Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Cherry Valley RR 2014

Took the singlespeed out to CV today. Have not been out since late fall. All trails have signs of winter motto use. With the exceptions below, trails are clear and rolling great. Rolling as good as anything at Tokul.... Well worth the extra drive time while West is getting logged.

To-do list.
    Funner is clear.
    Cyclops has a cluster of 3 8-12" trees down near the bottom.
    YGD has a 12" Fir about 3 feet off the ground in the last/lower section.
    Sick and Twisted has a punky 12" down.
    Lower single track has a few 4-6" downs.

Also someone has tractored and cabled in 3 large logs across the creek just below Lake Margret.

I will try and get out this next week and take care of the few that I can with my handsaw.

UDXC

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Sounds good. Thanks for the report. Not sure when I will get out there next.

mtbr member
    One would have to actually leave Alpy for that huh?
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    True... Good today and getting better by the hour. Got out just in time.

Planning a complete re-vamp of Funner this summer as well as some work on YGD and Cyclops as well. Keep the old school vertical gnar but maybe open them up a little too keep the speed constant. More riders should know the CV trail system...

mtbr member
    Sorry I haven't been out to work on Funner more, this stupid shoulder surgery messed all that up this winter
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Got out there with Evil Betty and his son this morning. Did the full meal deal going down Cyclops, Funner, and YGD and up Elevator. Same results as UncleDeanXC noted above. Sawed out a few of the smaller ones. Trails in great shape but all the usual creeks running. Ended up just walking through some later on since we were already wet. Only 3 sets of hikers on the way out to the falls and back. So sad how beat back the falls area is now that it has been "discovered" by the WTA and NWHikers. Came back the lower trail and not too bad. Planning on doing a walkabout ot there this spring/summer and getting rid of all the downed speed killing logs once and for all. Main rain didn't kick in until the YGD/Sick and Twisted/No Road/Black Label finale. Still real good. Log bridge at the top over Margaret Creek now has 7-8 logs and looks like just wide enough for the local quad rider we saw. Still better than crossing through the creek which was roaring....

mtbr member
    Cherry Valley RR 2014-image.jpgCherry Valley RR 2014-image.jpgThanks for the tour Bob, always fun riding new areas. That place defiantly has it's own feel to it. We will be back!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Like! (Sorry) wrong format.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Spent a loooong day out there yesterday and logged out the above noted issues and a few more. Then, ran the blower over YGD, Sick and Twisted, Elevator, Cyclops, and Funner. Will be back out to do some bench work on YGD and then Cyclops first. Ran into the builder of the Margaret Bridge,. Lives at Lake Margaret and thought it needed one to get across the creek. We talked a little about design and what to do next. 18 cars at the trailhead. The hiking community sure has "found" the area. Odd that there is still no one I can see veering off the main old road route to the falls and back. Admittedly worried about such high rates of hiker use in the area. There are a few places you can really go fast on your bike and I hope this doesn't cause any issues. Saw UncleDeanXC with his foldable trail running with the dog and that was it. Sure would like a few more folks riding out there as I think having a presence out there will be important in the future as well as the fact the trails are running great right now!

mtbr member
    Thanks for your work Bob. I got to enjoy the fruits of your labor today. YGD was very fast, I almost found myself in the bush after one of those left hand down hill sweepers.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Cool. Find your way around well enough? Didn't make it back out yesterday but am hoping to pick away at some better benching on YGD and Cyclops in particular in the coming week. Then, over to Elevator and Funner. Escalator is also definitely going in this spring and I'll let you know when I'm planning to log out the lower trail to/from the falls.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    CV Tour 4/25/2014
    My Tuesday night group will be riding CV this week. Ride 6:15-8:15. Plan on using decent lights for about 60min. We will hit all the trails and maybe make a trip to the falls depending on foot traffic. Beers and chips afterwards. (if you bring them.) It will be a very social pace nobody gets dropped.

