mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Christoff?/Deep creek

Never tried riding this trail, done others out there. Anyone have any input? I've read It can be overgrown or have snow till late June. Anyone have any information on the conditions of deep creek?

Appreciate any advice you have

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Christoff/Huckleberry is the bomb. Probably still some snow and definitely a little route finding. But, steep, not played out by skidiots like Deep, and definitely raw. Probably a little snow yet though it is farther down the valley and faces West but dropping out at the tavern in Greenwater is tough to beat. Partially shuttleable too for the pedaling impaired.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    If me and my mates were pedaling impaired how do we find out about the shuttle route? I found this , is it accurate? Christoff Mountain Biking and Hiking Trail #1171

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Accurate enough. We parked at the Fire Station and then rode up to 7010 and rode up that way. Some of the start of the trail is on old road to trail conversion. Then, there is a short road section. Then it gets a little confusing. The trail entrance isn't very obvious.

Near the bottom, you run into several local user built trails. Just keep going down when you have options and you will likely pop right out just to the south of the tavern.

mtbr member
    My understanding is it has not seen much use the last couple years and needs some work, brushing out and probably downed trees. You should check it out and report back

mtbr member
    May 2004
    ^^^^ What he said.

Fair to say it doesn't get much use any year and always would have a few downed trees at least.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I should probably start a new thread, but I have a question about riding Old Northway… does the lower half of the trail begin at the sign you see on your left about when driving up Crystal Mountain Boulevard?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Greydon Clark View Post
    I should probably start a new thread, but I have a question about riding Old Northway… does the lower half of the trail begin at the sign you see on your left about when driving up Crystal Mountain Boulevard?
    The trail actually begins down near the cabins and climbs up for .7 miles and meets the road about 2 miles up from 410. Go about 50 feet downhill and you will see the trail. Keep in mind that this is NOT a good choice to go up. It's 2 miles long and you'll have to push1.8 of those miles.

That said, the best way to do this is explained here:
    Trail:Old Northway - Evergreen Trail Guide

good pics too.

and in fact, I bet if you just wanted to do the loop - it would be snowfree by now. I am saying up the Crystal Mt trail to the first overlook and then down the Old Northway Trail.
    The last time I did this ride there were trees down on that 1st .7 mile part. Not a lot but you had to work a little bit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks. I’m looking for a new way to link Crystal with the trails off Corral Pass Road. For instance, parking near FS 7166, riding Northway as an out and back, taking a left on Crystal Mountain Boulevard to the lower Old Northway trail, descending to 410, and riding up Corral Pass Road. I assume if this lower section of trail isn’t filled with blow downs it is better than riding down FS 7166.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Greydon Clark View Post
    I assume if this lower section of trail isn’t filled with blow downs it is better than riding down FS 7166.
    I think so. Pavement and then a real trail.
    This map shows the trail and the road. Disregard all the colors
    Christoff?/Deep creek-northway_-old_start-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    There is one or two logs on lower North Way. Needs a little more work too.
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by scotteric View Post
    My understanding is it has not seen much use the last couple years and needs some work, brushing out and probably downed trees. You should check it out and report back
    some of us ride it several times a week! good to go! steeper than deep/ranger. several options to shuttle it. most use FS70 or divide ridge TH to gain access. I cherish this trail and it's rather unknown status as a ripping DH trail. I'd love to meet up with some fella's and show you how to gain the tip top of the Christoff via Slippery Creek and GME trails. it's a drive and a 15 minute push to gain the whole downhill ride. Subaru's won't make it. I live year round in Greenwater and am always down to meet on Sunday's and Tuesday's. Just joined the forum. Thanks guys- trevor

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aqua_verde View Post
    I'd love to meet up with some fella's and show you how to gain the tip top of the Christoff via Slippery Creek and GME trails. it's a drive and a 15 minute push to gain the whole downhill ride. Subaru's won't make it. I live year round in Greenwater and am always down to meet on Sunday's and Tuesday's. Just joined the forum. Thanks guys- trevor
    Just sent you a PM.......

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by scotteric View Post
    Just sent you a PM.......
    thanks for all the pm's fellas!

I have no cell reception in gw. email is best. let me know when you're already planning on coming up- I ride after work on evenings and have my sunday/Tuesday weekends. open to anything within those days- I don't get out of my valley much. everything else is too flat to have fun

tnicely04 at gmail dot com or PM here (I will check it often as I can).

Last word is all yours...
    Quote Originally Posted by aqua_verde View Post
    some of us ride it several times a week! good to go!
    Aqua Verde, eh? I see what you did there...

Hey, if you're willing to do a "local's review" of this:

Christoff

and let us know what you think, and/or offer any pics, vids, maps, GPS tracks, etc - that would be great. This is one of only a couple 410-area trails I haven't ridden yet, but I'm stoked to explore it this season.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    there's a magical period of time between snow and grass to figuring out divide/huckleberry ridge as a zone during the annual melt but before it's overgrown. i don't mean to be reclusive not sharing info on a forum- but i assure, we can drink beer and ride without the internet just fine! contact me if you know you're coming up. bear grass is blooming big right now. trails hard to follow and there's road crossings on the upper.

it's fun to read about our area trails on this forum! you guys do a ton of work and put up a huge effort. the couple of us full timers that ride never knew about who was doing all this. props! maybe next spring we can help out with melt off updates. suntop was going two weeks ago except for a section of snow at the buck creek turn!

FM
    luxatio erecta

Christoff shuttle?

Thinking of giving this a go tomorrow, I see there's an Evergreen page now:
    Christoff

Is the shuttle option just driving up 70/7010 ?

Aqua_verde, I emailed you... PM or reply if this is better offline.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hey all, Evergreen's 410 Fest is Sept 12-14. Trail work day will be Sat, the 13th. Here is the link to the event:
    Evergreen MTB Calendar

Come on out and ride, camp, dig, and have fun with us! If any of you guys want to ride Christoff thursday, the 11th, let me know. I would like to get a look at what needs to be done on that trail. Maybe we can get a crew up there during the sat. work party...

Hope to see you all there!

Cheers, graham@evergreenmtb.org