Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    14

    Current Trail Conditions on Whidbey Island?

    Greetings, next week I'm spending a few days on Whidbey Island and I am trying to decide whether to bring along the MTB. Any input on current conditions? I'd also appreciate suggestions for MTB trails/areas on the island. Many thanks.
    Edit: I'll be staying on the South end, but flexible.
    Last edited by mdehner; 02-25-2012 at 04:13 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    135
    Where on Whidbey?

    Ft. Ebey / Kettles is a great place to ride. Anacortes Forest Lands are fun too, but just north of the Deception Pass Area. I don't know to much about the south end of the island.

    Things are wet around here now, but Whidbey is generally a little drier then the Bellingham area trails...

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: playdead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    743
    Ft. Ebey / Kettles? Never heard of it. Similar to Cranberry?
    "Bound to cover just a little more ground"

  4. #4
    Squeaky Wheel
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,851

  5. #5
    TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Reputation: unicrown junkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    656
    I live in Coupeville, but am currently up here in BC. We live in the local "sunbelt", seriously. So that means the Kettles is usually drier than everywhere else. Its been HELLA windy this week, lots of branches down.

    If I get a chance tomorrow when I get back, I'll go and verify conditions firsthand.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Transfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    45
    You might be interested in this:
    Mussels in the Kettles ride March 3rd

    There's a formal non-competitive ride on Saturday morning. I'm in Seattle so I don't know the conditions, but I'll be there on Saturday.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4,981
    Down on the South end? What about Metcalf Trust??? Just outside of Langley. Fun XC stuff.

    Trax Maps

    Maps for Both Metcalf and Fort Ebey here.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: A girl from Seattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    371
    I was just at Fort Ebey/Kettles yesterday and conditions were near perfect. Hardly any mud, hardly any blowdown.
    "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -- Calvin & Hobbes

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Down on the South end? What about Metcalf Trust??? Just outside of Langley. Fun XC stuff.

    Trax Maps

    Maps for Both Metcalf and Fort Ebey here.
    I really love these S Whidbey trails as a substitute for the longer trip North to ACFL. It becomes a little more epic if you bike onto the ferry in Mukilteo and road ride up to the XC.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: snwwlkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
    You might be interested in this:
    Mussels in the Kettles ride March 3rd

    There's a formal non-competitive ride on Saturday morning. I'm in Seattle so I don't know the conditions, but I'll be there on Saturday.

    I will be there with a few friends for the poker run. Riding Ebey on Friday and hanging around for Musselfest for the rest of the weekend. It should be fun.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3
    I'm a new PT local, well sorta, I live about 5 miles out of town. Any way I've got this dream/idea to ride into town, hop on the ferry, go ride kettles trails, hop the ferry back, drink beer on boat, then pedal home. No car and hopefully good trails.

    I'm not overly a snob, but since it is a bit of an escapade, I'd like to get in the most/best riding and I'm not even sure if thats possible from the ferry terminal without riding to the good trails for an hour plus. I've never ridden Kettles so I dont know where the best stuff is. What I'm looking for is the most elevation loss, so obviosly some climbing would be involved, mostly singltrack, fast and flowy is prefered over slow flat rooty turny technical riding. But I do love technical decents. It would be cool to do 2-2.5 hour loop. Not sure its possible, maybe linking up with a bus to get me to the better trails first then finishing the ride with a big pedal back to the ferry?

    Thanks for any insight

  12. #12
    TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Reputation: unicrown junkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    656
    Quote Originally Posted by newtron View Post
    I'm a new PT local, well sorta, I live about 5 miles out of town. Any way I've got this dream/idea to ride into town, hop on the ferry, go ride kettles trails, hop the ferry back, drink beer on boat, then pedal home. No car and hopefully good trails.

    I'm not overly a snob, but since it is a bit of an escapade, I'd like to get in the most/best riding and I'm not even sure if thats possible from the ferry terminal without riding to the good trails for an hour plus. I've never ridden Kettles so I dont know where the best stuff is. What I'm looking for is the most elevation loss, so obviosly some climbing would be involved, mostly singltrack, fast and flowy is prefered over slow flat rooty turny technical riding. But I do love technical decents. It would be cool to do 2-2.5 hour loop. Not sure its possible, maybe linking up with a bus to get me to the better trails first then finishing the ride with a big pedal back to the ferry?

    Thanks for any insight
    Your 2-3 hour time frame from the dock would work quite well. Riding from the dock to the Kettles would take about 40 minutes more or less.

    As for your preference on trails, Kettles has a bit of everything. I have found over the past eighteen years that there is less roots, especially on the older trails like Ho-Kee-Ka-Doh-Doh. Back in '94 it was seriously challenging, not much nowadays.

    But I haven't done every trail, so maybe there is something more your style.

    Funny how we think the grass is greener on the PT side. I love the lower Dungie/Gold Creek trail, cannot wait to get back there this summer!
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •