mtbr member

Death to Clay Pits! - Grand Ridge work applause

no need to bury a "thank you" in the work party threads.

Finally got back out to GR to check out the recent trail work. WOW. Awesome progress on the clay pit sections, the worst one is essentially gone entirely!

THANK YOU to the volunteers!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    We'll be back to finish up and there's talk of fixing other problems....
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I rode it on Saturday and it is a GREAT improvement. Still pretty mushy, so hopefully everything will hold before it dries out. The south side is riding really nice. The north end still has some issues. No complaints, warm weather riding in February is great...as long as you don't think about snow in the mountains.

Thanks for all of the work!

mtbr member
    Glad this thread appeared. If you've been there you know the climb to the former mud hole has been soft in places and the clay mud pit has been healed thanks to Team Art!

The climb up to the former clay pits was a question mark for the project and so far its had two tries and I think the 2nd pass is very close thanks to the Evergreen Pros with positive drainage and shapes that trap the water into the lows. What keeps happening is we work on it then it rains and then it has been getting tracked up for a couple of weeks and we are all confused.

This afternoon I wheelbarrowed a 1/2 load of the 2-4" rock in from the first climbing root just up from Grand Ridge drive. Keep thinking of the 2nd climbing root and those rocks the county placed there to get the toter up to the site, that's where I'm asking we as riders to all lend a hand holding one rock against your bars for 10 minutes to move one rock to the work site.

Today I took the stance to scrape and toss any tire tracks type of wet softness. Once that was done I was able to focus on what are the true soft places that need hardening and those are where I stomped in rock: anyplace that was mushy and would accept a stomped in rock.

I ran out of rocks from my 1/2 load then realized there was a full wheelbarrow load of the 2-4" rock at the staging area where Art's crew fixed the clay pit and I salvaged and pounded those in with my booted foot and I think its almost a done deal.

So yeah I'm asking for each of us on our next rides up from Issaquah to Grand Ridge to take 1 rock up from near grand ridge drive up to the work site and drop it into the area where the rock was staged for the clay pit fix. I will put up signs at the source and destination locations before this weekend so we all know how we can take one rock in our hand and pedal 10 minutes up the trail and it will become part of the final fix of this jello climb.

We will then use Mike Westra's Mix of 80% sand with 20% clay as covering/grout. Since I'm basically stomping rocks into mud which is at least part clay we will come behind the rock drop with sand to bind the clay.

Thanks for your support and see you on Grand Ridge soon and now that we are close to being comfortable with the work we've put onto the ground your opinions are welcome and thanks for letting us sort this out for a couple of weeks post work event.

-Len
    Last edited by Len.Francies; 03-04-2013 at 11:32 PM.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Trail domination, one rock at a time, I like it. Nice work Len!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hey Len, good seeing you again Monday. I'll throw a couple rocks in my pack next time I ride up from GR dr.

Take care,
    -Matt

mtbr member
    Just road GR today and the clay pit fix is awsome... thank you! Some great conditions today as well. Last week I cleaned out some of the drains and dug a couple small ones in what i like to call the 7 corners of sweetness. Right turn at the Y and before the left turn to the clay pit climb. Seems to be working well. Thanks to the rider who stopped to help me for a while.