mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Climb Only Trails?

Has anyone ridden the machine made, groomed, single track climb only trails in Squamish? I've never seen or ridden one until this weekend. They were a beautiful way to knock out the 1500' climbs to the top of the downhill runs and let you climb almost entirely to the top on single track. The only negative I saw was that they intersected some of the downhill runs and required careful and large signage warning the climbing traffic to yield to the downhillers.
    Last edited by wipp; 05-31-2013 at 12:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Sounds interesting. So they were just machined smooth the whole way up?
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    They were definitely built by machine but the final finish was a classic 18" ribbon of perfectly graded switchback trails. If your familiar with the trails behind Quest University where Full Nelson is, you'll remember the grind up the service roads to get to the top. Now there is just this buff trail that winds through the area and finishes up at the top. I should've taken some pictures

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    This sounds cool, is the DH portion doable on a rigid bike? I like the idea of getting to climb to the top, yet to try Squamish and have been looking for a good ride in that area.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Sounds awesome.... Queue the old guys complain about there not being enough rocks and logs in the climb. (Yes, i also grew up j-hopping over log log piles.)

With average downhill trail/rider speeds increasing, directional travel is increasingly appealing in popular areas.

Evergreen Member
    Jun 2009
    Interesting concept. I have also toyed with the using the concept in a mixed use trail network design; the climb only trails are shared with hikers and the downhill trails are bikes only. This reduces the perceived user conflicts as the speeds are more comparable. The downside is...?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by squakmtn View Post
    Interesting concept. I have also toyed with the using the concept in a mixed use trail network design; the climb only trails are shared with hikers and the downhill trails are bikes only. This reduces the perceived user conflicts as the speeds are more comparable. The downside is...?
    The relatively small minority of people who prefer to climb steep, technical, twisting trails may feel like like they are being restricted in their choice of trails to climb. However, I think most would agree that the majority of riders prefer to ride these types of trails downhill and climb more moderate grades. Also, people who want to ride down the nontechnical, low-angle climbing trail may feel restricted. Again, hikers who get upset about being kept off of any trail will of course be opposed. As you state I also think that the lower speed difference between someone climbing on a bike and someone hiking hugely reduces the user conflict. I also prefer to climb a trail when I feel confident that no one will whip around a blind corner coming downhill straight into me. The downhill is also much more enjoyable when there are generally not people moving up the trail. I think it's a great way to set things up if you have the option. People climbing and hiking up the summit trail on Tiger for example is absurd. The trail is clearly made to ride a bike downhill on; and the whoops must be really annoying for climbing than hiking. Not only that, but the visibility is not all that great with the big rollers and berms.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by squakmtn View Post
    The downside is...?
    Very little downside as far as I could see. It seemed to me that the idea is not to turn existing technical trails into smooth climbs, because the trails were purpose built and I don't think they used much if any existing trail. Riding them feels more like a way to *gasp* Flow uphill when your on them. I didn't see any hikers, but considering the overall effort it still takes to motor up the climbs, user conflict is a total non issue. Heaven on earth for those carbon 29er folk and a really nice ride up for those riding a 6X6.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by unicrown junkie View Post
    This sounds cool, is the DH portion doable on a rigid bike? I like the idea of getting to climb to the top, yet to try Squamish and have been looking for a good ride in that area.
    I'd go for it! Lot's of downhill options there, and all the trails are rated. When I was up there the Test of Metal XC was using a lot of the same trails I was on. The BC Stage Race this year is climbing the Climb Trail and descending Half Nelson and a good chunk of those guys will probably be on carbon HT 29ers. If by rigid you mean full rigid, well... I guess if you have a good dentist and bionic forearms :-)

mtbr member
    I heard Tiger will have a Climb only trail to the summit.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Mammoth has had Uptown/ Downtown (climb/descend only trails) for pretty near 10 years. They run between town and the resort. I always thought it was a fabulous idea. Like maybe for GR

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Some Loop trails in Colorado are one way half the month and the other way the 2nd half the month. Works stupidly well and mixes it up nicely too. Plus if it's a popular trail they make no bikes only two days a week!
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

I got the velcros
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    I heard Tiger will have a Climb only trail to the summit.
    It already does - the main road.
    Why anyone would want to go down it instead of the other sweet dh options isn't logical.