Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Devil's Gulch

NW MTBER

Devil's Gulch

Wondering if anyone has ridden the Devil's Gulch from the bottom to the top where it meets the road? Thanks!
    Ibis Mojo HDR 650b
    Ibis Mojo SL
    Maverick Durance

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yes. On the trail two weeks ago.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

NW MTBER
    Cool. How was the bottom creek crossing? Trail condition? Blowdowns? Thanks again!
    Ibis Mojo HDR 650b
    Ibis Mojo SL
    Maverick Durance

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    There are now five major crossings, three of Mission Creek and two side canyons from the west. The upper four of them are pretty well blown out from what I recall last year. Surprisingly however, perhaps due to higher water, they are all relatively easy and feet dry fordings (two weeks ago) by foot. None of them are really crossable on bikes w/o power, at least for me. The two most blown out have significant and rough new trail built to make it across which are, well, quite rough. The first crossing up from the lower trail head is the one most unchanged, but still obviously a bit more scoured that last year.

We're doing DG again this Saturday, but going up the road this time.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

NW MTBER
    Thanks for the Intel!
    Ibis Mojo HDR 650b
    Ibis Mojo SL
    Maverick Durance

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I rode up Devils gulch to the saddle, and descended mission ridge last friday. It was awesome! things have changed a bunch since the table mountain fire... different sightlines & understory, stream crossings are different, but not a big deal.

Motos have torn a big ditch climbing straight up mission ridge- just make sure to stay on the original trail if descending.

100% fun

Milepost 111 brewery in cashmere is a very welcome addition!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm a fan of the BBQ place in Cashmere, Country Boys BBQ, but no alcohol there and not open on Sundays. Maybe get the BBQ and head to the brewery?
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Devil's Gulch

Quote Originally Posted by stempson@mac.com View Post
    Thanks for the Intel!
    Be aware that the stream crossings change constantly and can be totally different from day to day.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I rode up the "road" (lower section isn't much of a road any more), and down DG last Saturday, May 31, and was surprised at how good conditions were.

Creek crossings? Sure, this is a mountain bike ride! ...just as many water crossings on the ride up the road as there are on the trail down. There was a significant, and apparently new, trail re-route at one of the bigger crossings of Mission Creek near the bottom of the descent. As noted above, you can typically cross with dry feet. Overall, the creek crossings are a complete Non-Issue.

The motos are doing a good job of knocking the baby-head rocks out of the trail on the lower half.

The trail, the trail, the trail!... ...it is well worth riding. Go soon before it gets too dry and loose and dusty.

Devil's Gulch

**NOTICE**
    There is a trail run on the Red Hill/Red Devil loop this Sunday. The lower part of Devils Gulch is used for the race. Start/finish is at Sand Creek CG.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    **NOTICE**
    There is a trail run on the Red Hill/Red Devil loop this Sunday. The lower part of Devils Gulch is used for the race. Start/finish is at Sand Creek CG.
    Shiggy, any idea when the race starts/ends? Typically these running events start pretty early, so I'm hoping this is a non-issue for someone driving in from Seattle on Sunday morning (= won't hit the lower DG until mid-afternoon).

NW MTBER
    Are you thinking that it can't be ridden then on Sunday morning? We always ride up the DG trail from the bottom lot and hoping to that on Sunday if possible. As I recall that is a very short segment of trail that you would need to get past to get on the DG trail proper. Probably would get there around 10. Anyone know if it is it a big race? Thanks.
    Ibis Mojo HDR 650b
    Ibis Mojo SL
    Maverick Durance

Devil's Gulch

Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    Shiggy, any idea when the race starts/ends? Typically these running events start pretty early, so I'm hoping this is a non-issue for someone driving in from Seattle on Sunday morning (= won't hit the lower DG until mid-afternoon).
    9:00 am start.
    Just be aware and careful.
    mtbtires.com

Devil's Gulch

Quote Originally Posted by stempson@mac.com View Post
    Are you thinking that it can't be ridden then on Sunday morning? We always ride up the DG trail from the bottom lot and hoping to that on Sunday if possible. As I recall that is a very short segment of trail that you would need to get past to get on the DG trail proper. Probably would get there around 10. Anyone know if it is it a big race? Thanks.
    The segment is on "DG trail proper". You would be on it in the thick of the runners.
    No idea how many are entered in the 25K. It is a popular race series.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Haven't seen much intel about Upper Mission Ridge this year, anybody been up there yet?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Good to go.

mtbr member
    I hope to get out there tomorrow. Plan to go up Devils Gulch and continue to top of Mission Ridge trail then back down M.R. to D.G. Hopefully it won't lay me to waste......will report back.

mtbr member
    Rad
    Playing Chase by imalwaysriding, on Flickr

builder
    Feb 2009
    Riding Devil's Spur, Upper Mission, Upper Devil's back to Devil's Spur; after work on Thursday. Will post report for the weekend. It should be prime right now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I don't know if you are aware of this or not, but Devils Spur has been "Freund-ified", i.e. the roadbed reconverted to road for logging purposes. I'm not sure which section, but somewhere along these parts here is a photo of it.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Got out Sunday and rode up Devils and pushed/pedaled just shy of the top of upper Mission Ridge. I had not ridden D.G. since well before the fire and as FM mentioned it's pretty dramatic how much things have changed up there. A lot of the creek crossings are really blown out and parts of the trail look like they are barely hanging on. Still an awesome area, just different now. And thanks to the F.S. and volunteers who keep these trails running...
    Anyhow, last fall I tried doing Mission top to bottom via the road but hit snow near entrance to D.G. so wound up taking it to M.R. crossing. A big section at the beginning is now doubletrack (maybe to help fight the fire) and its lots of up and down all the way to the junction with M.R. so I knew I wanted to revisit upper M.R. as it's mostly downhill and combine that with lower D.G. for the best of both worlds. Also I avoided the road this time and did not regret that. D.G. is mostly moderate grade and is way more direct than the road.
    So 20+ miles and 4+ hours later I reached the bottom, tired but content. This is the time to get out there, the dirt is good and the snow is gone.

mtbr member
    Do you know roughly how much elevation you gained on that ride?
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The full figure 8 elevation gain is about 5K I think. It is slightly less if you use DG as the downhill rather than MR. Using DG to go up to the upper DG trailhead is about 12 miles and the road (closed FSR 7100 to FSR 9712) is 11 miles and quite lovely for a road-ish ride. There's no cars on it until you get to the top so it is nice and quiet and no dust except what you stir up.

The upper part of DG is the sweetest trail IMO. It works well in both directions but is awesome from the upper DG trailhead to the DG/MR 4-way at the saddle, 3.2 miles away. As for the double-track at the beginning of the upper DG trail, that was like that before the fire too. How long ago did you ride it, Scott?
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    i was thinking i may get out and try it this weekend. prob do road climb to mission ridge down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mrosey View Post
    i was thinking i may get out and try it this weekend. prob do road climb to mission ridge down.
    If I end up over in Leavenworth this weekend, I may be there too. Care if I tag along if it works out? I'm old, not too fast on the uphill but dogged.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast