Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Devils Gulch/Red Hill/Mission Ridge/Tronsen Ridge/Naneum/Haney Meadow

Hi all, I wanted to post a thread to collect trail beta regarding the areas hit hard by the fires late last summer from Table Mt. north to Tronsen and east to Mission Ridge. I really like the area for hiking and biking due to the open Ponderosa Pine forest nature of a good portion of it but realized quite some time ago that the spruce growth with lots of dry fuels on the forest floor would make it go "poof!" someday. I had hoped it wouldn't happen so fiercely and within my life, but so it goes.

Anyway, any info from last fall or winter from XC skiing, snowshoeing, and snow machine trips about the area would be good to have, as well as more recent info as we can make it higher into the hills would be great.

From my recollection, the area just north of Mission Ridge Ski Area (Beehive, Devils Spur) was not burned, correct? How about the upper DG trail head on FSR #9712 to the DG/MR 4-way intersection? The upper Mission Ridge trail and trail head from #9712?

For reference, here is the last fire closure map of the Wenatchee complex from 29 October 2012:
    http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/photos/WAOWF...-131203-0.jpeg

And the Table Mt. fire from 3 October 2012:
    http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/photos/WAOWF...-194250-0.jpeg

And the one that sums it up by putting a nice line around the whole thing:
    http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/photos/WAOWF...-084620-1.jpeg
    Last edited by DRSpalding; 04-19-2013 at 12:35 PM.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

Slothful dirt hippie
    I saw a bunch of pics of the XC ski trails up to Haney this winter... jackpot of trees down everywhere, and even holes in the ground where stumps had quietly burned away. Sounds like they got it pretty well sawed out for the ski season, but I'm thinking there's going to be trees coming down for the next couple years though the burn area.

I'd also heard somewhere that tree-and-tread work had been done in the Devil's Gulch area before winter, so *hopefully* that's a leg-up on what could be expected for there.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    DR, I'm going to crosspost this in our Wenatchee Outdoors Forum and I'll repost here if we get anything pertinent

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rbwen View Post
    DR, I'm going to crosspost this in our Wenatchee Outdoors Forum and I'll repost here if we get anything pertinent
    Thanks, rb.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Look on snowest.com Washington section. I remember a post or two there early in the season about sled access skiing the burn areas. Sorry but I don't remember the posters name. It looked awesome in winter but they said the soot covered everything clothes etc

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'm clearly bored. Here's the post I remember.

Blewett Last weekend. - SnoWest Snowmobile Forum

Yes, snowmobiling is as much actually more fun than it looks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    I heard that there will be a lot of hazard trees in the area. I'm not sure if they'll open the trails before the hazards are removed from near the trails, but I did hear that there is federal emergency money available to get crews in and take care of the dangerous trees.

I'm really eager to get up there and see what it looks like. My bro-in-law did some xc ski race up there in Feb and said it's patchy. Some areas had no fire, others were totally torched with all trees burned (stand replacement fire), and others the larger trees survived.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I took a skim over the slideshow on my phone while into three glasses of wine last night. I could be wrong, but I was heartened by it in that it does appear patchy and not as bad in most spots as I feared.

Quote Originally Posted by juice View Post
    I heard that there will be a lot of hazard trees in the area. I'm not sure if they'll open the trails before the hazards are removed from near the trails, but I did hear that there is federal emergency money available to get crews in and take care of the dangerous trees.

I'm really eager to get up there and see what it looks like. My bro-in-law did some xc ski race up there in Feb and said it's patchy. Some areas had no fire, others were totally torched with all trees burned (stand replacement fire), and others the larger trees survived.
    Yep, dangerous trees will plague areas like Devils Gulch at the bottom of the canyon from trees and rocks 100's or even 1000's of feet above the trail. It's going to be dicey there if there is lots of damage above on the canyon walls. Mission Ridge and Tronsen Ridge can probably be made safer more quickly.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    That slideshow was excellent!!! Here's a direct link to it:
    http://www.justgetout.net/ClientFile...1-13_FINAL.pdf
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Slop posted some info in this thread about Table Mountain, a bit south of Haney Meadows, but welcome info anyway.

Table Mtn fire damage report
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Current information from the WenatcheeOutdoorsForum

there are about 50 trees across the trail to the cross over with Mission Ridge. Only a few are large, but you still can through a bike over them or get around. Tread was good all the way, just a number of small rocks lying in the tract. All 3 creek crossing are possible on logs and water is low. What normally takes 1.75 hours to ride became 2.25 hours.

We stopped and cleared trail of small wood and large rock so or fiscal time was 4.75 hours. Continued up Upper Devils to the road. That section there is about 35 more trees, mostly before the old clear-cut. Again tread was in good shape.

Goal was to come back down Lower Mission but we figured there would be even more trees down and the going would be slow.
    Some of the burn areas are very interesting. Look for mushrooms and a verity of flowers
    Ed & Harlen

mtbr member

Re: Devils Gulch/Red Hill/Mission Ridge/Tronsen Ridge/Naneum/Haney Meadow

{Len: can readers assume we begin your story with up Devils are 50 trees across the trail to the mission ridge x-over...?}

Quote Originally Posted by rbwen View Post
    ... there are about 50 trees across the trail to the cross over with Mission Ridge. Only a few are large, ...but you still can ... get around. ... All 3 creek crossing are possible on logs and water is low. What normally takes 1.75 hours to ride became 2.25 hours.

