Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Devil's Conditions?

I know this is probably a dumb question, but has anyone been up near Devil's Gulch/Red Hill yet? Conditions?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    the top of DG is about the same elevation as Midway at Mission Ridge. Here's a webcam from Midway.

My guess is that you'd be able to ride partway up Red Hill but hit snow before the saddle (just guessing based on other trails in the area) and you'd probably get shut down about 3/4 of the way up DG road.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    That's about what I expected. I'm sure the creek crossings aren't ideal either. But I'm going to be in the area & was trying to be optimistic. : )

I guess it will have to wait until July.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    go do Sage Hills and Stairway to Heaven/Twin Peaks. Snow free and rockin right now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Red Devil was nice on Sunday.
    I think Red Hill is snow free, but might be muddy a little ways up from DG.

builder
    Feb 2009
    As of last night (5-1-12) Devil's Spur still had some major snow patches and was otherwise pretty wet and muddy. Lots of snow up higher, but melting. The gate at the bottom of the Liberty / Beehive Road is open with lots of fisherman traffic, but I haven't been up there to check it out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the responses.

Is Stairway/Twin Peaks connected to the top of Sage Hills? From the Horselake TH?

I've only ridden the lower part of SH - which rocks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The easiest way to ride Stairway is to drive (or ride about five miles of road) to the top of Number Two Canyon. You can park where the paved road ends and ride 0.75 miles to the TH or if you have high clearance you can drive that stretch to the closed gate and park there. You can ride from Horse Lake TH or Sage Hills but you're going to put in about 1.5 hours of climbing to get up and over Twin Peaks just to get to the TOP of Stairway, then ride down, back up. That'd be a big day. They are all connected via single and double track but the most straightforward way is to go up Number Two Canyon.

builder
    Feb 2009
    I haven't been up to Stairway yet this spring, but I heard that it is primo right now. I rode the Homestead Loop up Sage last week and that is in great condition as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    no snow at all on Stairway and all the way to the top of Twin Peaks

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Liberty Beehive road is clear of snow at least to the upper Squilchuck trail/ Devil's Spur junction. Saw the snow on Devil's spur, but I think Squilchuck trail would be rideable since it faces the south.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Their website seems to be down. Staring out my window I can tell there's still a decent amount of snow up there. You probably won't be able to ride to the top of the TH yet.

mtbr member
    I can't get to the webcam link. Can someone please provide a brief description of what the link shows? Is it something like 5 feet of snow or?? Thank you
    Obama - a recipe for a third world America.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the tips on Stairway. We didn't have time for the whole loop with SH, but we rode Stairway/Road Rage/Waterworks/etc. on Friday & they were in primo condition with wildflowers blooming. That's shaping up to be a nice little network of trails!

mtbr member
    The link works now. But in case it is offline later this week this image might help people get an idea.

Obama - a recipe for a third world America.

I just wanna ride my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by RTsian View Post
    ...we rode Stairway/Road Rage/Waterworks/etc. on Friday & they were in primo condition with wildflowers blooming. That's shaping up to be a nice little network of trails!
    Are these trails connected to do one loop or are they each a loop on to themselves? Are the trails signed? I'll be in the Wenatchee area in a week and half with a group; Stairway was recommended to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    They are connected but there are zero trail signs. Look on wenatcheeoutdoors.org for map, etc. I have GPS reports for all the rides in the area too. PM if interested

Quote Originally Posted by rbwen View Post
    The easiest way to ride Stairway is to drive (or ride about five miles of road) to the top of Number Two Canyon. You can park where the paved road ends and ride 0.75 miles to the TH or if you have high clearance you can drive that stretch to the closed gate and park there. You can ride from Horse Lake TH or Sage Hills but you're going to put in about 1.5 hours of climbing to get up and over Twin Peaks just to get to the TOP of Stairway, then ride down, back up. That'd be a big day. They are all connected via single and double track but the most straightforward way is to go up Number Two Canyon.
    Hmm, this could be done as a shuttle then, i.e. leave one vehicle at bottom of Sage Hills, park at Number Two Canyon, ride up Stairway to Twin Peaks and then down Sage (or vice versa) Hills

endlesswinter
    Jun 2009
    (First time poster & new part-time dry-sider) I rode Twin Peaks for the first time on Saturday and had a blast on Stairway. I rode up the singletrack and then turned right & continued climbing the road to the top of the mountain. Iím trying to figure out where Road Rage & Waterslide were in relation to my ride (GPS Summary below). I was using the WenatcheeOutdoors map as a guide which doesnít appear to have Waterslide at all and has Road Rage as a dot. Anyone willing to enlighten me w/ some trail intel Ė doesnít seem like the area is too much a secret but the forum wonít allow me to PM rbwen.

Also- as I climbed stairway I was tempted by some singletrack, which I think was Suspended in
    Paradise. I remember reading last year that someone had destroyed that trail Ė is that true? Still looked rideable from the 100 yards of trail I could see, but resisted the temptation.

Lastly- any suggestions or opinions of the trails not named on the Wenatchee map? Iím assuming waterbar world is not waterslide?

connect.garmin.com/activity/175656114

Quote Originally Posted by buckhorn View Post
    Red Devil was nice on Sunday.
    I think Red Hill is snow free, but might be muddy a little ways up from DG.
    I see on the WenatcheeOutdoors map that Red Hill and Red Devil can be ridden as a loop. Which direction is recommended, i.e. clockwise or counter-clockwise? I prefer getting the bigger climb out of the way first

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Waterbar World- used to be a good trail, but it is no longer any fun. It is rutted out, and I stopped riding it. Motorcycles continue to tear it up, so I think the chances of it getting better is zero.