I will be in a white Eurovan with a Titus bike. Meet at NE Cherry Valley Rd & Kelly Rd NE, Duvall, WA 98019

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks Dean. Me thinks more people would ride here if they could find the proper routes. (Generically, up the roads, down the trails, like T-east. Still a local gem but would be better if we had more riding it. I will also be posting some EMBA calendar rides there as well soon. Lower stuff like No Road could use some brushing now.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah, me again... Got out there this sunny afternoon and spent a few hours on YGD (You're Goin' Down) opening up some curves and benching a little better on the side hill stuff. Stoopid fast right now. Enough to hurt someone. Cyclops is next. hopefully next week. Then, Elevator and Funner. Then, time to finally build Escalator. Still 3 cars of Cherry Falls hikers at the TH.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    UncleDeanXC, Evil Betty, and I got out there today and finished up tweaking Cyclops for the year and also worked all the way up Elevator for your singletrack climbing fun. Totally ridable all the way. Funner is next and then adding Escalator. Typical huge crowd of hikers going out and back to the falls. Helped some lost ones, again.... Will be posting some Evergreen rides out there this summer. Stuff is already riding real good. Against better judgment, took a tired run down YGD at the end of a hard day with Evil Betty and he had his chest cam running so hopefully we can show some footage.

mtbr member

Ygd

Not my best run down it and I need to move the camera angle up but you get the idea..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LaS...m-upload_owner

here Sick and Twisted...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk63...nU8-qgiiBz6Azg

Trails are great Bob, good work. I am hoping to make it out there this week for a after work ride.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I suppose everything is riding great right now anyways...

Spent a few hours on upper Funner this afternoon. Nice to see several bike tracks out there from the weekend. Keep it going! And, nice to see someone else starting some dirt work as well. Thanks! No mud to speak of at all. Finally cleaned Elevator. Yay!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Did you dig out all the rocks on the upper section?

I rode for a few hours yesterday then worked for about an hour on Funner. The trails are rolling much faster than they have in the past. Seeing lots of track from riders over shooting turns. Tuesday group is riding at CV again. Meet 6-8pm at the bottom. I

Congrats on cleaning Elevator. Now you need to clean Funner in the up direction.

UDXC

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hell no. The rocky upper part is part of it's allure. I did try to find some good soil to fill in some bumpy sections and the roll over is a good air opp now. Did take the lower rock out before the short upper climb to shoot through faster and added more dirt to the popper which will send you now. Just let it go from the stump. Tools are down the trail. PM me and I'll tell you where. May get back out later this week.
    For the strava types, Matt Patt has a 2:25 on YGD which blows my mind.

Ride up Funner? Never. (Did check out the new trail you have roughed in off it though. Looks very doable.)

mtbr member
    How's the bridge on funner holding up?
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Hell no. The rocky upper part is part of it's allure. I did try to find some good soil to fill in some bumpy sections and the roll over is a good air opp now. Did take the lower rock out before the short upper climb to shoot through faster and added more dirt to the popper which will send you now. Just let it go from the stump. Tools are down the trail. PM me and I'll tell you where. May get back out later this week.
    For the strava types, Matt Patt has a 2:25 on YGD which blows my mind.
    It wasn't quite 2:25. 2:49, but he is fast. He has a KOM on Tres Hombres over in Derby Canyon that is also nearly unbelievable: 8:18.

He has two pages of KOMs on Strava. 0_0
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Name:  Funner Bridge.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  8.1 KBI have no idea what a "KOM" is Dan. I was told 2:25.

Tarekith, Bridge is holding up great! Rode across it last Thursday.
    Last edited by Borneo; 04-15-2014 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Added picture

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    KOM == King Of the Mountain. Sorry for the Strava vernacular and jargon.

How slippery is the bridge at the bottom of Funner? The last time I was on it, it scared me enough to jump down and ford the creek instead. I couldn't walk it, much less ride it. Some chickenwire or asphalt shingling would be welcome on its surface.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    May 2004
    It's just fine. Neither are needed. Walked it a few times last night.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Never even heard of Cherry Valley. With UncleDean's posting I was able to look it up on Google Maps. Looks like an all day thing for me. If you ever do it on a Sunday I will try to make it up. Looks like a gas. Slim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast