mtbr member

Cold weather night riding= popular?

We went up to Tokul East last night and I ran into 8 other riders, and my group had 7, which was more than I expected since the temp was in the 20s. Then I heard from a buddy of mine who was doing some trail work at the Tapeworm last night and he said a group of 10 strong came thru, along with 5 or 6 other riders, all after 7pm. Also last Wednesday night our group of 7 came across a group of 8 out at Summit Ridge/Henry's ridge, well after 8pm.

I've been night riding every Wednesday for the past 3+ years, and we rarely run into other riders so I'm surprised to see so many people out there! I've always loved the trail conditions when it is dry and cold, and it seems others do too! The availability of cheap bright lights probably is also a factor in more people riding at night.

Are more people getting out at night,because they can, or is it just a small surge of post turkey day feasting guilt?
    2013 Stumpy Evo

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Popular with the fat bike crowd... even weaker lights produce good light in snow. Tons of fat biking op's in Washington (especially in winter- obviously)... surprised more folks here aren't into it.

mtbr member
    I think the unusually dry fall has helped a lot too, not nearly as muddy as it normally would be right now.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    The ground is perfect right now. Super tacky and it's not muddy so I don't have to wash the dogs.

I figured we've just been running into someone that's a self exile from our group and just hits the trail earlier than us.

mtbr member
    depends on how cold. A few years back we tried riding on a night that was down to the teens, the bikes were not liking it, headsets were really stiff and freewheels were not freewheeling due to thick cold grease.

Like what was said above, the ground is perfect, muddy areas are rock hard.

I5Troll
    4 this year so far... 2 Tokul East, 1 Gd Ridge and 1 unnamed other. Didn't see a sole except 3 DWBz on the first TE ride. Really liking TE at night. Everything seems more fun in the dark... except Flowtron... like that better in the daytime.

mtbr member

Re: Cold weather night riding= popular?

We sure like it, it takes about half way up the steep hill at tokul to get completely not cold, but once that initial 20 minutes I is over, it's fine for the duration. I totally love it!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

NW MTBER

night riding

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    We went up to Tokul East last night and I ran into 8 other riders, and my group had 7, which was more than I expected since the temp was in the 20s. Then I heard from a buddy of mine who was doing some trail work at the Tapeworm last night and he said a group of 10 strong came thru, along with 5 or 6 other riders, all after 7pm. Also last Wednesday night our group of 7 came across a group of 8 out at Summit Ridge/Henry's ridge, well after 8pm.

I've been night riding every Wednesday for the past 3+ years, and we rarely run into other riders so I'm surprised to see so many people out there! I've always loved the trail conditions when it is dry and cold, and it seems others do too! The availability of cheap bright lights probably is also a factor in more people riding at night.

Are more people getting out at night,because they can, or is it just a small surge of post turkey day feasting guilt?
    I think we may have been the group you saw last wednesday at Henry's Ridge. You guys were coming up the gravel between the ponds to Once Upon A Time when we first saw you? We have been riding most wednesdays for the past 6 years or more. We rarely run into anyone especially at Henry's Ridge/BD. It's a great way to sneak in another ride during the week and not be in as much of a hurry to get home to the fam when they are all asleep anyway! Happy Trails!
    I think it's just around the next corner...

mtbr member
    That was us!
    We rode OUAT right behind you guys then veered off and rode derailer. The troll bridge is awesome at night !
    2013 Stumpy Evo

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    And the new technology with heated socks helps too Mr. Lynch.

Last word is all yours...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimba View Post
    depends on how cold. A few years back we tried riding on a night that was down to the teens, the bikes were not liking it, headsets were really stiff and freewheels were not freewheeling due to thick cold grease.

Like what was said above, the ground is perfect, muddy areas are rock hard.
    Agree on both points. I went for a ride at Tolt earlier this week in the high teens/low twenties and the cold was causing some issues with the dropper post and shifters. Hydro brakes are just happy in the cold though.

That said, I *love* riding in the cold. The colder the better, for as cold as it can get around here at least. Trail conditions are super fun, you can see well, and come back with a clean bike. As for night riding, I think that's just a factor of the time of year: it's technically "night" at 5pm.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    I'll take a dry 18 degree night over a 37 degree rainy night.
    2013 Stumpy Evo

EMBA Member
    Last year every time I was out when the temp was below 25 or so, my XT rear shifter would freeze up and I was stuck in whatever gear I was in until the bike warmed back up. I re-lubed it, but it didn't help. I like cold weather riding and night riding, but below 25 is getting pretty close to the limit for me anyway.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    We ride every Wed night no matter what the temps/weather, Eastern WA here. Last Wed it was 10 with 10-15 mph winds, dry and very cold but we managed 1hr 15 minute ride then cold beer. Post ride was all about what shoes and gloves to wear. Bikes work fine, a few guys with dropper seat posts had slow reaction on the return but other than that, fun fun fun!

mtbr member
    I was at Henrys Wednesday evening, leaving before 7:30. I saw no body but noticed plenty of the glittery trail sparkles on everything. Shined my light into the creek on Beaver Tracks, I have never seen so many fish in there. The troll bridge on Derailleur looks twice as long- no thanks! I did end up with multiple layers of socks, now have to work on maintaining hand warmth. Plenty of traction and clean bike was also nice.

mtbr member
    I love the cold, and frozen dirt is about as good as it gets. Mid teens to low 20's is perfect riding weather.
    I've never had any cold related mech. problems in that temp range. In New England and Colorado we used to ride well below zero. Shocks get a bit stiff, but brakes and drive trains are fine in the cold, unless the get clogged with snow and ice.

In New England, mountainbikers consider any " double digit temps " nice riding weather.

mtbr member
    I night ride every Friday solo no matter the temperature and agree with Mr. Lynch - better to ride in the cold vs. the rain.

Very seldom do I ever see anyone on Friday's but the times I've been able to Wednesday or Thursday nights Tokul E's parking lot has almost been full.

Feel free to pm me if anyone wants to ride Friday's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Cold weather night riding= popular?

Cold weather night riding - holiday style!

http://reviews.mtbr.com/video-light-...rider-and-bike