Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Corral Pass / Suntop Status - Late June/Early July 2013

Snotel says 10.1 inches at Corral pass at 5pm today.

NWCC Report Generator (BETA)

This matches what Peter/Gonz and I took on last July 12 was it?

If is road open as I'll glady hitch a ride to saw across to the shelter knowing I'll have to walk across the snowfield just beyond the switchbacks.

Any updates on Suntop route are appreciated and may hopefully by the 4th we can have these both cleared....

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    We hit 3'-4' of snow two weeks ago at 4700' on Suntop. Only one big tree down (16") on the lower half below the creek crossing and a smaller root ball tree in the middle zone below the road. Root ball might want to roll on the trail when the buck is taking out. Tension cut! Pushy brushy in a few spots and the last switchback in the clear cut zone is halfway gone.

I bet people who aren't racing the endruo will be shuttling all weekend.
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    How did you come up with 10.1 inches at Corral pass? I just checked, as of Saturday 6/29 Snotel shows a snow depth of 18 inches. Last Saturday I rode up Ranger past the shelter. There were 2 trees down fairly close together about 1/4 mile above the shelter. Dalles Ridge was snow free until I got to the northern facing slope where there was still a lot of snow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I bet Len saw the "Snow Water Equivalent" column. The report definitely says 18" of snow on the ground.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Len has super powers and knew it will be down to 10.1" soon with the hot weather!
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If anyone rides up there today could they give a conditions report? I'm wondering how it is recovering from the deluges this week.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I was up there today. Parked at bottom of Palisades, rode up white river to Corral pass junction. The gate was closed. The road was snow free all the way up. 1 tree across Noble Knob about 2.3 miles from the parking lot. Started running into some patches of snow after deep creek, not too bad though. Ran into a LOT of snow coming down the switchbacks on Dalles, had to walk a lot of it. Then a huge snow field on the north facing slope right after the switchbacks. Lost the trail and was tramping around in the snow for at least 30 minutes. I was just about ready to go back and finally found the trail. It should be easier for someone to find tomorrow by following my tracks. After that it was all good, someone cleared the down trees above the shelter. Other than the snow all of the trails were in excellent shape, roots and rocks were mostly dry and virtually no mud.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Corral Pass / Suntop Status - Late June/Early July 2013-noble-snow.jpg  

Corral Pass / Suntop Status - Late June/Early July 2013-noble-th.jpg  

Corral Pass / Suntop Status - Late June/Early July 2013-noble-tree.jpg  

Last word is all yours...
    GREAT TR - thanks for posting that.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member

Re: Corral Pass / Suntop Status - Late June/Early July 2013

Thanks for the current data. So we will try to send saws down Thursday knowing we have to carry up corral pass and suntop we can shuttle.

Being smart is not a useful trait for backcountry sawyers btw...

In other news I rode Middlefork for first time since 6/1 and while ferns are up and open trail is visible. We will need to do a pass but no reason to hide from it either. Marteen did you get out alive? (He rode CCC road, CCC trail then midfork out and back. Inspirational!

And Scotland the past two weeks was lovely.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Has anyone ridden Deep Creek yet this year? I wouldn't be surprised to see trees down on that one.

mtbr member
    Graham sawed UPhill on deep creek to some snowy headwall a couple of weeks ago.... he's off in uber land again this weekend but perhaps reread his post in this forum.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Dromond,

Deep creek is clear up to the bald knob, about 1/2 mi (?) or so below it's junction with the Noble Knob trail. that had 2ft of snow when i was there 2plus weeks ago.

cheers, graham

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    Graham, Len, Ty, and the rest of our kickass trail monsters, you guys are awesome!
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member

Per Enumclaw USFS public info desk note on desk in front of operator says USFS 7174 Corral Pass road will not be opened this year. This was administrative decision to not open the campground at corral pass.

Road 72/7250 is open.

The USFS crew logged out Suntop yesterday.

Peter and I will as advertised follow Grahams footsteps up Deep Creek and across Noble Nob to the Ranger Shelter July 4 for our "fireworks" fun.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Len.Francies View Post
    Per Enumclaw USFS public info desk note on desk in front of operator says USFS 7174 Corral Pass road will not be opened this year. This was administrative decision to not open the campground at corral pass.
    Wow...big news! Funding decision?

Thanks again, Len, Peter, Graham and all the saw ninjas for the work!

Just roll it......
    Wow, that will dramatically cut down on the uber grumpy hikers on Dalles Ridge! I don't think that will make that road climb much better though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post
    Wow, that will dramatically cut down on the uber grumpy hikers on Dalles Ridge! I don't think that will make that road climb much better though.
    I will appreciate having less dust kicked in my face on a hot Saturday

Last word is all yours...
    Quote Originally Posted by dromond View Post
    I will appreciate having less dust kicked in my face on a hot Saturday
    This.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Road 72/7250 is open.
    It's really too bad they didn't decide to close this road too.

mtbr member

I find staggering the calculus was based on the manpower needed to keep filthy campground toilets only slightly less foul. By closing this campground and the road to it now the TP guy has one less trip up and down 7174 per day.

Welcome U.S. citizens to the 3rd world.

mtbr member
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
    It's really too bad they didn't decide to close this road too.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    It would cut down on the shuttlers then using that direction to access Dalles and thus, Ranger, etc.... Fortunately, most didn't know that but will now... Having both closed for a season or two would allow the trail to heal a little more from "over use to design" IMHO. But, that's probably why Bruiser mentioned that.

mtbr member
    Ah, evil shuttlers, (I count myself among their numbers). We could debate the rights and wrongs of that ad nauseum but what about other users who maybe cant pedal a bike or hike forever but still want to get a view or access Dalles Ridge?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scotteric View Post
    Ah, evil shuttlers, (I count myself among their numbers). We could debate the rights and wrongs of that ad nauseum but what about other users who maybe cant pedal a bike or hike forever but still want to get a view or access Dalles Ridge?
    For views you can pay Crystal Mountain for a ride in the bucket or drive to Sun Top...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Fortunately, most didn't know that but will now...
    I think it's been well known already. 2 weekends ago when we rode up Palisades and down Ranger, we came across at least 2 groups of shuttlers.

I have no issues with folks shuttling these trails so long as they respect the backcountry nature of trails and yield to other trail users, don't leave skid marks coming too fast into corners, creating ruts in the process, or cut tight switchbacks, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast