Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

cold weather ride

978 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  traffic002 
#1 ·
So tonight (Tue) I was going to ride with Charlies group out at Tokul, how ever I ended up having to work way later than I thought and the ride got canceled.

Fast fwd a few hours and when i went to take the bike out of the truck bed 10:45 PM 28 deg's, the steering would barley move back and forth (Chris king head set), and the rear cogs didn't seem to be behaving like they should.

Kind of made me wonder how it would have acted if i did ride.

Anyone ever had their bike freeze up on a cold day?

#2 ·
LOL... I was going to go with you guys tonight and was a bummed that the ride was canceled. I don't have any experience with mechanical issues on the bike in the cold, but I've lost feeling in my hands and feet before, and that sucks.

#3 ·
Jimba said:
Anyone ever had their bike freeze up on a cold day?
Saturday, Larch Mountain: 20 F. Grease in rear hub gelled up allowing the crank to free spin both ways. Tried heating in front of the car exhaust but as soon as I was a minute down the trail, no go. Had to wait 4 hours and then it was still iffy.

#5 ·
I do quite a bit of night riding, even in this weather, and have had no problems at all. As long as you dress warm enough (booties, long underwear under tights, stocking cap) it is all good. In fact did a ride last night, must have been in the teeens, and it was chilly in the open fast sections but fine in the trees and the trail was in super fast condition...ideal really. Get out there and ride!

#8 ·
Well, Wed night at the Beav, ride started in the low 20s and ended with 16*. Quite cold.

BUT.

I wear a heavy-weight base layer. Then my thermal riding jersey. Then my shell. I wear my road biking shorts and a thermal bib pants. Cover my shoes with full neoprene booties and wear wool socks. I'm using snow-board liner gloves and a wool/synth cap under my helmet.

Only my toes were cold. At one point, I thought about losing the shell.

Basically dress for a mid 30* road ride and it's just fine for a high teens/low 20s trail ride.

I rode my Monocog. Cable disc brakes and no gears or suspension. Last week, I thought I felt my brakes feeling a bit "full" on the brake feel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.