Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cranksets?

mtbr member
    May 2004

Cranksets?

Always wondered why crank sets are so rediculously expensive. Being in the aerospace industry, I know I can get some pretty tight tolerance parts in a much lower quantity for WAY less. And, what really is the differnce between a XTR bazillion dollar crank set and anything in the 100-200 price range like the Ride XCs? I can't tell the difference.... I guess I've always thought this was the one component that was horribly overpriced for what it is. Anyone got a logical explination? Trigger shifters seem to have gotten a good technological flowdown. Mid-range stuff is better than the top level of even 5 years ago. But, really, what can you change in a crank?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Shimano XTR is largely titanium. Most other cranks are an aluminum alloy.
    The quiver: 2010 Santa Cruz Nomad, 2011 Specialized Demo II, 2011 Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Some manufacturers will offer their high end crankset in a hollow version. Shimano I think, and truvativ I know reserves the 7000 series for the highest end. Also shimano's nicer xtr finish and a little bit of weight reduction.

Not that it rationalizes what can be an overpriced product. I'm all about the second teir down components, as well.

mtbr member
    I have a couple sets I am not proud to admit I spent that much on. One is ti and carbon and I am sure the build cost is higher, but not as high as the price tag.

If you want a great crank for good money, you really cant beat an Shimano XT crank.

mtbr member
    The SLX cranks are almost the same weight, look better and are even cheaper than the XT!

I have SLX on my 29er and XO carbon on my 26er and I really cant tell the difference between them.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    That's kinda my point. My bother spending 500-600 or more on a crank set? It's kind of like snow sports, they don't "have" to be expensive to have fun. I was just looking at a new BB and thought about the newer all in one crank sets and then went into shock at the cost if some of the cranks out there. You could buy a functional bike for the cost of a crank set that most of us couldn't even tell the difference between the SLX model you mentioned...

mtbr member
    The XO carbon came stock on my bike and it is nice, but there is no way I'd spend $400 on them. The SLX 2x10 w/bash are $109 on BlueSky right now and perform great. I wanted the XO for my 29er when I built it up, but the SLX and $300 in my pocket were definitely the right choice for me.

mtbr member
    The type of alloy makes a big difference. Just look at the weight differences between handlebars. 6061, vs 7075 vs carbon. For essentially the same strength (and often the same manufacturer) the weight differences are around 20%. That is HUGE. So, for a more or less simple shape like a handlebar, you may see quite a bit larger difference going to a complex shape like a crank arm/BB/Chainring.

When I was looking for a budget crank with all the bling but without the marketing hype, I felt the top alloy to be the 7075TV alloy. Hence, I ended up with Truvative Holzfeller. These were about as stiff as the Race Face Evolve DH, and a bit stiffer than the mega expensive Race Face SIXC I have now. And they were less than 200 bucks.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdusto View Post
    Shimano XTR is largely titanium. Most other cranks are an aluminum alloy.
    What!?!?!? XTR cranks are made from aluminum.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Always wondered why crank sets are so rediculously expensive. Being in the aerospace industry, I know I can get some pretty tight tolerance parts in a much lower quantity for WAY less. And, what really is the differnce between a XTR bazillion dollar crank set and anything in the 100-200 price range like the Ride XCs? I can't tell the difference.... I guess I've always thought this was the one component that was horribly overpriced for what it is. Anyone got a logical explination? Trigger shifters seem to have gotten a good technological flowdown. Mid-range stuff is better than the top level of even 5 years ago. But, really, what can you change in a crank?
    One thing is the quality of the materials. For one of my previous jobs, I built a PLC controlled pneumatic crank testing machine - it would flex cranks with a counter until it failed. I was mostly testing chromoly BMX cranks but we threw on a set of USED XTR cranks just to see how long they would last. Let's just say the results were amazing cycle to failure wise. We also threw on some cheaper "forged" cranks that didn't last very long at all. XTR is certainly a step above if you want light and strong - of course the old saying is true here, you can't get cheap as well
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cranksets?-tester.jpg  

"It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Point being there isn't a noticable difference between XTR and say LX or SLX cranks. Why pay so much more? I don't know anyone who regularily breaks their low end cranks. Heck LX is on sale at a webstore right now with a BB for 90 bucks. Bang. Screw the $600 dollar set. Save that for the parking lot poseurs and wanna be pros. I can use the 5 bills for a nice bike trip.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    What!?!?!? XTR cranks are made from aluminum.
    I think the current models have carbon/ti chainrings though.

mtbr member
    Point being there isn't a noticable difference between XTR and say LX or SLX cranks. Why pay so much more? I don't know anyone who regularily breaks their low end cranks. Heck LX is on sale at a webstore right now with a BB for 90 bucks. Bang. Screw the $600 dollar set. Save that for the parking lot poseurs and wanna be pros. I can use the 5 bills for a nice bike trip.
    Yes, SLX is great for 90% of riders out there. But XTR wasn't made to be everymans equipment - it's for those that want the best.
    "It looks flexy"

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Some people pay more because the difference is worth it to them. Personally I have one set of xtr cranks, and they were purchased used. I'm very happy with them for what I paid, but wouldn't have bought them new. XT is definitely the sweet spot for value, and I personally wouldn't buy below that.

Save that for the parking lot poseurs and wanna be pros. I can use the 5 bills for a nice bike trip.
    That's a hall of fame quote there, and with you that's saying something.

mtbr member
    I'm good with XT although I just splurged on a set of Saint 1X cranks for my Nomad. I personally have bent more cranks than I've broken. Last one for me was a set of Sram TruVativ Stylo's where the NDS snapped.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The "R" in XTR, stands for race. If you want the lightest gear, and the latest tech., you are going to pay for it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Advertising, sponsorships. Still, huge margins on those things from what I've heard.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Bob, those XTR cranks are over 200 grams lighter than LX cranks. I mean, who wants to climb with that extra 200 grams on their bike? Of course they are worth the money.

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    I'm ready to go for a two-chainring setup, but I hate the fact that all the 94/56 BCD cranks are gone. Hard to beat my three pairs of Suntour Microdrive's. I like using a 20 on the front, combine that with a 36 in the rear and that's one kick-ass climbing gear.

So, I hit Fanatik in B'Ham on Monday coming back from the Lower Mainland. Those screwy carbon SRAM cranks they have i stock look really cool, but no way am I ever buying carbon for crank arms.

Anyone make a low 20 anymore or are we stuck with 22s and 24s now again? I know Middleburn has a crank set, but I'm thinking forged.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Bob, those XTR cranks are over 200 grams lighter than LX cranks. I mean, who wants to climb with that extra 200 grams on their bike? Of course they are worth the money.
    200 grams is les than a half pound. If your not 4% body fat, it's a waste of mony.

mtbr member
    a 20 up front? I dont know if I could tolerate going that slow (20f36r), I'd probably fall over!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darthjamo View Post
    200 grams is les than a half pound. If your not 4% body fat, it's a waste of mony.

"wooosh,..." that was the sound it made as it went right over his head.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimba View Post
    Further proof there is no correlation between body fat and IQ!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Further proof there is no correlation between body fat and IQ!
    You talk big from your desk. Nice pics, see you on the trail.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimba View Post
    Gave me a chuckle this morning though. That's worth something!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast