Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Cherry Valley WP report

YGD and Cyclops got a complete weed whack and leaf blow today and are wide open and ready to roll. Conditions are great and only going to get better. Will focus on Funner and Elevator next. Plenty of hikers at the trailhead probably heading out to the falls and back.
    Funny how the local shuttle monkeys have not figured out yet that you can shuttle these.....

4.5 hours and a gallon and a half of mix. Evidence of some recent moto use as well...

NW MTBER
    About how many miles of trail out there? Anyone have a map they would share?
    I think it's just around the next corner...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hmmm, maybe 10-12 miles with the trails out to the falls and back? There are several roads in very limited use that are practically trail already but the purists wouldn't count those. There is a map here File:CherryValleyTrailmap.pdf - Evergreen Trail Guide

But, it's not the detailed one that should be on there. PM me and shoot an e-mail address and I'll send it to you. One can connect to Moss Lake as noted on the map at the bottom by crossing the Tolt Pipeline as well.

Most of the trails are "Tokul East" style in that they fall down the hill between roads that you can climb back up on. Other than the trail out to the falls. I'd stay on the upper old road bed that was put to sleep and dug up than on the lower trail this early in the season.

mtbr member
    Is the "trail" to the falls clear now? Last time I was there right before the turnoff to the falls a new river crossing was too deep/fast to get across. Beautiful spot for a lunch break, though lately the hikers have been frequenting it pretty heavily on nice weekends.

Bob, if you go out to do any work on Funner during the week, let me know or post here. I'd like to help if I can schedule around my work, weekends are booked for now though
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I heard today that is a yes...

Yes, the trail to the falls has been "discovered" by our WTA folks and they are out a lot. Especially in the past year or so since a Cherry Falls page has gone up on their website. We had better ride there more or they may eventually persuade the DNR (who recently and reluctantly acquired the property) to kick us out and apparently we don't have enough places to ride as it is already. But, these are sub par trails way out in the boonies. So, who really cares, right?

Planning on it perhaps this week. PM me for an after work party. Maybe you can put more flow into it than I can foresee.

Here's an old Cyclops video from Farmer pre brushing...

Cherry Valley - Cyclops - YouTube

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Got to ride cyclops today. That is a gem of a trail. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You're welcome. I just revived it when the OG builder moved away. Did you also ride YGD? It's wide open and fast right now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yes we rode ygd. Great trail as well and thanks for the trailwork and I hope that someday we can help out. We rode Elevator and Funner as well. Cyclops is in a class above those trails in my opinion. It is a case of feeling the pull of gravity and succumbing to it rather than having to fight it. Cyclops is a trail that just keeps asking you to let it out. (Scent of a Woman reference). And it is lengthy.

mtbr member
    Doh, forgot about this thread! I don't know if I'm going to be able to meet you during the week Bob for trail work now (work got crazy), so instead of riding today I went to CV to do some trail work while I had the time.

For some reason I was thinking that Cyclops needed some work, but once I got there I saw you had already hit it. Decided to start tackling Funner instead, and managed to get the upper 2/3rds brushed back and raked to single track smoothness. (I didn't build any berms, I promise. Though I was tempted...).

After 5 hours I was spent, so I couldn't get the rest of Funner today. Most of the the remaining section is just cutting back the ferns and other plants growing over the trail in a few places, especially around the ladder bridge over the creek. Probably a 10 minute job for a gas powered weedwacker, but it was taking me a lot longer with my hand powered loppers

Hopefully I can find the time to get back out there an finish it before your ride on Wednesday.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Can't believe you rode Funner Wicksted, how did you even find the start? Wow was that overgrown, quite a few sections were so thick you couldn't see the trail for some ways. Glad I just hiked in today.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    There's tools nearby too. And, you are welcome to berm what ever you want. Not tomorrow but Tuesday perhaps. Any motos been up it lately?

mtbr member
    I might take you up on the berm offer, I see many ways this trail could me made.... flowier. Would be interesting to adopt a trail.

A tool stash would save me tons of time, McLendons wanted $110 for a McLeod!

No motos or anyone been up it in awhile, it was seriously overgrown in a few places, looked like it hadn't been touched by anyone in months. Wickstad might have been the only brave soul in awhile.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Believe it or not, I had "more flow" in mind when I built that in the first place. There are a few spots that could use beefing up to support going a bit faster. No McLeod's in there as they are indeed like gold. I can bring out my Karakoram all AL/Steel one though.

mtbr member
    Probably not needed, I just wasn't sure what to expect before I headed out there so I thought better safe than sorry. A standard metal rake worked just fine for that trail. Looks like I might be able to finish brushing out that trail later this morning.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Tarekith

PM sent...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Pretty sure it was Funner. The one that leads down to the bridge? We were out there with the same person who helped Borneo with cyclops and ygd. Even that person had trouble finding the bottom of elevator. Thanks for your efforts and I hope to get out there again soon.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I was planning on going up Elevator and coming down Funner to brush the trails, and I couldn't even find the start or end of Elevator this time.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Funner is now ready to ride, should be nice and fast now. Expect more improvements to come!
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    "More Fun" er......

Would like to keep that little creek gap thingy there if possible. And, beef up the approach to the boulder roll.

Will check it out tomorrow when out there. Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Update. Big blow down mess on Sick and Twisted is gone. Same with some other random blowdown on No Road and a few other places. Will try to get to Elevator Wednesday. Tons of cars at the trail head last Wednesday and even this afternoon. No bike racks which scares me. Thanks to Westra, the wiki is updated with a little better map scrawled by yours truly along with the old one.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Post ride report. Got out there and got a nice loop in last night. All the front range downhills were great! Thanks Tarekith for clearing Funner. Yeah, I can see a few speed killers now that it's more open and you can really rip it in sections. We rode up Elevator and it's 85-90% ridable but there are some sections that can use a brushing. YGD and Cyclops were also in great shape. Lower trails will need a brushing soon but are totally ridable now. Just not as fast. Had a couple first timers and they were pleasantly surprised at how fun it all was.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Felt guilty taking peeps up Elevator the last 2 times so spent today whacking and then raking it top to bottom. Totally ridable either direction now. Also opened up the entrances more so people can find it better. Just up hill on the right from the exit of Cyclops and the top is about 100 yards down from the upper road split to Funner. Once again, TONS of cars at the trailhead when I was heading back. None with a bike rack. Not sure why Cherry Falls is so popular with the hiking crowd now. But, it is.... Hope more mountain bikers start feeling the same...

mtbr member
    Popular because there's a cool waterfall and pool you can swim in without hiking up 2000 feet. Boring yes, but easy as well.

First time I saw those falls I was shocked there were not more people there based on what I've seen since I moved out here.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Well, it's "found" now.... Maybe 15 people out there when Sue and I came by Thursday morning. The narrow lower beach trail is 15 feet wide at the bottom now too. BTW: You should be able to find Elevator now and I threw some fresh dirt on the little root up on Funner before the shovel broke.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Oh, and by the way, someone (I assume a hiker) found it necessary to spray paint in silver, directional arrows on trees and on the ground all the way out to the falls and back.... Rather gaudy I'd say....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast