mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Do you full suspension to ride single track (Henry's Ridge)?

I bought a new Cannondale Flash 3 mountain bike last year, on sale at REI. It's a hardtail, which was perfect since all I have ridden has been pavement and gravel rail to trails.

This winter, I just moved to the subdivision next door to Henry's Ridge in Maple Valley, and am gearing up for singletrack riding this summer.

As long as I don't have roots and logs across the trail, is it viable to use my hardtail bike for this kind of riding? My spouse wouldn't be too happy if I announced that my brand new Cannondale bike wasn't the right one!

Thanks

mtbr member
    I ride my hardtail out at Henry's and Summit Ridge all the time and have just as much fun as I do on my full suspension. Trail riding on a hardtail takes more effort and will build up your skills since you will need to pick good lines instead of relying on you suspension to cover your mistakes.

Get out ride, improve your skills and then decide if you need a full squish or not!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I think youll do fine. I have ridden with quite a few buddys who ride hardtails, even on some rough terrain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hey neighbor (I live in Maple Ridge), gearing up for "single track riding in the summer"? Why not now? Most of us locals ride all year round. Some of the best riding is during the wet season!!

Get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Why do you say some of the best riding is during the wet season?

Only reason not now is it is ski season! Soon, we'll be out of ski season...then I'll take it out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Wet and tacky is the best trail tread. And in the Puget Sound we have wet and tacky from October till July.

But, each season totally changes the ride and feel of the trails. Wet, slippery and slimy to dry, dusty (with loose marbles). It is all good!!

JRA
    mtbr member
    A hardtail will handle roots and logs just fine. Heck, I mostly ride a full rigid (singlespeed at that) on that kind of stuff.

mtbr member
    We rode out there last night in the rain. The trails were in GREAT shape!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Props to the summit ridge builders!

Rode out there yesterday- I hadn't been out there in many years- the summit ridge trails are super fun. Berminator was so good we did like 10 laps of it! Also enjoyed Holly roller.

I'm sure there's tons of other great stuff out there that we didn't stumble across- looking forward to makin' it out there a bunch more this spring.

mtbr member
    Get used to this, it's part of the package when you ride and are married (unless she rides too). I usually take the "safety" angle when buying new equipment. Your results may vary. I also negotiated a blanket, "new frame every two years" deal that has worked out really well. Lastly I'll say this, for some of us the new bike/frame buying window opens and closes really fast. ALWAYS buy when the window is open-- ALWAYS. You don't know when it will open again. You don't.

Quote Originally Posted by cycling_engineer View Post
    My spouse wouldn't be too happy if I announced that my brand new Cannondale bike wasn't the right one!

Thanks
    I'll be along... eventually.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hey FM, you need to ride north across the RR tracks to Henry's Ridge. That will keep you busy for a few hours!! Woo Hoo!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit Ridge Guy View Post
    Hey FM, you need to ride north across the RR tracks to Henry's Ridge. That will keep you busy for a few hours!! Woo Hoo!
    YES! Sounds like a plan for my next ridin' day.

Newbie question: Looks like you can connect from Summit ridge to Henry's ridge?
    Both on the east side of 169?
    Just explore northwards from the top of the "free ride park" area, cross the traintracks?

Thanks for the intel and great trails!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    There are two trails that go North and South. The simplist route is to follow the trail (fire road) at the base of the ridge below ther FRP. We call that Route 66. Follow that north and it is the most direct route to Henrys.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Awesome, thanks again for the intel!

swanny
    May 2012
    Just to confirm what everyone else already said, I too ride a hardtail and ride mostly out in the Black Diamond/Maple Valley area. I've never had one instance where I thought I wanted or needed a full suspension. Now I haven't rode a full suspension either, but ride what you have and enjoy it for a while.

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    Most of us rode hardtails for years. Some of us started out full rigid.

Heck, I suspect at least one of us used to argue that suspension was for newbies and was "dumbing down" the sport!

So ride!

mtbr member
    I think some of the stuff at Henry's is more fun on a 6" bike ,but it is all ridable on even a full rigid.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy