mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Cle Elum Lake Area Information/Conditions?

Going camping up there with my wife and some friends. Never been over there and looking for advice on places to ride as well as expected conditions this time of year.

Based on the evergreen site it looks like there is Rat Pac and Roslyn ridge. I don't know much about those two areas so any additional info or other areas to hit would be awesome.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Conditions should be good; we were starting to see dusty/dry conditions begin, but have had significant rain over the last week which has now stopped and the sun is shining. If you lean towards the technical, Rat Pac would be the most interesting. Roslyn has lots to explore and you're never really more than 20 minutes from town on the downslope, so you can bail quickly if the weather comes up. If you are more into cross-country adventures, you'll be in a good position to check out the Teanaway via Sandstone Cr. I haven't done this ride but borneo has been out in the vicinity lately and could probably comment if this is a worthwile venture! Or combine them all into one big ride if you like. Check the maps on the Evergreen Trails wiki. Have fun out there! -tabby

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Indeed I have! Depends on where you are along the lake. (Where camping?) LOTS of off the map stuff along the ridge to the East from Jolly Mountain to Cle Elum. Sandstone backs up to Corral Creek Road which has great access to lots of moto stuff around the saddle. On both sides. Talked to some moto guys who were trying to get up to Sasse but only made it half way due to snow. But that was 2 weeks ago now. Rat Pac is actually pretty far as the bike rides from the lake but you can get to the big slab Dingbat Creek fairly easily. I'd swing by REI and pick up the Green trails map for that area. Cooper River, up at the headwaters out of Salmon La Sac is fun as well albeit a bit short. You can extend that ride by taking the road high right as you come out at the CG at the top and take it to the wilderness boundary and then take the trail down to the one that goes to Pete Lake and male a lollipop ride out of it. So many options..... Scrolling around on google earth will also help put perspective to everything as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Can anyone give a condition update on area trails? Might North Fork Taneum be in decent condition once the rain lets up? I've only ridden out there once; last July I think.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Was out on NF Taneum last Saturday. Lots of moto whoops, but all sawed out and ready to roll.

I might be out that direction tomorrow, will report what I find.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr View Post
    Was out on NF Taneum last Saturday. Lots of moto whoops, but all sawed out and ready to roll.

I might be out that direction tomorrow, will report what I find.
    Please do! It's over an hour's drive for me but I really like to ride the dry side when I can as long as it is not wet clay conditions

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Does someone know if a West Fork -> Middle Fork Teanaway loop would be possible now, i.e. is there still snow at 6000 ft. near Jolly Mountain? Also, on the east side, is the Teanaway Ridge something that's good for mountain bikes?

Thanks!

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonguy View Post
    Does someone know if a West Fork -> Middle Fork Teanaway loop would be possible now, i.e. is there still snow at 6000 ft. near Jolly Mountain? Also, on the east side, is the Teanaway Ridge something that's good for mountain bikes?

Thanks!
    WF->MF Teanaway is probably going to have to wait. Creeks are still running high right now so MF would probably be sub-optimal.

Teanaway Ridge is sweet, but if you've got a yen for the high stuff and a lot of wheaties to burn you might consider the Lookout or Peaches loops, as I believe reports are that it's all sawed out and ready to roll. Or you can try combining them like I did a couple seasons ago... just plan on a long day.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah, Middle fork would be a little rough yet. Unless you don't mind getting your feet wet. A lot. Probably no issues to deal with. Not sure if Mikki and the moto crew have been out to clear both yet. Upper West Fork was pretty rough last year. Verslo, we actually had some moto guys on the Cub Saddle at the WaWa ask us if we've ridden Mount Clifty yet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks for the warning about the MF. I'll stick with the north-east side of the Teanaway; haven't explored there at all.
    I did a HAB along North Ridge last weekend. Besides the gravely trail surface being unrideable uphill most of the time, there were patches of snow & mud between where Mt. Clifty trail forks off from North Ridge up to where North Ridge (which then is Cle ElumRidge) joins Manastash Ridge trail. If that makes any sense. It looked muddy on Manastash Ridge, so I turned around at that point.