Dream Design Dig Repeat

Climbing Ranger Creek on a 1x9?

I don't own any bikes with front derailleurs any more, and haven't yet upgraded to a 10 or 11 speed with the easier gearing. Has anyone climbed up Ranger Cr on a 1x9 (11-34 cluster in back)? It's a nice climb for me with a granny.

I'm in moderate to good climbing shape right now, definitely not great. Wondering if I'll be able to pedal or if I'll end out pushing a lot of it.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    What's your chainring? I wouldn't want to try it with my current 36, but maybe with a 32.

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    32 ring with 11-34 cluster on 26" wheels on a 29lb do-everything older Trek Remedy. So many variables these days.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    Sounds doable to me. It'll certainly hurt more than with a 22, but I bet you can do it.

mtbr member
    That sounds pretty tough to me. I borrowed a buddies bike a few weeks ago when mine was stolen, and he has a 1x9 with 32t front and 12-36t in the back. We rode Tokul and by the 5th climb my legs were toast. When I got my bike built the following week I did 6 climbs at TE no problem.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    You guys and your single rings are crazy !
    Running a 20t-36t low gear myself, albeit on a 29'er.
    I have a name for people with single front rings -

walkers !

all in good fun of course

STFU, Donny.
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by juice View Post
    32 ring with 11-34 cluster on 26" wheels on a 29lb do-everything older Trek Remedy. So many variables these days.
    You MIGHT be able to climb the road with that setup on a hardtail if you are in absolutely excellent climbing condition, but not the trail and not in any way on a 29-lb full-suspension. For reference, I'm a very strong climber who has ridden 1xN on several bikes for over a decade, including in the Palisades area. In top condition on 26-inch wheels, my rule of thumb for full-sized climbs is that they require (for me) a .733 (ring/cog) minimum gear ratio. Your minimum of 32/34 = .941. Not even close. You would need a 25T (25/34 = .735) ring to have a good chance, and I'm still just talking about climbing the road.

I'm running 1x10 on the new 11x36 cassettes and 27T (27/36 = .750) is the minimum I can get away with for full-mountain climbs.

But you can always hike the tough parts!

Rant: I do not understand why manufacturers are not supporting single-ring crank setups that are smaller than 27T, especially when 1xN 650B and 29er mountain climbers would need them even more than 26ers. I haven't seen anyone spinning out on tech descents with 26in tires and 27/11 gear, so the range has plenty of room to go lower.

Second Rant: IMO, there is no need for that silly 10T cog on any XX1 setup. Not off-road. This, to me, means that 1x10 with 11/42 cassette range will soon win the drivetrain war and become a standard on stock bikes.

mtbr member
    The 10t is actually does come into play when you start putting 28t and 30t front rings on xx1. I run a 32t on mine and I occasionally use the 10t in the back. The 10t would be more useful for 29er riders who throw a 28t front ring on.

With 32t front 42t back I have nearly the same lowend I did with my old 2x10 which had a 24t front and 36t rear.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Good fitness and healty knees? Sure. Do it.

mtbr member
    the question is "when are you doing this?" I saw Len's post about clearing blowdowns recently but is it worthwhile yet? I'd do a Ranger cabin outnback if i knew for sure its clear........

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    You go this bro, just giver like a Canadian would.
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Bring beer, in case you have to get off and push, you'll be thirsty

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    You guys and your single rings are crazy !
    Running a 20t-36t low gear myself, albeit on a 29'er.
    I have a name for people with single front rings -

walkers !

all in good fun of course
    Ha! No shame in a little bit of walking. I guess since I SS a lot in the winter I've learned the W gear is quite useful.

