Thread: Cherry Valley?

mtbr member

Cherry Valley?

What type of riding is Cherry Valley? I have never been out there and I'm curious what to be prepared for.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hehehe. 89 views and no replies. That's pretty much the deal. CV is one of the first places I rode with the BBTC back in the early '90s but it stays under the radar and a locals kind of place I guess. It's a place where you will see folks hiking out to the falls, a kid on a moto high fiving you as you both ride by and occasionally equestrians as well. Most of the trails are between Kelly Road and Lake Margaret with mostly road climbs and singletrack descents.

Cherry Valley - Funer - YouTube

Cherry Valley - Cyclops - YouTube

Here are couple vids that Thomas put up from last year right before both got brushed out. Margaret Creek is a steep drop to the right on the Cyclops vid.

One can also take the old road down and out to Cherry Falls which is pretty cool to see. The horse folks have reopened the old rail grade trail and it was good last fall but I'll bet it is a little beat up right now.
    Essentially, some flatter trails down low and then session the front range trails like YGD/Cyclops/Funner. Fairly steep road climbs like Tokul East. About 500 feet vert per run.

Nothing currently "DH" or nu skool FR but classic PNW singletrack.

mtbr member
    Ah, very cool! Sounds like a great place to explore. Thank you for the insight!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Sure. For the front trails, I just think, trail/road/trail/road/trail/road... if you look up the face of the hill. There are 3 road climbs with a trail in between all and YGD on the left (north) side. YGD/Sick and Twisted/No Road/Black Label is a good nearly all singletrack finish too.

Man without bike
    Jun 2004
    Looks good. Will likely check it out if I ever get a break from work/kids anytime soon.

mtbr member
    May 2004

It's been posted before, but...

Cherry Falls. About 3 miles from the gate/trailhead.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cherry Valley?-cv-falls-2008.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Not sure if I trust this source but, YGD/SnT/Cyclops/Elevator/and Funner all got the rake/leaf blower treatment and are rolling amazing right now.

mtbr member
    Sweet picture! I'm going to try to get out there sometime next week. I only live about 15-20 minutes from there, but with work and family...

mtbr member
    Are the Cherry trails dog friendly?
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Been out there many times, still have never seen the falls in person. not sure if they really exist.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
    Are the Cherry trails dog friendly?
    Sure. Used to take my Aussie out there all the time.

Jimba, you should be able to fly over there and get a pic pretty easily. Or, we can ride out there for a change instead of sessioning the front range for a change.

mtbr member
    Yea, i want to ride out there, flying is boring.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Better picture of the falls.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Once we get the lower section cleaned up I'll lead a Tuesday Night Tolt sampler if anyone is interested. Would add about 15min of driving from the Tolt Middle School.

Dean

mtbr member
    Borneo, thank you for the tips! I headed out there today and it was GREAT! I probably spent more time on the access roads than necessary, but that's really due to not being familiar with all of the trails. The trails that I did hit were in great shape and tons of fun. The water is really ragging up there right now. I will be back for more exploring again soon.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Sure, no problem. Hehehe. So, that was your track I saw. I was out after work today and logged out and cleared No Road so it's good to go. Just needs a raking. Which trails did you ride? Got a better lay of the land now?

mtbr member
    Yep, that was me...Conti Rubber Queens!!! I'm pretty sure I was all alone out there. Well, except for the big cat paw prints that I saw.

I'm not sure which trails I rode by name, but looking at the map (or following my tire tracks), I headed up M100 with the intention of finding the waterfall. Up past the bridge, I went past the first road on my right, staying on M100. Not too much further, the road seemed to split. The road to the right looked new (or newly graded) so I wasn't sure if I should be going left or right at that point (it's obvious to me now though). I decided to hang left which took me up a gnarly climb where I met up with the 200 intersection, at which point I realized that I should have stayed to the right of the split on M100 if I wanted to see the falls. Not necessarily wanting to go back down on the access road, I headed left down 210 with the intention of finding the trails that headed down hill back toward M100. I somehow rode past the first trail on the left, but I found the next trail that heads down...the one where you have to take that short right off of the access road to find the trailhead. From there, I hit 170 to the right and found the first trail on the left, which I rode all the way back down to M100. I ended up on M100 near the bridge, missing the other trails to the right coming down. Not sure how I missed them.

I was running short on time, so I had to head out after that. I will be back out there for sure.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Gotcha. That was YGD and Sick and Twisted (the one with the little bridge by the mud hole) It's a good way down and I take the second right on No Road once SnT gets to the old road bed. That takes you over to near the top of the first little climb in the road. then, I catch the trail above the road, crossing through the ditch and down Black Label which comes out on the south side about 100 yards from the gate.

You did need to stay straight up at the middle road climb to go to the falls then veering right and back down. Cyclops is in the woods on the left of that road climb you did and Elevator and Funner are in the woods to the right...

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatmepants View Post
    Yep, that was me...Conti Rubber Queens!!! I'm pretty sure I was all alone out there. Well, except for the big cat paw prints that I saw.
    There must be a resident cat in the area because I've seen some very fresh looking paw prints out there myself, by the bridge. I always had the feeling I was being watched out there.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Never seen a cougar out there. But, I have seen and chased on the bike once, a pretty good sized bobcat a couple times. Both times were down on the old road bed by Cherry Creek. (Not to be confused with Margaret Creek which divides YGD and Cyclops...) Different drainages. Funny, I've never seen a bear out there or Griffin but I have seen several in the Tokuls over the years.

I didn't do it
    I bet those bobcats were thinking "what the..., When is this guy going to stop."

It seems like bears hang out at Tokul. I haven't personally seen one but I've heard a lot of reports of them out there. I wonder if there are territories held by certain species in certain regions. For example Tokul might be bear territory, Cherry Valley cat territory. It could be an available resources thing?

I always feel lucky when I see wildlife, even if its of the "dangerous" variety.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I've only seen bear at Tokul. Once I frightened some cubs which scared me even more. Where's momma bear?
    I almost hit a bear coming down the 39th street access road too. He was sprinting across the road as I was flying around a corner. I came within a couple feet of clipping his hind legs. One of those moments I'll never forget.
    Last fall, I chased a coyote on the GS skidder road. He kept turning around to see if I was following...weirdest thing. I think (s)he was leading me away from the rest of them. I'd heard that some coyotes will do that.

I do need to ride CV one of these days.

Cheers
    Mike