Just roll it......

Chuckanut / Larrabee State Park Planning - Your input is needed!

As many of you know, the Chuckanut race had long transitions that really added to the mileage and time. Much of that was because of the current lack of trails available in the Park.

Do you like to ride bikes, trail run, hike or swim at Larrabee State Park? Would you like to see additional trails that are appropriate for those uses? If so, please read on…

The WMBC and other user groups are about to embark on a planning process for Larrabee State park. Last spring, we presented the park with a proposed trail plan and that helped spur on this more comprehensive planning process….with trail planning being one component.

TWO WAYS YOU CAN PROVIDE YOUR INPUT:
    • Attend a meeting! The first will be next Thursday, January 16th from 6:30 – 8:30 at Fairhaven Library. If you can attend, please do!

• If you can’t attend the planning meetings, but would like to provide what you’d like to see in the park, send an e-mail to Larrabee.Planning@parks.wa.gov, or by calling Park Planner Randy Kline, (360) 902-8632. Randy is leading the process and is very receptive to all user feedback.

A few examples of items the WMBC has proposed:
    • A trail below Double Black to the interurban that helps keep bikers off of Fragrance Lake trail. This trail is already routed and has been hiked with park staff.
    • A proper climbing / multi-use trail from Fragrance Lake to the Cyrus Gates Overlook Parking Lot that gets riders/hikers off Cleator Road. This has preliminary routing.
    • A new trail network in the southern end of the park – south of Fragrance lake Road and west of Overlander. These have preliminary routing.

A bit more info. from State Parks:
    ------------------
    The Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission announces the beginning of a public process to develop a management plan for Larrabee State Park near Bellingham.

Washington State Parks has completed more than 100 land-use plans for parks around the state, through its Classification and Management Plan (CAMP) process. The public planning process in each case addresses overall visitor experiences, natural resources, use of park buildings, recreation areas and trails and other topics of interest to the community. Land classifications within the park boundary are identified to guide operation of the park, taking into consideration any stewardship and protection concerns and allowing appropriate recreation uses.
    ----------

Thanks for everyone’s help with this process. Your input is greatly appreciated!

EB

Trail Director, WMBC
    WMBC | Just another WordPress.com site

mtbr member
    Wow, that's a well thought out trail network plan! I thought I saw flagging in the DBD extension area. That zone is sweeet!

I'm away for work so I won't be able to attend the meeting, but Kelly is going to try to make it. She's really involved in the trail running community. I know they all would love to see more single track as well. I think it's really important that all trail users show up and not just mountain bikers.
    "Bound to cover just a little more ground"

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by playdead View Post
    I'm away for work so I won't be able to attend the meeting, but Kelly is going to try to make it. She's really involved in the trail running community. I know they all would love to see more single track as well. I think it's really important that all trail users show up and not just mountain bikers.
    edit:
    Thanks, Robbie. The Chuckanut plan took 5 months of scouting and flagging, so I think it's pretty well dialed, but there's always always a ton of refinement and then public comments.

Hey, you can attend a future meeting (there will be more) OR, even easier, email Randy Kline. Let him know where you live since you're just down the street and that you want more mt. bike trails in the park.

Larrabee.Planning@parks.wa.gov

Word.
    EB
    Last edited by ebxtreme; 01-16-2014 at 01:38 AM.

Just roll it......
    Hi all,

We had about 100 folks (from all user groups) at the Larrabee Meeting last night. The mt. bike representation was a huge number of attendees.

REMINDER: If you couldn't attend the meeting, but would like to see more bike-appropriate trails in the park, send an e-mail to Randy Kline at: Larrabee.Planning@parks.wa.gov

Every little bit helps....thanks!
    EB

mtbr member
    Very cool Eric. I will send an email. Thanks for all your hard work, you are swell!