On shorter rides I don't really mind just powering through the climbs, but the bigger rides in the "real" mountains is where I could definitely use an extra gear or two so the legs don't blow up too early in the ride. I'm still glad I ditched the front derailleur.
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yeah that's where my philosophy differs. Since this is the internet I want to preface by saying this is not an argument nor am I presenting my view as superior to others. But since we're talking about biking not actually biking I will pontificate - MB'ing is about getting out in the woods and enjoying ourselves in many ways, but certainly we can all agree that one aspect of what we're enjoying is improving our craft - being a better cyclist than the day before. When you boil it all down, what is the single central skill of bicycling ? I would argue it is not hucking a 30 ft'er, or winning a x-country race, or being first down the hill - the single central facet is - staying on your bike ! To me the theoretical ideal is riding the bike no matter what the trail throws at you. That is my quest. So I do feel shame upon walking - no, too strong a word, I feel VIRTUE upon riding.

There is one time I don't mind walking, and this might make you laugh - long tedious road climbs.

BTW is the primary motivation for single rings about weight (250 g ?), simplicity, chain retention, ground clearance or a general yes to all of the above ?

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    Yeah that's where my philosophy differs....

BTW is the primary motivation for single rings about weight (250 g ?), simplicity, chain retention, ground clearance or a general yes to all of the above ?
    Simplicity, reliability, and chain retention for me. I don't really give a crap about weight, to me a 30lb bike is light. Started SSing in the winter a few years ago and became willing to mash taller gears. But yah, a granny is better for those grinder technical climbs.

You're cheating by climbing such an easy gear, where's the challenge in that? We all have different styles and philosophies, which is one of the cool things about our sport.
    jvpRE.com

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Most of our riding around here happens between 2-20mph. With a 1x drivetrain (I run a 30t front, 12-36 rear 9spd) that's a 2mph spread per gear. I'd be confused by any more options than that, not to mention they'd require more maintenance!

I actually like my MTB's to be geared like my road bike. My 1x9 MTB set up feels a lot like typical road bike double gearing, in terms of effort required. Work a little harder on the climbs, then rest when you can (just like on the road bike).

mtbr member
    I climbed Ranger (to the cabin) last year on my SX Trail with a 32 up front and 8 speed (11-32) cassette. I was able to pedal 75% (+-) and pushed the rest. I like to pedal and push because it gives me time to stop and take pictures and notice things I might miss while pedaling plus it works different muscles. I now have an Enduro Evo with 32 up front and 10 speed (11-36) cassette. I think I'll be able to pedal that entire stretch if I feel so inclined (no pun intended) but really couldn't give a toss. For me mt biking is about being in the woods and going fast downhill; pedal, push or drive to the top just save energy for the descent.

mtbr member
    I dont know about you guys, but I prefer the trail climb up Ranger vs. the road climb up Corral.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    I dont know about you guys, but I prefer the trail climb up Ranger vs. the road climb up Corral.
    Right with you on that. The Corral ride climb is one of the worst, between the grade and the dust from constant traffic when the gate is open.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Just to throw another wrench in the works....climbing up palisades and going down ranger creek gets you a longer descent....since a CW loop has you going down white river instead of up, plus you climb the staircase etc but ranger is all ridable going down.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Just to throw another wrench in the works....climbing up palisades and going down ranger creek gets you a longer descent....since a CW loop has you going down white river instead of up, plus you climb the staircase etc but ranger is all ridable going down.

No interest in ever riding up coral pass again.

mtbr member
    The Suntop climb is just as bad.

I've thought about climbing Palisades one of these days. It seems like it would be a pretty cool climb once you got past the staircase.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Something that I've been meaning to do the last few seasons but it never bubbled to the surface once the snow melted was to climb Suntop. We hit snow the last time we were goofing around there in late June but the bottom third was nice (we made it just past that side trail to the waterfall). I haven't been to the top since before they rebuilt the trail - can't remember exactly when that was but its possible I could say "since last century".

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Did an out and back on Ranger today and it was basically clear up to the cabin. A couple short patches (a few yards) of snow, but they were near places most mortals walk anyways. Hit heavier snow immediately after the first switchback up from the cabin towards Dalles ridge and turned around. Only saw a group of three other people the entire time..