Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

D-day for Super Charger, Paper Route, etc, etc

We knew that the property behind Summit Ridge was going to be logged and the time is here. I was hoping to set up a farewell ride but I did not get enough time to plan.The post logging sale may happen by the end of February and I will see what kind of allowances the new owner will make for trails.

Let's make sure we get the word out and stay off of those trails while the land is being logged.

"I was just told today that we will be moving our Feller Buncher into the unit tomorrow. We will most likely start cutting tomorrow or Friday. Make sure not to be on our property riding or doing anything else once the cutting or logging has started, it is very dangerous to be around. Sorry for the short notice but our schedule changes quick in this business.

Make sure all the folks that use the church property are aware to stay off our property too, we donít want anyone to get hurt.

Just to let you know we are working with some folks that want to buy most of our property; I believe they will keep the property in its natural state. This will be good for the bikers. I will let you know more about this once I have a signed contract.

Dan
    Herbrand Company"

mtbr member
    May 2004
    As sad as many here will think this is... (I never got to ride that section.) It is pretty cool that they are communicating with you as to their intentions and commenting as such about rider's safety. Hopefully, you can re-build.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Nooooooooo I was going to ride those trails last weekend but didn't make it down there. So sad

mtbr member
    We are doing a ride there tonight if anyone wants to join us. We are meeting at the Summit ridge gate at 7:45 and will be hitting all the good trails in the soon to be logged area.

mtbr member

Good job!

Sad end to a great area of trails. I hope a bunch of folks make it out for the ride tonight. Glad I took some pictures, though it is burned into my memory! Sorry it is a bit blury.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D-day for Super Charger, Paper Route, etc, etc-down-hill-10-8-11.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Wow!! That is why it was called Super Charger??

mtbr member
    Insanely fun ride tonight! We had 6 guys and 22 degree weather made for frozen and grippy dirt. We did 10 miles on soon to be logged trails. They will be missed!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Has anyone been out to see the beginning of the carnage? Has it really started?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I wanted you guys all to know that most of the trails will be open to ride until Monday. The loggers and equipment are onsite. They are set up down near the free ride park. They did clear a section just north of the park and took out the Broken Arm Farm trail (the FRP will not be affected). It looks like they started a skidder road off the cul-de-sac towards Dragons Tail. That looks like all they did. I talked to the logger last night and they do not plan to do any more cutting until Monday.

I wanted to set up a farewell ride so if you can make it out on Sunday afternoon let's fill up the trails!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D-day for Super Charger, Paper Route, etc, etc-north-free-ride-park.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    If it works for you guys we are trying to get as many riders as we can out on the trails for a farewell ride. Some riders will be meeting at Summit Ridge at 2pm and some will be meeting me at the boulders at Henry's at 1:45pm.

Let's enjoy them one last time before the trees go away.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    We got our last ride in before the trees fall. Got some photos of some key trail markers.

PS. There was some cool frost over by Super Charger today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D-day for Super Charger, Paper Route, etc, etc-farewell-paper-route.jpg  

D-day for Super Charger, Paper Route, etc, etc-farewell-super-charger.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Super Charger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D-day for Super Charger, Paper Route, etc, etc-farewell-super-charger.jpg  

mtbr member

Last shot of Super Charger

...and here's a shot of the guys final descent into Super Charger. Beautiful, frosty day!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D-day for Super Charger, Paper Route, etc, etc-0120131439b.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Super Charger, Paper Route, Rollerblade, Two Mile Island, etc. are still in are still in existence, but it wonít be long now.

We got out today on just about all the dirt that will be destroyed by the Feller Bunchers currently active in the area. We could hear them on the Plum Creek property, but they were still clearing the northern section, adjacent to Holy Roller. However, we saw several large logging trucks leaving the area fully loaded with lumber. I image just about all of the property between Holly Roller and suspension bridge is unrideable at this stage or will be very very soon. We didnít care to go over and see the tree slaughter.

