mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Dangerous animals in black diamond?

So we were riding spooky today and that trail is properly named for me now. A little ways in came across a dead coyote that was mangled and half eaten. Any ideas what could be out there that would kill a coyote? I don't know why but the word cougar freaks me out and I ride solo out there all the time... Maybe it just died on the trail randomly and the birds have been picking at it. At any rate I guess I'm just trolling for conversation.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Sadly people shoot them all the time, so anything is possible.

I see their tracks and scat on my property all the time. The poop is full of rodent bones except for a brief period of time in the fall when they're noshing a lot of berries. Given the massive rodent problem we're fighting, I'll take all the 'yotes cruising through at night as possible.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The coyote has been tucked under the stump for a couple of months. Looks like it just curled up and went to sleep. I ride and run the trails 4 times a week and have never encountered any "dangerous" animals. I can't think of a better trail than "Spooky" to find a dead coyote!

mtbr member
    I have seen many Yeti's out there, they are dangerous.

Just roll it......
    The reality is there are animals in the woods...it's where they live! Bear, Cougar, Coyote, Bobcat.....you only (almost) see them if they want to be seen unless you surprise them.

That's why I bring my dogs when I'm out scouting....they make a racket running through the brush and their dogtags make noise. Without them, I'm always a bit more paranoid.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have ran into cougars a couple of times biking in WA. The most recent was at the Pilchuck Tree Farm in Stanwood, that was last season. Thing was way more afraid of us than we were of it.

It is probably a good idea in WA at least have a precursory knowledge of what one should do if they encounter cougars, bears, etc. when biking in the area.

I was thinking of getting some bear-bells for when I ride to not only protect me from bears, but also so I make noise to alert other users on the trail. REI has some cool ones that uses a magnet to either turn them "on" or "off" so you don't have to listen to ding-a-ling-a-ling all the way up the fire roads.
    Coghlan's Bear Bell with Magnetic Silencer at REI.com

I didn't do it
    A dead animal could be pecked on by any number of critters, many of them benign. Although I have run into many "dangerous" animals including cougars, bears and rattlesnakes while on the trail I have never had a threatening encounter with any of them. Unfortunately its the two legged creatures that worry me the most when I'm out on the trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

I hear ya, black diamond has quite the history of sketchy two legged creatures and their hidden meth labs in those woods. Guess I've just grown to comfortable with my local spots. I should probably pick up a bell since my rigid singlespeed is pretty quiet. Although all the huffing, puffing, and air sucking I do while riding that bike probably keeps all the critters aware of me for miles!

mtbr member
    ride enough out there, especially at dusk & eventually you will encounter a cougar, or feel one shadowing you, just off the trail.... quite often you'll notice their scat right in the middle of those main trails. However, I've not seen any the small black bears out there in almost 10 yrs now. tho, if you tie a small cat BELL (or a small cat) on your handlebars for noise & you'll probly never see any bear or cougars...
    Ride ON!
    Just an old bike geek. Lifelong Cyclist. MTBer since '86... "Life is a Circle"

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    BTW. I rode Spooky on Friday and the zombie coyote was on the trail!!!! Well, at least something had drug the carcass out on the trail. It is smelling pretty nasty. It now has a new home off the trail and in the brush. I could have left it on the trail as a new natural feature.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

It was on the trail when I spotted it for the original post. I'm sure most riders have just been bunny hopping it

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    the best way to tell bear scat from other animal scat is to look for the dinner bells in the feces, and there will be a strong pepper smell to it.

the bells didn't work 20 years ago, they won't work today. Atleast for bears.