....Upper Devils to the road. That section there is about 35 more trees, mostly before the old clear-cut....

Goal was ... back down Lower Mission but we figured there would be even more trees down ....
    Some of the burn areas are very interesting. Look for mushrooms and a variety of flowers
    Ed & Harlen

Timely and much appreciated report.

Thanks out loud for your efforts to document and report and "make way".

Now our options are wait for motorcycle sawyers or some of all-you-all need to get on the freight train with the MTB Buckers Brotherhood and drop in some usfs certified saws from the nearest entrances.

We west side slickers know you folks have talent...

All kidding aside you've given every one in this list very useful info and I as just one of a few good men with 3 weekends so far helping in the clearing effort over here on hwy 410 trails appreciate your data.

bro not pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Len.Francies View Post

All kidding aside you've given every one in this list very useful info and I as just one of a few good men with 3 weekends so far helping in the clearing effort over here on hwy 410 trails appreciate your data.
    Hey Len ... 3 day weekend - perhaps we should trek on over with our bars
    G O N Z

mtbr member

Re: Devils Gulch/Red Hill/Mission Ridge/Tronsen Ridge/Naneum/Haney Mea

I got lucky last year riding DG what was probably next weekend which was just after the motos had cleared it and Buckhorn had given us enough data to think they were on it so fingers crossed the motos clear this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I hope so. I'm heading over to Leavenworth this weekend and could use a dose of DG/MR. I'll check in with James at Das Rad Haus for an update on Saturday or Sunday. Failing that, I'll probably just go up and see what I see.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    I hope so. I'm heading over to Leavenworth this weekend and could use a dose of DG/MR. I'll check in with James at Das Rad Haus for an update on Saturday or Sunday. Failing that, I'll probably just go up and see what I see.
    Devils Gulch, Mission Ridge and Red Hill Spur trails are officially closed due to the fire damage
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/okawen...telprdb5414524
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Devils Gulch, Mission Ridge and Red Hill Spur trails are officially closed due to the fire damage
    Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest - Alerts & Notices
    I hope that info is out of date. I'll call the ranger station on Friday to find out for certain.

Also of note is that the FS site says that the road (7100, Mission Creek Rd) is closed just past the Sand Creek Road intersection. That leaves a couple of miles of road before the Lower DG trailhead as well as making one park near the junkyard, which I probably wouldn't do in any case.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    I hope that info is out of date. I'll call the ranger station on Friday to find out for certain.

Also of note is that the FS site says that the road (7100, Mission Creek Rd) is closed just past the Sand Creek Road intersection. That leaves a couple of miles of road before the Lower DG trailhead as well as making one park near the junkyard, which I probably wouldn't do in any case.
    I doubt it is. They will not open the fire areas until the snag hazards are addressed. Reportedly there are many. Public safety issue.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm wondering if the upper loop is open, i.e. free of fire damage/snag/rock hazards. From what I can tell, that area of 9712, Upper Mission Ridge and Upper Devils Gulch would make a nice ride in its own right and wasn't in the burned area according to the maps I perused a while back.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    IN the greater Plain area, the winter snows were bad. Snow knock down is huge. I'll be on stuff this weekend while attempting to keep away from family, Selma and Patty, coming up. Plan to visit white pine, chikimin, chiwawa, minnow is probably under still, round mtn, greater Natipok.

mtbr member

Re: Devils Gulch/Red Hill/Mission Ridge/Tronsen Ridge/Naneum/Haney Meadow

Thanks Shiggy for reality check.

Since I opened my big mouth I called Leavenworth USFS office and they are telling people "its impassable". They have a crew to buck it but its been very wet and they are not scheduled to work until things dry up a little.

I was talking to the public facing not the trail manager but from info and my own deadlines I determined to defer on offering to butt in.

She did say "goose creek and lower chiwawa" were open.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I read a report that someone wrote recently after riding DG from the bottom up. It said there were like 50 blowdowns between the first river crossing and the intersection of DG and MR, then like 35 more from that intersection to the top of DG. I can't believe someone actually made it through all that crap. I would have turned around after about 10 blowdowns.

Last weekend I rode up Mission Creek Rd. to check out the fire damage. It looked really spotty, in places it burned the ground and left the trees, but in other places it looks like it got hot and killed everything.

We've had lots of rain (for the dry side) lately, and Sage Hills should be perfect this weekend. Also, if Red Hill and Red Devil dry out that is a fun loop that is clear of blowdowns.

I rode Mad River Trail from Pine Flats to within 2 miles of Maverick Saddle two weekends ago. Some blowdowns, but not too bad. It's a fun trail that hopefully the motos have finished clearing by now. Lots of rocks though, I only ride it on my FS with tough sidewalls.

Not much singletrack other than that to ride around here yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hey, buckhorn, are you staying in the Wenatchee Valley area this weekend? I'll be over in Leavenworth and am looking for a ride Sunday. I may stay close to Leavenworth but if the weather is good, I would like to try Sage Hills too. Thoughts?
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast