I do what I want

Commuting by bike from Kent area to Seattle downtown?

My fellow cyclists, I'm hoping you can share your wisdom and guidance with me. I'm moving to Seattle area beginning of August and I'm looking for places to live, Kent came up on my radar (I have a dog and cat) since its more pet friendly and much cheaper than downtown. However, my office is in DT area and I would need to commute, how feasible would that be to bike from Kent to Seattle? Thanks

PS - Ive checked the mileage from Kent to Seattle, it seems very doable, I've riddend farther on after work rides so thats not an issue, just not sure there is any viable routes.
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

I didn't do it
    That looks like a pretty substantial commute but if you've done the mileage before then you've got that covered. Finding a good route could be tricky. The layout of the roads and streets south of Seattle can be rather disorganized, discontinous, etc. A couple other thoughts. One is the weather. You can count on maybe 6 months of more or less consistently wet weather, so be prepared. Second, a substantial part of your commute will be through less than reputable areas, especially parts of the Rainier valley. Any particular reason for Kent? West Seattle might be a reasonable alternative.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The Interurban Trail will get you from Kent to Tukwila along the Green River. From the northern end of the Interurban you can go east to Rainier Avenue which will take you all the way in, but once you get up even with Seward Park it's very unfriendly to bikes. Check with Cascade Bicycle Club.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Iterurban trail (or green river when open) to Tukwila, then onto East Marginal - then 1st Ave - cross on Hanford to bike trail into Downtown. Easy Peasy - nice flat, fast, very popular commute - doable all year round. Nearly all bike trail or bike lane.

Just use Google Maps 'bike' option.
    Ken B.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    It partly depends on where you'll be living in Kent - from Kent Hills or The Landing you'll want to come in on Rainier. From the valley you'd take the Duwamish trail or Airport Way S. Either way it will be basically flat and a route with a lot of commuters.

mtbr member
    Interurban trail!

It's definitely doable and it was a factor in deciding to move where I did. I live in Auburn and work in South Seattle (think Georgetown and Boeing field) and my work commute year round is on the interurban trail. It's about 17 miles for me. Depending on where it is in Seattle you are going YMMV. The interurban trail only goes up to about the south end of Boeing field where you have to switch to the road. From there you'll either want to take East marginal or airport way up further north. I haven't ever ridden continuously past Georgetown but assume it's probably all road for you from the end of Interurban till your destination. Interurban actually starts up again in Fremont and runs to Edmonds/Everett, I hear.

If you pick a place in Kent there are easy access points to the interurban any where in Downtown Kent (Kent station). I know a lot of guys up on the east hill will drive to the park and ride near Showare and ride from there. Anything north of Willis st. means you will be riding past the Airways brewery and can stop in for a pint on the way home.

There are always heaps of bums and crackheads out on the trail. Haven't had a negative experience in the year I've lived here and been doing this ride. Biggest problem is that I ride at oh-dark-thirty in the AM and dudes pushing a shopping cart on the trail aren't running a Planetbike turbo blinker and I have to keep my eyes peeled. Tons of commuters on the trail going both ways. It's pretty sweet!

swanny
    May 2012
    Interurban Trail and the Green River Trail are your friends. I ride from Des Moines to Tukwila and get to enjoy 12.5 of my 15 mile commute all on trail, couldn't ask for a better ride. Our office is right on the trail and we watch people year round ride by, it's kind of fun to see the numbers go up when the weather gets nice. It's doable year round so long as you don't mind the cold/wet.

My boss rides from Green Lake to Tukwila, 1st ave and East Marginal are a part of his usual route.

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    Here's some online resources:

King County Bike Map and resources
    Seattle Department of Transportation: Bike Program

I'm not familiar with that route, but my understanding from other bike commuters here at Cray is that coming from east/southeast of downtown (e.g., Kent, Bellevue) is easier than coming in from south/southwest of downtown (e.g., Georgetown, West Seattle.)
    Rolland