mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Devil's Gulch road

I've read the road up to Devil's Gulch is washed out between the junkyard and the traditional trailhead parking area. Is this still the case? And how is the parking at the junkyard intersection? I assume the road up to the top of the DG trail is passable on bicycle?
    Thanks for any info.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It is still impassible and will be for some time (my guess). There is parking for about 20 cars just past the junkyard (don't park in the driveway there) or you can add about 2 miles and park at Sand Creek (go right at the junkyard). You will only have to walk about 100 feet and you'll be past the worst of the washout and then there are about 5 or 6 more places that are washed out above the TH but you can ride through them (assuming you're riding the road up). The trail had one washout that was detoured.

Build More = Ride More
    No parking on access road up to where it is blocked. I was there two weeks ago.

Park a little ways up the road to Sand Creek and ride through the dump.

Also, you can access 7100 from the back side of the mountains from mission ridge. Just take 9712 (i think that's what it is) to 7100 and you can drive all the way down to the trail head at the bottom. I saw guys shuttling this way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Mission Creek Rd. is CLOSED to motorized vehicle traffic. I would not shuttle from the top that way. From the FS home page:

Mission Creek Road #7100 is closed mile beyond Sand Creek Road #7104 to the lower Devils Gulch trailhead due to flood damage.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    There is another trail head if you take a right at the junk yard. It is the Red Hill Trail Head. There is a connector trail that drops you onto the DG trail about 1/4 mile from the DG TH. You can also ride up the Red Hill trail and it will climb up to the Tronson Ridge trail on the right. Continue Left on Red Hill and it will drop you onto the DG trail also about 2 miles from TH. If you want an epic you can turn right onto Tronson. It takes you further up the road from the top of DG. I have rode this both ways. Tough either way.
    Keep the round sides down

RP

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by YoPawn
    No parking on access road up to where it is blocked. I was there two weeks ago.

Park a little ways up the road to Sand Creek and ride through the dump.

Also, you can access 7100 from the back side of the mountains from mission ridge. Just take 9712 (i think that's what it is) to 7100 and you can drive all the way down to the trail head at the bottom. I saw guys shuttling this way.
    When I was there in July the road was closed at the top, too. Gated and locked. There are many sand washes and deep runoff ruts that would require a high clearance 4WD to get through. Would be faster to ride.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    When I was there in July the road was closed at the top, too. Gated and locked. There are many sand washes and deep runoff ruts that would require a high clearance 4WD to get through. Would be faster to ride.
    I agree. I was just stating that I saw people going down the back side. Sounds like a waste of time. Those sand washes are hell to bike through! My bike walks like a crab in it.

Now that I think of it though. I also remember there being no motorized vehicle signs there. It's Eastern Washington though. People don't care. I saw TONS of motor cycles and offroad jeeps running up and down 7100.

It must be nice having the road washed out. Would not have been as fun riding up to the top if there were tons of people shuttling. The trail was in mint condition too! The ride up is so easy I can't imagine why anyone would even want to shuttle it. Never rode there before a couple weeks ago, so I don't know how bad it was. Had the trail to myself all the way down. Next time I want to explorer out at Beehive before heading back down. Didn't have enough water last time to waste extra energy.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    If you park at Sand Creek TH then you can ride the Red-Devil trail over to the bottom of Devils Gulch. Red-Devil is about 5miles and 1000' of elevation, and is a fun trail on it's own.

When we did the ride a month ago, we rode out Red-Devil, up and down DG, then back on the road to the Sand Cr TH. Lot's of cars parked at the top of DG...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You can reach the lower devil's gulch trail head by car via No. 2 Canyon Rd out of Wenatchee, but really not worth it as the gate is likely still closed up top and shuttling wouldn't be an option. Sand creek trail head is the way to go if your looking for an out and back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

No 2 Canyon

Last time I was there the gate at the bottom where No 2 Canyon meets 7100 was also closed. Long way to drive to have to turn around...someone earlier wrote that "It's Eastern Washington though. People don't care (if you drive on closed roads)."

You're wrong. The road is closed for a reason. Please respect it. I care.

Not trying to start a fight...just giving my $.02. Keeping things on the up-and-up will help things in the long run but further tearing up the road probably won't.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rbwen
    Last time I was there the gate at the bottom where No 2 Canyon meets 7100 was also closed. Long way to drive to have to turn around...someone earlier wrote that "It's Eastern Washington though. People don't care (if you drive on closed roads)."

You're wrong. The road is closed for a reason. Please respect it. I care.

Not trying to start a fight...just giving my $.02. Keeping things on the up-and-up will help things in the long run but further tearing up the road probably won't.

Don't know when you were there last, but I rode from the lower trail head back to town via 7100 to Peavine to No. 2 on labor day and was surprised to see all the gates open. Maybe it was a temporary thing as it looked like someone had been in their fixing a lot of the smaller washouts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    We rode Twin Peaks that same weekend and there was a large cavalcade of work vehicles and dirt movers coming down No 2 toward town when we were headed up. Could be they were doing their work then and needed the gates open.