing as a couple of the previous posters (that it was stupid) until I started doing a lot of trail work. It was then that I realized an hour of leaf blowing saves about five hours of maintenance on trails that are heavily used in the winter time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    i'm standing by to see how effective you'll be dealing w/ the Banner Forest situation. best of luck to ya
    breezy shade

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Hello, Evergreen?
    I'm calling to cancel my membership. What? It's already expired anyways?
    Well listen, the real reason I called is to complain. Complain about the lack of trails made for ME. My style of riding is the best! Please build something which works my pecs.
    Oh, and all the new trails suck.

K, thanks bye!

Do you love riding Washington singletrack?-6437587-man-sitting-stationary-bike-after-training-talking-mobile-phone.jpg
    (this is the only biker not represented by Evergreen!)

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Love it paleo! We should totally pitch that next time Pemco does a call out for ideas.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    IMO, the old school folks who are happy to ride poorly routed hiker trails can do that 'til their hearts content....have at it!

HAHAHA!!

Good thing the trails I ride are old moto trails such as (Fat hand,Iverson, Trials loop trail) Grand Ridge and Squawk and Taylor and Rattlesnake Mountains.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm hoping that means you're standing by us as supporting member while we work on that issue - or that you're coming out and standing by us at the trail work party out there tomorrow. Because the larger our numbers the easier it becomes to have an impact on decision makers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks EB! Y'all are doing great work up there!!

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    Evergreen is totally kicking butt right now. There is so much good stuff on tap, stuff that's taken 10, even 15 years of grinding work to get to this point. Blood, sweat and tears by many.

I'm VP of the Board of Directors, and I do it because I believe we've got something powerful going on here, and we're unique in the country. Our area has been a politically tough place to build trails, but we're changing that. If we ever let off the pressure, then we'll go right back to the days when we were losing places to ride. Right now we're gaining, and gaining big time.

I can think of 5 new or expanded trail systems in the pipeline off the top of my head, but it'll only happen if Evergreen has the resources to keep the pedal to the metal. Tiger, Tokul/Hancock, #2 Canyon, Raging, Alpine Baldy, Olallie State Park, Mt. Spokane. OK, that's actually 6, and I know there's more. So much good that can happen, but only if we all step up and join so we've got the numbers and the political power. Simple as that.

My stoke level for what Evergreen is doing is at 11, and my knob only goes to 10.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    pEEPLES GONNA HATE.

bRING ON THE FLOW TRAILS!

mtbr member
    Over the last year or two, I've really started to come around to "getting" what Evergreen is about and how much they do out here. I'll admit, when I first moved to Seattle from Chicago, I largely ignored what they were doing.

I had spent time working with another bike group in the Chicago area (CAMBR) to go through proper channels to get some popular singletrack legalized, and only a few months after we thought it was done and sealed and good to go, one day the county there just out of the blue decided to convert the singletrack to an 8 foot wide crushed limestone trail. No notice was given, it just happened and there was nothing we could do about it despite years of being the only user group to actively maintain the trails.

Needless to say, I had pretty much decided going through the proper channels was a waste of time after that, and for me mountain biking became a much more... convert operation. At least to get anything fun to ride. You built it where no one would find it, and that was it.

I guess it also didn't help that I moved out here right around the time that BBTC became Evergreen, and the few people I had met while riding were long time BBTC members not happy about that change and quite vocal about it. So I basically let them do their thing, I continued to do mine.

But it's been hard to ignore the changes that have been happening lately, and how much more fun terrain is around now thanks to Evergreen. Tokul staying legit(ish), Collonade, Duthie, the new summit trail at Tiger was a real eye-opener too. Never expected a high speed flowy trail (with downhill right of way!) at such a popular location!

So I've been a member for a few years now, and donate what I can of my time and money as best I can. Hoping to spend even more time at work parties this winter as well, at least as soon as my shoulder gets better (grrrr).

Having met some of the Evergreen people like Juice and Scott in person (man that Northshore trip was wicked), I realized they're hardcore bikers just like me. Down and dirty mountain bikers who love riding a huge variety of terrain, not just the watered down (sanitized?) trails that often need to be built in order to please land managers and push mtn biking forward in Washington. A few years ago these guys were probably building the same trails that people are lamenting the loss of today.

So yeah, I'm on board now and I hope more people are soon as well. It's a great organization well worth supporting.

(If I had one minor suggestion, the last few weeks have been Evergreen overload in terms of emails, FB posts, all the threads here, and now even on Pinkbike. There's a fine line between getting your message across and beating people over the head with it so often they tune it out.)
    Last edited by Tarekith; 11-15-2013 at 10:15 PM.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast