mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Cold Creek joins EMBA?

Curious what the specific benefits to both groups will be? Anyone involved in this and care to comment?

"The big news is, CCMTB has joined the Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance. Come hear what this exciting new arrangement has to offer."

mtbr member
    Hi Jim,
    I'm going to guess that you are familiar with the Cold Creek riding scene since most of us folks who live near Seattle probably do not. I believe we are talking about a little ways a outside of Vancouver, WA. Here is a quick, off-the-top-of-my-head response to your question.
    From Evergreen's perspective: We want to advocate for as many Mtn bikers in Washington as we can. And I think our recent record speaks for itself. Most WA riders probably don't realize how much value we have in having a paid Executive Director who can meet with land managers and politicians. Plus, we have a desire to build a stronger state-wide Mtn biking community.

From Cold Creek's perspective: a way to be part of a bigger organization while still having local control. Evergreen can represent CCMTB in regards to issues with the DNR.

So just a few quick comments for you. And hopefully I can get down there and check out the Cold Creek trails this year.

Peter Sherrill
    Evergreen Board Member

I5Troll
    Thanks Peter. I'll let Glenn or Stacy chime in on the bigger picture, but here's a specific example of mutual benefit based on my personal experience.

I have been working closely with DNR at Tiger, Reiter and the Raging River. Discussions have also involved the Yacoult, North Fork and Dry Hill. There are HUGE opportunities at all of these, but also HUGE challenges. Decisions are being made in Olympia that will impact just how future trails can be designed and built statewide. If done with users' needs & wants (recreational objectives) balanced with DNR's business and environmental objectives, that could mean more new awesome trail opportunities than I could have imagined. Without that balance, the backcountry experience is at risk. We stand to lose the challenges and inherent risks that make mt biking a sport and a passion for us.

In other words, we're not just dealing with the usual expected funding, permission and competing user group challenges. It's all about sanitizing... wider, flatter, straighter, cleaner, etc.

We can't expect DNR alone to represent our desired user experience. To have an impact, user groups and agencies like Evergreen, WTA, MTSG, BCHW, motos really need to work with DNR at the state level -- with the decision makers in Olympia -- as well as our awesome local on-the-ground recreation managers at each park and trail system. IMHO, the Evergreen chapter model and teaming up statewide is really the best way to go about that.

Sweet
    I am not with Cold Creek but can attest that Evergreen has been nothing but helpful and supportive with me. I have been working on mtb only trails in a park in Kitsap area. EMBA has dealy with the parks on issues like work party waivers and liability so I can stay in the dirt working. We have log rides and jumps and drops being built, all on a novice/inter scale. But we are opening the way for advanves in Kitsap.
    We also have been in discussions about protecting what we have and gaining more by having a chapter specific to our needs in the Peninsulas....
    More fun than an open casket funeral

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    We are super excited to have added the fine folks in Cold Creek as our 4th Regional Chapter (in addition to Methow, East and Central)! The more we work together the stronger and more powerful our collective voice becomes.

So while it's imperative that local riders band together in their areas to negotiate for access and protection, and build trails, in the long run we get much more accomplished when we all work together. Our Chapters can stay on top of local issues and projects, while using Evergreen for support (or as the lead) in negotiations with politicians and land managers, trails projects, and in getting the word out about what's happening in their part of Washington.

Evergreen's mission is to create and protect sustainable riding opportunities statewide. And our Chapter model is proving to be a very effective model for achieving that, and a win-win for everyone who rides in Washington!
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
    sustainable trails. rider powered.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Looking to go for a quick weekend road trip next month. Hit Sandy ridge trials one day and cold creek the other but can't find any info/maps for cold creek any more. The cold creek mountain bikers web site is gone and can't find anything on Evergreens site. Can anyone post the old map of the trials. thanks

mtbr member

Re: Cold Creek joins EMBA?

1,2,3 what are we fighting for?
    Last edited by Len.Francies; 03-28-2013 at 12:39 AM. Reason: less stuff to argue about.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hi RRBFUN,
    We're still working on updating the Evergreen trails wiki with fresh beta from our local chapters, but I've contacted the folks down at Cold Creek and asked them to chime in here and share any info with you here.
    Happy Riding!
    Stacy
    Quote Originally Posted by RRBFUN View Post
    Looking to go for a quick weekend road trip next month. Hit Sandy ridge trials one day and cold creek the other but can't find any info/maps for cold creek any more. The cold creek mountain bikers web site is gone and can't find anything on Evergreens site. Can anyone post the old map of the trials. thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by EvergreenStacy View Post
    Hi RRBFUN,
    We're still working on updating the Evergreen trails wiki with fresh beta from our local chapters, but I've contacted the folks down at Cold Creek and asked them to chime in here and share any info with you here.
    Happy Riding!
    Stacy
    I am with Cold Creek Mountainbikers and am currently working on getting the website back up. In the Mean time...

Here is a link to the DNR map for the area: http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/e...ll_06_full.pdf.

Here is a link to Google Driving directions from I-205 to the parking area at the Cold Creek Bridge: I-205 S to NE Dole Valley Rd/L-1000 - Google Maps

We also have a Facebook Group : https://www.facebook.com/groups/106430019402365/

-Bob

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CascadeBob View Post
    I am with Cold Creek Mountainbikers and am currently working on getting the website back up. In the Mean time...

Here is a link to the DNR map for the area: http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/e...ll_06_full.pdf.

Here is a link to Google Driving directions from I-205 to the parking area at the Cold Creek Bridge: I-205 S to NE Dole Valley Rd/L-1000 - Google Maps

We also have a Facebook Group : https://www.facebook.com/groups/106430019402365/

-Bob
    Thanks looking forward to it. Ron

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The Cold Creek Website is back up again, with more info on local trails. Check it out here: Cold Creek Mountain Bikers

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Website works for me:
    Maps | Cold Creek Mountain Bikers