It was a bit of a ride killjoy knowing and hearing the machines tearing up the forest, but it sure was nice getting to ride some of the best dirt in the Seattle area one last time.

I didn't do it
    I was out there yesterday as well. Mixed emotions being on those trails for the last time with all that logging going on right next door. Going to miss those trails dangit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

***Help Needed***

I am going to take a proactive approach with the current/new owner of the land being logged. What I would like to do is communicate to them the recreation value we see in allowing to have trails re-established after the logging is done. This needs to be tactifully done since the owner could say we have trails at Summit Ridge, Henry's Ridge and on the west side of 169 to ride. This is all true but all of these areas have (had) trails with different design character. And the Plum Creek trails were built by guys who have been building for over 15 years and their design evolved over the years. The area being logged has some of the best "flowy" trails around. We estimate there were 10 miles of trails on this property.

So, post your thoughts. I will bundle them up and send it off to the owner.

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    There are roughly 25 riders in my group that ride those trails on a regular basis (at least once a month). We all are going to miss those trails and really do hope the new owners allow a rebuild in at least some of the areas. They were a real draw to the area for us and without them our visits will probably drop. Summit and Henry's are great places that we will still ride a lot, but when you eliminate 10 miles of great trails, it really limits the amount you can ride without doing the same stuff over and over.

Every time we ride out in Black Diamond we hit the Starbucks or other local business and and spend money after our ride. It isnt a major impact, but it is helping the local economy in a small way.

I didn't do it
    Here are a few thoughts to add to the list:

1. We live in Seattle and ride those trails regularly. Every time we ride we spend money, mainly in Mapple Valley. It's a combination of gas, eats and believe it or not a stop at the Safeway.

2. Mtn bikers tend to be good stewards of the land. For one, we act as a de facto security force simply by our presence. Also note how trash free the Plum Creek trails are, we take care of what we use.

3. The Plum Creek trails have a unique character to them and they are worth preserving. After logging is complete it would be nice to have the opportunity to go in and restore them. Tokul East is a good example of how the mtn bike community can coexist with private owners in a mutuaully beneficial arrangement.

mtbr member
    Thanks Rick, it will be nice to see what others have say.
    My thoughts on the Plum Creek property seem to center on how those trails truely felt like I was away in the mountains. They seemed further from the sounds of city life and the drone of cars speeding by. Stopping along the trail was rewarded by views of surrounding hills, listening to birds and simply taking in the forrest. The property's trails weren't simply rolling trail; they offered some longer, steeper climbs and some the the best flowing trail in the Black Diamond/Maple Valley area. Though the trees will be gone for a while, I hope we are able to remain stewards of the trial, help replant and replace the old trails. I think it is our responsiblity to preserve the area after timber harvest and insure it is there for the next generation. I and my kids help build and maintain trails at Henry's and Summit Ridge, and I would like to do so at Plum Creek.

mtbr member
    Anyone have a logging update? How does it look?

kmc
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    We rode out there today. Supercharger is gone. So is part of Tribulation. That one surprised us.

Paper route looks in tact still, but probably for not much longer. We couldn't get to it from where we were riding.

Still ended up riding 19 miles without those trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    How much of Tribulation was affected? Does it look like an easy reconnect?

I know Holy Roller 2 was affected but it can be fixed with 3 short "re" connections.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    It should be fairly easy to make Tribulation a loop again. Although it was difficult to tell exactly how long the reconnect section will need to be, because the forest looks so different sans trees, we were fairly close to halfway on the Tribulation loop when we hit the clear cut.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    as of 2 days ago Tribulation was 99.9 unaffected. 2 corners were trimmed off leaving about 30, 40 ft. of easy riding over minor debris. the logged area was ribboned off in a straight line up against the trail. anybody know if long term that's as far as they're logging?
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    I thought Trib was all on Summit Ridge property? Rick, do you have a map of the Summit Ridge property border?
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast