Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Devil's Gulch

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    FYI, here is the thread with the pictures of the work being done to destroy the Devil's Spur trail:
    Devils Spur Trail
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    The upper part of DG is the sweetest trail IMO. It works well in both directions but is awesome from the upper DG trailhead to the DG/MR 4-way at the saddle, 3.2 miles away. As for the double-track at the beginning of the upper DG trail, that was like that before the fire too. How long ago did you ride it, Scott?[/QUOTE]

Well I'm not gonna get specific on the date but lets just say it was pre-disc brakes.
    Whatever the case I still think upper M.R. is far superior to upper D.G. but to each their own, eh?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    If I end up over in Leavenworth this weekend, I may be there too. Care if I tag along if it works out? I'm old, not too fast on the uphill but dogged.
    sure i dont mind. im not 100% that im going to go out there but, i prob will for something to do lol

mtbr member
    Last time I did DG we parked at red hill trailhead, on the way back we were running late so we took the road from DG to the car, we came to an old trailer and found are selves in the middle of about 100 dogs. Are they still there?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scotteric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by drspalding
    The upper part of DG is the sweetest trail IMO. It works well in both directions but is awesome from the upper DG trailhead to the DG/MR 4-way at the saddle, 3.2 miles away. As for the double-track at the beginning of the upper DG trail, that was like that before the fire too. How long ago did you ride it, Scott?
    Well I'm not gonna get specific on the date but lets just say it was pre-disc brakes.
    Whatever the case I still think upper M.R. is far superior to upper D.G. but to each their own, eh?
    I am a relative newbie for the upper trails, so I don't know what that upper DG trail was like pre-2011. But yes to each their own! I enjoy both of them, but I'll only do one of the upper parts twice in one trip!
    Techy and 50% rock vs. flow and practically no rock. That's the choice, beyond the 800' gut wrenching climb after just getting to the upper DG trailhead w/o shuttling!
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kliemann53 View Post
    Last time I did DG we parked at red hill trailhead, on the way back we were running late so we took the road from DG to the car, we came to an old trailer and found are selves in the middle of about 100 dogs. Are they still there?
    Oh yeah. That still is there, that nice little bit of a tornado-stricken trailer park junk yard. The dog population seems to be down though. I think the owner did county time for animal cruelty at some point.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
    Do you know roughly how much elevation you gained on that ride?
    I don't have a fancy watch or anything like that but according to some of the guide books (Mountain Bike! NW WA. by John Zilly) it's 4,020 foot gain. It definitely felt like 4,000 feet!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Re: Devil's Gulch

Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    FYI, here is the thread with the pictures of the work being done to destroy the Devil's Spur trail:
    Devils Spur Trail
    Devils Spur is fine. Only the bottom 200 meters has been touched. And the lower half+ has always been a road.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Devils Spur is fine. Only the bottom 200 meters has been touched. And the lower half+ has always been a road.
    Thanks for the actual info on the trail, shiggy. That's very helpful. I was aware that the lower part was all on old roadbed of some sort.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    well ill be there tomorrow afternoon taking my sweet time on the road climb, and having fun on the way back down. just hoping it will be a good ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mrosey View Post
    well ill be there tomorrow afternoon taking my sweet time on the road climb, and having fun on the way back down. just hoping it will be a good ride.
    My plans changed, so I won't be over there this weekend. Besides, I've been sick most of the week and haven't ridden in 10 days, so I would be a sucky riding partner going up anyway. Have fun!
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

Re: Devil's Gulch

A little after work ride last night w/dirt pirate and the bike doc. Devils Spur/upper Mission Ridge/Devils Gulch.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    I have but the last time was 1999. What do you want to know
    "It looks flexy"

I rode the entire length of Devils Gulch today (from home in East Wenatchee), for the first time since the fires.

The trail is pretty much as I remember it.

The creek crossings are rough, but no more so than they have been at times over the past 15-20 years.

A few short spots are sloughing off, and some of the narrow exposures have too fast moto/DH blowouts. Again little different than any other year.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I rode the entire length of Devils Gulch today (from home in East Wenatchee)...
    Roughly translated for those not Strava stalking Shiggy...means he did a 65 mile mtb ride yesterday. :-)

Thanks for the TR. I'm hoping to ride it one of these days.

Cheers,
    Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2