Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Check out Pro Rider Billy Lewis in "It Pays to Be Courteous!"

2K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  emptyvoxel 
#1 ·
Overall, life for mountain bikers in Washington is pretty darn sweet…We've got hundreds of miles of trails to suit every style of riding, and more being built all the time.

However, there is something that is a tremendous threat to the mountain biking universe as we know it. Watch as pro rider Billy Lewis demonstrates exactly what this threat is - and how to avoid it and help ensure we keep getting more trails to ride.
Video by: Kevin Philbin

#3 ·
What I learned:

1) If your group is slow, dont ride 5 wide down the trail!
2) It doesnt matter how HOT you are, you shouldn't hike/jog on steep trails used by bikes.
3) if you have a faster rider on your rear wheel, get out of the way!
4) skid steering is the way to go!
5) Horses belong at the racetrack or the glue factory.

All kidding aside, great video!

#9 ·
Kudos to Julia Raab and Mollie Kimble (and their horses). Bringing horses into a MTB video is pretty awesome. I wish more of the horse folks had their attitude. It seems I either have an awesome, respectful encounter with horse riders...or I come across a horse rider that just sketches out.

My favorite encounter was when I had my young alpha Malinois (a type of shepherd used as a working dog) and a rider who was on a young horse (beautiful black stallion). Both animals were 'hi'. It was my dogs first time seeing a horse, and the horses first time seeing a bike contraption with all its mechanical sounds, plus a dog which was not the least bit afraid of the horse. I got off the trail with my dog, and the dog and the horse had this serious stare down, sizing each other up I think. Meanwhile, the horse owner and I had a few words, and all the anxiety in the air vanished. Both animals picked up on our calmness, and were much safer around each other because of that. Additionally, the horse rider is not in as much danger should he encounter other bikes and dogs on the trail.

#11 ·
I watched it twice !

Just, you know, to check out some of the cool jumping and riding and stuff.

But I felt like more time should have been spent on the interaction with the joggers and maybe some scenes regarding what the courteous approach would be if you were riding, very very slowly up behind them and didn't want to pass, ever.

#13 ·
'cept most of the interactions are not what "really" happens on the trail, SVT, or at the trailhead. But, we can play along.... I mean, really, who ever goes blowing by you(as in any of us) with that attitude that also has the skills to back it up? And, still think it's funny when Tyler gets a beer he can't readily open....

#18 ·
Well done. Non-riding friends and family that watch my videos think from what they see that I'm flying down the trail defying death almost continually. The truth as you all know is far more sedate than that. But I think the perception of borderline out of control riding is easy for non riders to end up with - especially when they are startled from behind or head on around a blind corner. Exaggerated trail scenarios is unfortunately what some non-riders perceive to be the norm. I've found that a little exaggerated courtesy goes a long way.

#23 ·
Thanks for all the comments y'all. Glad you're enjoying it and that's it's sparking conversation and comment. Hopefully everyone gets a good giggle out of it too.

Just FYI, I can personally attest to both the fact that there are hot chicks in WA - and some do ride because I ride with them. Of course most aren't single because some nice guy snapped them up. :)

#24 ·
We can tell those gals don't ride... It's pretty obvious.

Problem is that like going to the bathroom, they ride in their own groups too. :) And, Evergreen perpetuates that by promoting so many "ladies only" events... That usually means that it's a sausage fest at the other calendar rides. Used to lead a ride in conjunction with some female leaders called the "hormonal convergence" just to get some interaction going.... But, that's another thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.