Thread: Cool Trail Tool

mtbr member
    May 2004

Cool Trail Tool

Look what I found on FaceBook.
    Trail Insight™ Trail Boss™: The packable trail working tool that YOU can order around
    Not a total waste of time after all!
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Yeah, it's pretty cool. Met the guy that makes 'em. Craftsman.
    "Bound to cover just a little more ground"

mtbr member
    May 2004
    It's getting around. Buy Bill's tool. You can even sneak it past permit checkers. Hope Bill sells a ton.

Just roll it......
    Bill's good people. I'll be curious to see his final design for the shovel.

Really hoping to get a couple of these.

Kevin just did a vid on Friday of this.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Sent email to ask about shovel head.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    $240 for a McLeod

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yes it's big bucks but in some cases it's the only way. I'm going to get one.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimba View Post
    $240 for a McLeod
    Bill makes these things by hand in his garage. He is a craftsman, and they are very high quality. So, while the price is high, you are getting a super nice tool that is packable and I don't think Bill will be quitting his day job anytime soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Profit margin has gotta be low. More of a labor of love, and good willed contribution to the cause. I'll be ordering one. 2nd the shovel inquiry.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_schuldt View Post
    Look what I found on FaceBook.
    Trail Insight™ Trail Boss™: The packable trail working tool that YOU can order around
    Not a total waste of time after all!
    Interesting tool. There is a packable forest fire-fighting tool similiar to this based around a Pulaski type handle. Also with multiple heads including a shovel as I recall.

Pros: Packable and portable. Local area company. Seems well designed. Flexible assembly options for the task at hand. Great for a ride-in quick fix project.

Cons: Cost. That's a big one for most people. Ouch! One could get several conventional tools for that amount of money and cut down the handles to make them more portable. This is for riding in to the worksite. If people are walking in then regular tools work just as well. The Mcleod, pick, and axe heads are all much smaller and less effective than the standard size for such tools. Unless extra handle sections are purchased only one head can be utilized at a time. In other words only one person at a time can be contributing with this thing.

Overall: For what it is and the specific situations for which it was designed, excellent. For general use regular tools are far more cost effective. One or two kits for an active group or club could be justified. Especially if there is quick response work to be done at some distance in from trailheads. Maybe there is a bulk buy option or better yet a non-profit discount. How about a test trial?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The other tool I mentioned above is available at forestry-suppliers.com Item number 33187 MAX Multi-Purpose Axe.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Here's the link
    MAX Multi-Purpose Axe
    Not cheap...