Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Chikamin Creek Trail Loop Video/RR

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Tarekith 
#1 · (Edited)

Chikamin Trail Loop at Garmin Connect - Details

I've ridden many of the trails in the Lake Wenatchee area but had always skipped the Chikamin Creek Trail option #1561; opting instead to head down Minnow Ridge to the truck. Usually it was because the option came up at the end of a much longer Epic and Minnow seemed the easier choice. 1534 on the topo map looked like 5+ deep drainage crossings over 3-4 miles, followed by a fall-line skidder descent. Not attractive...the final descent is litterally a straight line on the Green Trails map.

But this time we wanted to try something new so why not. We climbed the 6200 road which was in fantastic shape. A low grade climb that took 1:20. At the top you can continue to climb up Chikamin Tie Trail to the left or go right and descend Chikamin Creek. The first 2 miles is one of my favorite descents beginning with a rocky switchback section but then morphing into a fast, flowy, forest run.

Normally the tread here is super dusty loam from dirtbike traffic, but it rained earlier in the week and overnight giving us serious hero-dirt. the next left is the drainage section 1534. It was as imagined, fast descents into the drainage and steep climbs back out. You actually gain elevation overall to a crest (see elevation profile in link). A grinder for sure but it ends after 45 minutes and the wild descent begins.

It started just like the topo shows, steep straight down (not in video) but surprisingly leveled out and became a sweeeet ridge ride. What a perfect trail, carving around the trees in and endless series of low angle connected S-turns. You never have to pedal but never get going too fast where heavy braking is required. Short climbs check your speed just enough before throwing you into the next ribbon section. Almost all of this is in the video. Truly one of the best natural trail descents in the region and well worth the effort.

3 hours total, 16.9 miles and about 2500ft. The GPS map says 5000 but that's a glitch.

See less See more
#2 ·
Right now I'm a little confused. But I hope to figure it out. Minnow Ridge has some climbing on the way out. But also some sweet descents. Hopefully what You guys are showing is the otherbway out which you are calling chikamin creek? We've heard that is mostly side hilling. Not at all what I have seen in your video.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.