Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

DNR news on the "way" and a little trail report

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Borneo 
#1 ·
News is that the DNR will be operating the Teanaway campgrounds (29 Pines and West Fork) and they are supposedly acquiring with Discovery Passes next year and the 5 year plan is to put new composting toilets in and delineate spaces and start charging like 7 a night. Doesn't bother me that much. Transfer to the state takes effect 10/1/13...

Hiked up to the River Ridge trail today and cleared more post logging debris as much as a one armed trail builder can. Getting there.... The first third of the last long downhill is the worst but still not that bad, considering. Will be back over there to do more next weekend. Could use a few sawyers and maybe an early morning chain saw massacre...

#3 ·
Hey Bob - Might be able to come out on Sunday and help out.

I hiked Jolly on Saturday with my wife and friends. Nice hike, great view at the top and completely deserted except for two forest service guys on motos who were clearing blowdown. These guys were amazing riders, I watched them go up and down technical stuff that I would think twice about taking my MTB up and down. They never spun their wheels once...

#6 ·
Spent another afternoon up there today. The West end through the steep down and up is clear and ready to go. The far east end was still wrapping up and will need some love. The rest of the trail is in amazing shape after the deluge and light storm on Friday night.

#10 ·
No, they are taking anything that big out of there. At the steep down/Steep up. Look right (SE) of the trail on the approach. Sime cool slick rock to rode down there. On the up, I've been walking up along the edge there too and there are 2 options at the top. Stay on the contour and go around under the trees or right and up to the top of the old climb. Thinking the right to left angle on the down then up looks the most promising. Trail is clear and good to go past that point. Next down section is where it gets fuzzy. Some parts I could find were cleared for reference.

#11 ·
(sigh...)

Rode through yesterday to look at reroute options. I think we're on the same page- bagging the chute because it's pretty much trashed, going right, off the slickrock and back into the original line then left along the rock ledge. It actually gives you a better setup for the next down. Thumbs up on the work to-date. Unfortunately...

Natural environment Tree Forest Soil Old-growth forest
Nature Natural environment Plant community Natural landscape Forest
Nature Vegetation Natural environment Plant community Natural landscape

...looks like they're planning on cutting most of the way to the river. The trail follows the ridge crest which also appears to be the northern boundary of the cut. As it is, there are only a few minutes of riding after the last clearcut. I'm glad I've gotten to ride it as much as I have. Couldn't help but say "Goodbye, old friends" to the remaining big hemlocks and pines that have shaded us all these years.

It's time to think more about creating a new line down the ridge than repairing the old one. To just try and connect the remaining sections is going to seem silly. In many places there's no context, the trees that anchored it and gave direction to the flow are (or soon will be) gone. In some spots the trail is a rut in a dirt field. So I'm sad it's gone but we'll be left with kind of a blank slate to make it better than it was. I'm not sure how any of this will dovetail with the YBIP or if I'll even worry about that yet.

#12 ·
Hmmm, didn't see any more ribbon after the part they were logging 2 weekends ago but wouldn't doubt it goes farther down. Good news is that it was already pretty open up there and if we stay on the north shoulder, the sand will not be as bad. Should be back over there in September and may actually try pedalling out that way to take a look see. The section in picture 2 will only take a couple people 30 minutes tops to clear. The branch throwing, even one armed, goes pretty quick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.