Waterslide- Once you get to the top of Stairway, you exit onto a dirt road, which goes for a few hundred yards and connects to the main No. 2 Canyon Rd. From this junction (also the point where Road Rage ends) go up No. 2 Canyon road about 100 yards. Look closely because it easy to miss! Waterslide starts on the left side of the road. It is a short trail, but someone has been building some fun stuff. Waterslide top to bottom is probably less than a 5 minute descent.

Road Rage- Continue climbing #2 Canyon road toward the summit of Twin Peaks. Near the summit, there is a sharp left turn. There are quite a few trees and shrubs on the right side of the turn, but you will see the singletrack in the middle of all the vegetation. Road Rage is fun too, lots of slower tighter corners. I rode it a few years ago when it was new, and didn't care for it, but it has gotten much better over time, and is really fun.

Problem with all of the Twin Peaks area trails is they are short, and unless you connect over to Sage Hills, you can ride everything in 90 minutes, and either repeat stuff, or go home. Today I parked at the end of the pavement, rode up Stairway, up to the summit of Twin Peaks, down to Road Rage, down Waterslide, back up to Stairway, down Stairway, back to the truck, and total ride time was like 85 minutes. That was all the time I had, so it was fine. But, if I was planning a weekend out of it I would ride Sage in the morning when it is cooler (NO shade in Sage Hills), and then Twin Peaks area in the afternoon when it was warmer (Lots of shade, and higher elevation so it is cooler).

Hoping to ride Devil's Gulch next weekend (5/19-20). I think it will be all melted out by then, and hopefully the motos will have already been through with the chainsaws clearing the trees.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by TheotherH View Post
    I see on the WenatcheeOutdoors map that Red Hill and Red Devil can be ridden as a loop. Which direction is recommended, i.e. clockwise or counter-clockwise? I prefer getting the bigger climb out of the way first
    Counterclockwise. You can park at Sand Creek or the lower Devils Gulch trailhead. Both will end with a fun downhill. The latter will give you a better warmup before the long climb up Red Hill.

The descent to Devils Gulch on Red Hill Spur is one of my favorites.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Waterbar World- used to be a good trail, but it is no longer any fun. It is rutted out, and I stopped riding it. Motorcycles continue to tear it up, so I think the chances of it getting better is zero.

Waterslide- Once you get to the top of Stairway, you exit onto a dirt road, which goes for a few hundred yards and connects to the main No. 2 Canyon Rd. From this junction (also the point where Road Rage ends) go up No. 2 Canyon road about 100 yards. Look closely because it easy to miss! Waterslide starts on the left side of the road. It is a short trail, but someone has been building some fun stuff. Waterslide top to bottom is probably less than a 5 minute descent.

Road Rage- Continue climbing #2 Canyon road toward the summit of Twin Peaks. Near the summit, there is a sharp left turn. There are quite a few trees and shrubs on the right side of the turn, but you will see the singletrack in the middle of all the vegetation. Road Rage is fun too, lots of slower tighter corners. I rode it a few years ago when it was new, and didn't care for it, but it has gotten much better over time, and is really fun.

Problem with all of the Twin Peaks area trails is they are short, and unless you connect over to Sage Hills, you can ride everything in 90 minutes, and either repeat stuff, or go home. Today I parked at the end of the pavement, rode up Stairway, up to the summit of Twin Peaks, down to Road Rage, down Waterslide, back up to Stairway, down Stairway, back to the truck, and total ride time was like 85 minutes. That was all the time I had, so it was fine. But, if I was planning a weekend out of it I would ride Sage in the morning when it is cooler (NO shade in Sage Hills), and then Twin Peaks area in the afternoon when it was warmer (Lots of shade, and higher elevation so it is cooler).

Hoping to ride Devil's Gulch next weekend (5/19-20). I think it will be all melted out by then, and hopefully the motos will have already been through with the chainsaws clearing the trees.
    Well, the No.2 Canyon trails are short for the type of rides you usually do. Most riders need much more than 1.5hr to do a loop of the 3 main trails.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The bottom 1/2 mile of Suspended in Paradise was "decommissioned". There is a good story and discussion on Wenatchee Outdoors. It is unrideable on the bottom part but you could still ride the top part and when you hit the first road crossing the trail you could go right back to the main road or left to the middle part of Stairway to Heaven.

There was talk last year after it was "decommissioned" that the FS was discussing the idea of letting users reconstruct the bottom of the trail but as far as I know it hasn't been touched.
    Last edited by rbwen; 05-09-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Problem with all of the Twin Peaks area trails is they are short, and unless you connect over to Sage Hills, you can ride everything in 90 minutes, and either repeat stuff, or go home. But, if I was planning a weekend out of it I would ride Sage in the morning when it is cooler (NO shade in Sage Hills), and then Twin Peaks area in the afternoon when it was warmer (Lots of shade, and higher elevation so it is cooler). .
    If you had one day, which one would you do:

(A) Ride up Stairway to Heaven to Twin Peaks summitt and then down Sage Hills?
    (B) Ride Sage in am and Twin Peaks in pm as you suggest?

Right now I've got one day slotted this coming weekend for my group to ride Sage Hills. I've heard the Twin Peaks trails are nice (Stairway to Heaven) so to make good use of our day was wondering if we should do both and what combination is best.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast