Thread: Colonnade

mtbr member

Colonnade

I haven't been to Colonnade in 2 years or so, but decided to head there lunch time yesterday for an hour.

Wow, Colonnade has really has deteriorated. Someone even built a fire pit by the drops. I rode the pump track and nearly woke up someone who was sleeping by the track.

It reminded me of a scene from Gears of War or Call of Duty.

It can't be too long until the city shuts down that place. Does anybody know if there are any planned worked parties? I would pitch in.

Very sad.
    fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches.

I5Troll
    Hey Scott, I'll relay my reply to your FB post here for the benefit of all. Short answer...

Yep -- we really need some help at the 'Nade. Graham is back in town for the summer and will be leading work parties. Shoot him an email (graham at evergreenmtb dot org).

Long answer...

We've been trying to get folks to take a leadership role in maintaining Colonnade for years now. Just haven't been getting a lot of interest now that there are so many trails in the woods to ride and work on these days. But recently we're starting to get more interest. Let Graham know what kind of a role you'd like to play in Colonnade's ongoing maintenance.

FYI, we're not allowed to do anything with the homeless camps though... the city has to take care of that. We communicate with them on a regular basis and they get to the camps and resulting garbage piles as soon as they can.

Our city project manager hasn't ever mentioned shutting the place down. During our onsite meetings we discuss decommissioning sections that aren't getting a lot of legit use. It's the lack of use that attracts the camps and other negative uses. We also discuss possible improvements that would increase usage. That's where I need volunteers like yourself to take an active role... share ideas on what we can do to make the place more attractive. But then most importantly, we need volunteers to lead that effort. There is no budget for Colonnade improvements, so it has to be an all volunteer effort.

If anyone sees any camping or illegal activity, please contact Seattle Parks right away. Especially important if it's in a dangerous spot like a landing zone.

The following is from their website (Seattle Parks and Recreation: Contact Us).

Something Broken? To report broken play equipment, malfunctioning sprinklers, burnt-out lights, etc., call our 24-Hour Maintenance Request Line at 206-684-7250.

Graffiti? To report graffiti or illegal dumping, call the City’s Graffiti Report Line at 206-684-7587 or use the online report form.

Illegal Camping? To report an encampment, call the City's Customer Service Bureau at 206-684-2489.

Cheers,
    Mike

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I've been a couple times in the past year and haven't really seen anyone else riding. Are there any weekly rides at the colonnade? If no, any interest in doing such a thing? I think maintenance isn't going to take off without a community of people who ride here regularly.